Love At First Sight

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in love at first sight?

Wow, I'm surprised and a bit sad. So few old-world romantics!

YES! I do believe in love at first sight. I think it's unusual in today's world, but still possible.

I fell in love witha boy when I was 17. I didn't even know his name, but I knew I had to meet him. I was a REALLY naive virgin and lightening hit me hard - it burned me to the ground. Forty years later, we're still loving each other. He was the first boy I fell in love with and the first boy I ever had sex with.

Sadly, we have not spent the entire 40 years together as a couple. His family sent him away to be 'cured.' Thankfully for me, it didn't work! The poor thing tried though. He's divorced with three kids now. But his kids know about us and it's cool.

Would it have been the happily ever after without ll the obstacles you faced and growing as a person in the middle of it? I'm so happy for you guys. :2thumbs: I have to believe there is love too, just not at first sight though.

Would it have been the happily ever after without ll the obstacles you faced and growing as a person in the middle of it? I'm so happy for you guys. :2thumbs: I have to believe there is love too, just not at first sight though.

Boo. Hiss...

I think it was love at first sight. Who knows what might have happened if...

The love has lasted and can be freely expressed now. I think I'll keep the memory as is, I like thinking it was love at first sight, sorry.

I hate that you say love is not in your future. How can there be a future without it?! Even if it's not in the form of a partner, it can come in many forms! We're taught to think that we all SHOULD have a partner and that, in itself, will make us more complete and happy. Perhaps you are someone that will have very close friendships that last a lifetime. Friendships seem to last longer than partnerships anyway!

And isn't it sad that we're taught not to talk to strangers? That stranger may have been the most amazing person you would ever know, sleep with, live with, love with, play with! Next time you're at the airport, you find a stranger and go say hi to her. Or at the mall, grocery store, fingernail place, makeup counter, ANYWHERE!

Then report back here, thank you.

LOL thanks for jumping on me like that!

but no, that's what i meant. I don't see romantic love ever really happening to me.

Friends and family i have, and plan to have for a very long time, and to enjoy forever and ever :D

and yes. Been talking to a lot more strangers since then.... :D

• Like 1

LOL thanks for jumping on me like that!

but no, that's what i meant. I don't see romantic love ever really happening to me.

Friends and family i have, and plan to have for a very long time, and to enjoy forever and ever :D

and yes. Been talking to a lot more strangers since then.... :D

Plaah. Stupid gal...

Lily darling, what do we do if you fall in love with me at the first sight? :lol:

Okay, I'm curious for the couple of people who believe in actual love (not just confused lust) at first sight. How do you think it works that someone can fall in love with someone else upon seeing them for the first time and knowing nothing about them? I'm just curious, not bashing you, to find out what you guys think makes love at first sight possible.

Okay, I'm curious for the couple of people who believe in actual love (not just confused lust) at first sight. How do you think it works that someone can fall in love with someone else upon seeing them for the first time and knowing nothing about them? I'm just curious, not bashing you, to find out what you guys think makes love at first sight possible.

My guess is:

- scent

- old souls recognizing each other

- similarity in personality

But hey, those are my quesses of what might explain the phenomena. Does my guessing count if I don't believe in love at first sight? :blink:

My guess is:

- scent

But hey, those are my quesses of what might explain the phenomena. Does my guessing count if I don't believe in love at first sight? :blink:

I would agree with Marzipan's comment and would add a soul kinship of some sort -- I guess this is what you were suggesting. The American Indians seem to have had this kind of sensing ability.

I have had one encounter of this sort:

One that has held onto me for some 30 or 40 years accrued while I was photographing a wedding. I worked most weekends for a photo studio who booked weddings. One day, I met 'this days groom' and had an instant connection with him. Needless to say, he was one awesome dude. He was stuck in my brain for the rest of the day. I was also beyond horny at that point.

As I was preparing to leave the reception, I went to both the bride and groom to shake hands and wish them well. I reached out for the grooms hand but we connected gripping each others wrists firmly. Why we mutually connected in that fashion, I have no idea -- it just happened! It was an instant connection which, to this day, I still recall in detail. The moment was electric -- it is etched into my memory banks. I know the two of us could have walked out of that hall and been together for ever.

Did we instantly fall in love ---- I don't know. I sure would love to go back and relive that moment. I offen think of that evening and wonder ~~~~~~~ What might have been.

Edited by Eddy

Plaah. Stupid gal...

Lily darling, what do we do if you fall in love with me at the first sight? :lol:

Well then, my darling Maria... i guess i'll move in with you and try to trick the Finnish authorities into letting me stay... or you could follow me somewhere :D :D :D

It'll be like CJ and Antti in real life :D

if only you could plan it!!!

(edit : Only if you fall in love with me, too....)

Edited by Zolia Lily

Well then, my darling Maria... i guess i'll move in with you and try to trick the Finnish authorities into letting me stay... or you could follow me somewhere :D :D :D

It'll be like CJ and Antti in real life :D

if only you could plan it!!!

(edit : Only if you fall in love with me, too....)

I'm sure the fininish people would let you stay :P

I believe in love at first touch. When we first touched, held our hands, I knew he was the one. :) We had an immediate connection that is only getting stronger. :) It also has something to do with smells I think. You instictively are searching for people that smell nice to you. In my previous relationship something just wasn't right (and it wasn't just that she was a girl :P). Something was missing.

I agree with you a 100% the touch and the scent have been MAJOR factors to me too.

Wow, I'm surprised and a bit sad. So few old-world romantics!

YES! I do believe in love at first sight. I think it's unusual in today's world, but still possible.

I

Unusual, Hell yes! but yes!! possible!!!

My guess is:

- scent

The third point I'm not so sure abt Maria, but i definitely Think the first two are right! :D

Okay.. so this is what happened to me...

I met him through friends of friends... and for some reason, i had to get closer; which i did. when I shook his hand, this feeling overwhelmed me, on an impulse hugged him. It wasn't a party, it wasn't even a get-together with friends, this was just information gathering about a college i wanted to get enrolled in. so the hug was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy off and frowned upon. for some reason, that didn't matter. My mind was immediately made up as to which college i would be attending. met him again after 3 months. and there it was... the same impulse to get closer, the same feeling of wrapping my arms around him as soon as our hands touched. I didn't want to go another moment without having them... i still dont want to go another moment without him assailing my senses :P

I've always been a 'hugger' and i've hugged other guys before, people i thought i had 'interest' in... But like Paya said, something was missing. something was ALWAYS missing.. something was complete when i looked at him, shook his hand and drew him into my arms :D : D

So, yeah, for me... Love at first sight is VERY real... and it definitely exists!thumbsupsmileyanim.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

For me, part of the belief that love can appear at first sight is simply believing that it's possible.

Being open to the possibility allows for it to happen. However, I also believe that our lives consist of more than what we can see, define, touch, understand. Unexplainable events happen every day. And what's wrong with that? I like the idea that there may be a surprise around the corner. Knowing everything and boiling everything down to its mathematical essence takes away the magic and wonder. Life (for me) really needs to be more than a chemical process in a lab setting.

Only in the last few years has the public been hearing about pheromones. Or the tiny nasal organ that can pick them up. We never knew that pheromones existed, much less the powerful influence they have. Perhaps some receptors are hyper-sensitive to certain pheromones and that's what we call love at first sight...er scent.

Chemicals in our brains get released for specific purposes, triggered by specific situations. Dark chocolate, exercise, and love making all cause similar chemical reactions in the brain. Perhaps our brains release chemicals upon the sighting of specific things that for whatever reason mean something to us. When I see a handsome guy, I -feel- a reaction. When I see a handsome guy - who is buff and hairy, the reaction is far, FAR stronger. Conditioned response? Probably. But the point is, the body reacts in all sorts of ways to all sorts of stimuli. We're still learning about it all...

I enjoy the mystery!

Edited by Tipdin
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I believe love finds us when we are not looking. Love at first sight is complicated. The eyes are the windows of the soul. I think sometimes when you look into someones eyes you see something you are drawn to, you want to know. to touch, to love. It is the opening that you must be willing to follow. I've heard it many times. I saw her and knew she had to be my wife. The first time I saw him standing there i knew he was the one. The look allowed something to click in one or the other and then they were willing to put themselves out there and let love find them. So a convoluted answer to a difficult question. I hope it makes sense.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

No. Attraction can be sparked in a look. "Like" can begin in a night. But love takes time and trial.

Perhaps. But what actually is love? What does the concept include? Is it universally the same? The way you define love is the same as the way I would define it?

A deepening of love certainly can take time. However, I again say that we humans do not know all there is to know about... well, anything really. For the most part, the process of digging or falling in 'love' is still a mystery. And I think that's one of its best attributes!

Edited by Tipdin
  • Like 1

No, I simply do not believe in love at first sight. Honestly, I'm not even sure I believe in love these days, but that's another story. I'd have to say love at first sight I believe it to actually be lust at first sight. Because everything that's attracting you to said person is all based off of looks and you simply know nothing about the person to say you love them. But, with that being said I still wouldn't mind experiencing this love at first sight. Deep down I'm actually a hopeless romantic in a world where love and honesty aren't high on everyones list.

I believe in love at first sight, yes, but not the sort of love that can tide you through all matter of things. I think that love is only 'true love' once you know there are things about a person that you don't like, but that you're willing to accept because of the good things. People who can't name anything that's wrong with their partner aren't in love - when you're in love, you know those things, they just don't matter. This is different to being in love when you honestly don't think there's anything wrong with them. That stage will pass, and it's knowing the things you don't like about someone that can tell if you really love them or not.