Love At First Sight

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in love at first sight?

Do you believe that you can instantly fall in love with someone upon seeing them for the first time? Do you you wanna marry them on your first date?

Personally, I think love at first sight is something created by some romantic sap and in poetry and literature. How can you instantly fall in love with someone upon first seeing them when you know nothing about them? Seems all lovey dovey and nice, but realistically way out in left field. I think you need to get to know someone first; learn about who they are and spend time building a intimate relationship. I've learned from experience that it takes time to actually truly fall in love and have a strong, intimate relationship. Yeah, theres puppy dog love but that isn't real love and is much more of an infatuation then anything else. Love doesn't just happen, it takes a helluva lot of time, effort, and work to make it happen.

• Like 2

At first sight? Nah. That's lust. Or you're just in love with the idea of someone, not the actual person.

I wish Disney would stop promoting this ( although I guess they've gotten somewhat better over the years). It's not good for impressionable youth.

I think you can. I guess though that for me I looked at it as a gut reaction, I knew the first time I read his profile. Lol, yes I met him online. Everything with us happened very quickly. We sure sure and it never wavered. We met in March, moved in together by August and were married in October.It wasnt perfect, nothing is, but we had a good marriage.

I think it can happen, ou meet, or see someone, and its there.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards no. You can definitely be infatuated with someone at first sight and that can turn into love but I think true love needs more of an emotional connection than "wow he's/she's hot". It doesn't matter how attracted to someone you are, even if it's not purely a physical attraction, if you don't have a deeper emotional connection then it isn't real love. At least that's how I see it.

Edited by Cyhort

what's love? I don't think you can have a deep, lasting committment without knowing the person but I still think you can fall deeply, hopelessly and permanently in love with someone at first sight. At the end of the day love is about working past your differences, the little things that you dislike about each other and learning to communicate and compromise. But all that comes after. Yeah... I think that love at first sight is not only possible but desirable.

• Like 1

I think you can. I guess though that for me I looked at it as a gut reaction, I knew the first time I read his profile. Lol, yes I met him online. Everything with us happened very quickly. We sure sure and it never wavered. We met in March, moved in together by August and were married in October.It wasnt perfect, nothing is, but we had a good marriage.

I think it can happen, ou meet, or see someone, and its there.

But was that first sight? You got to know him first before you met, right?

Visual sight? No, it wasnt. I fell from reading his profile, which was only about 4 sentences, if I remember right. I cant explain it, it was odd how I felt. He was from the U.S. I'm from Canada. But I knew from the start, he was the one and I never doubted it.

His looks by the way were great, at least for me, although his first picture that he sent, didnt do a whole lot for me. But I loved him already and nothing changed that..

The thing was, before I met him, if any one had posed this question to me, I would have said absolutely, no way, you cannot fall in love that fast, lust yes, but not love.

Visual sight? No, it wasnt. I fell from reading his profile, which was only about 4 sentences, if I remember right. I cant explain it, it was odd how I felt. He was from the U.S. I'm from Canada. But I knew from the start, he was the one and I never doubted it.

His looks by the way were great, at least for me, although his first picture that he sent, didnt do a whole lot for me. But I loved him already and nothing changed that..

The thing was, before I met him, if any one had posed this question to me, I would have said absolutely, no way, you cannot fall in love that fast, lust yes, but not love.

hehe I guess I'm too much of a self-doubter to ever trust my instincts in a situation like that. Sweet story, though :)

We met through an art project that turned into a personal ad, and I thought...maybe. Then I met him in person, and I thought MAYBE! and something melted in me.

Last October marked 20 years together.

Quibble over definitions of love and first sight, if you like, but it's good to leave a little uncertainty in your life. It can leave room for unlikely possibilities to creep in.

• Like 3

We met through an art project that turned into a personal ad, and I thought...maybe. Then I met him in person, and I thought MAYBE! and something melted in me.

Last October marked 20 years together.

Quibble over definitions of love and first sight, if you like, but it's good to leave a little uncertainty in your life. It can leave room for unlikely possibilities to creep in.

Well, I agree with that. :) Love can certainly be where you least expect it, and it is good to keep an open mind to the possibility of it.

Love at first sight, no,, like it was said,, Lust from the first time you see, quite possible, but I wouldn't say love.. In my opinion, you meet someone you like, and that you enjoy, that you feel attracted to, that you start loving, then you work on the relationship to make it grow even bigger.

I have never fallen in love at the first sight, instant attraction is a different thing. I fall for the whole package, and a first meeting doesn't really reveal that. But I do have this feeling of destiny, that I'd somehow sence the right person for me very early on. But time would really tell the difference.

The existence of "love at first sight" is doubtful. I feel there is more to it than that... Such as time. People often mistake deep infatuation as "love". I believe the term "love at first sight" is really something that lives and breathes in works of literature and the like... I think, maybe, because some humans find it appealing, the idea, that one can instantly fall in love with someone, plain and simple, even though many times this love is not returned. Honestly, I don't personally understand that concept, because it ruins the thrill of the journey it takes to actually fully fall in love with someone. Because, frankly, falling in love with someone is a journey. And it takes time. And energy. But when it comes to "love at first sight", there really is no effort put into it like there is in actual falling in love... Maybe that's a bit vague... but anyway, that's how I feel about that. :)

I believe that people can fall in love with the idea of love at first sight, if that makes any sense. I think actual love has to be the product of actually knowing someone.

Falling in love with love is so common. When one gets to know the other person, then the truth comes out and hearts shatter. I may be romantic, but I also am a bit cynic too.

At first sight? Nah. That's lust. Or you're just in love with the idea of someone, not the actual person......

From my own experiences (and not from some theoretical wishful-thinking :P), I fully agree with what the queen of this Kingdom says.

With ALL the persons (guys or gals) I met during the last 81 years (!), my positive impression (when I had one, I dont talk about the negative ones) at the first sight was either lust (sometimes a strong sexual desire) or sympathy ( the first step to friendship), never "Love At First Sight".

Neither I met anybody (guy or gal) who could tell me a story from him or herself or from somebody else who fell really in love at first sight :o.

Maybe it's possible, but I'm still waiting to live it (not for me, I'm too old and satisfied with what I got, but for a young people around me, who whould bring me to change my mind :huh:.

That's facts. All the rest is literature :blink:.

In Theory Yes in practise No

It depends on how you percieve love. For me its the willingness to give yourself entirely to somebody, to trust to accept to make a place in your heart that is theirs and theirs alone. By my definitions and by what i look for in love its not possible on first sight.

There can be connections formed and certainly lust at first sight but for me love is complex and needs to be worked on. When i first met Jack nearly 6 years ago it was lust. I wont go into to many details but i wasnt expecting him to stick around nor at the time did I want him to. Over time (yeah OK it took me 48 hrs) that view changed but it didnt start to change until we'd spent time together and listened to what each of us wanted from life and a partner and it didnt become love until we had established our boundaries further into the relationship

• Like 1

I believe in love at first touch. When we first touched, held our hands, I knew he was the one. :) We had an immediate connection that is only getting stronger. :) It also has something to do with smells I think. You instictively are searching for people that smell nice to you. In my previous relationship something just wasn't right (and it wasn't just that she was a girl :P). Something was missing.

I believe in love at first touch. When we first touched, held our hands, I knew he was the one. :) We had an immediate connection that is only getting stronger. :) It also has something to do with smells I think. You instictively are searching for people that smell nice to you. In my previous relationship something just wasn't right (and it wasn't just that she was a girl :P). Something was missing.

I'm sure that something was definitely missing ;)

Sigh... this thread should help me out of my romantic mood not get deeper in it.

• Like 1

Wow, I'm surprised and a bit sad. So few old-world romantics!

YES! I do believe in love at first sight. I think it's unusual in today's world, but still possible.

I fell in love witha boy when I was 17. I didn't even know his name, but I knew I had to meet him. I was a REALLY naive virgin and lightening hit me hard - it burned me to the ground. Forty years later, we're still loving each other. He was the first boy I fell in love with and the first boy I ever had sex with.

Sadly, we have not spent the entire 40 years together as a couple. His family sent him away to be 'cured.' Thankfully for me, it didn't work! The poor thing tried though. He's divorced with three kids now. But his kids know about us and it's cool.

• Like 1

I beleive in love at first sight. DOn't ask me why, don't ask me how, especially considering love is not something i see in my own future...

But i do get that sensation, looking at people or exchanging a few words with them on the street- 'yeah, i could be really good friends with this person'. That happens a lot to me. And some of these people are now my closest friends. So if i can feel like that about people i'm going to be friends with, then yeah, i see no reason why you can't just know for love as well.

I met a girl at an airport once, on a stopover. Well, 'met' might be an overstatement. I didn't have the guts to talk to her, so we never exchanged a word, but i just knew that we'd be friends. She knew too. I know i wasn't imagining it, and i know she felt it too. We definitely had a connection. We watched each other, and smiled at each other, and then stood next to each other and watched each other out of the corner of our eyes. I can remember her so clearly. I remember that whole hour like it was yesterday and not two years ago. STILL bloody wish i'd had the nerve to speak to her. Because i just KNOW we'd have been friends.

If not more. * sigh * she could have been The One.... and now i'll never know.

It was definitely not lust though. We'd both been on flights for 16 hours or something, i had spent the night previous to the flight in an airport and hadn't slept for something approaching 48 hours. We were both normal looking people, nothing spectular. But for some reason she struck me. And i couldn't look away.

I beleive in it. I HAVE to, i couldn't not. It's like i don't have a choice but to beleive.

It's weird. Normally i'd call myself a cynic, but maybe there's more of a romantic lurking inside me than i'd have thought...

• Like 2

I beleive in love at first sight. DOn't ask me why, don't ask me how, especially considering love is not something i see in my own future...

But i do get that sensation, looking at people or exchanging a few words with them on the street- 'yeah, i could be really good friends with this person'. That happens a lot to me. And some of these people are now my closest friends. So if i can feel like that about people i'm going to be friends with, then yeah, i see no reason why you can't just know for love as well.

I met a girl at an airport once, on a stopover. Well, 'met' might be an overstatement. I didn't have the guts to talk to her, so we never exchanged a word, but i just knew that we'd be friends. She knew too. I know i wasn't imagining it, and i know she felt it too. We definitely had a connection. We watched each other, and smiled at each other, and then stood next to each other and watched each other out of the corner of our eyes. I can remember her so clearly. I remember that whole hour like it was yesterday and not two years ago. STILL bloody wish i'd had the nerve to speak to her. Because i just KNOW we'd have been friends.

If not more. * sigh * she could have been The One.... and now i'll never know.

It was definitely not lust though. We'd both been on flights for 16 hours or something, i had spent the night previous to the flight in an airport and hadn't slept for something approaching 48 hours. We were both normal looking people, nothing spectular. But for some reason she struck me. And i couldn't look away.

I beleive in it. I HAVE to, i couldn't not. It's like i don't have a choice but to beleive.

It's weird. Normally i'd call myself a cynic, but maybe there's more of a romantic lurking inside me than i'd have thought...

I hate that you say love is not in your future. How can there be a future without it?! Even if it's not in the form of a partner, it can come in many forms! We're taught to think that we all SHOULD have a partner and that, in itself, will make us more complete and happy. Perhaps you are someone that will have very close friendships that last a lifetime. Friendships seem to last longer than partnerships anyway!

And isn't it sad that we're taught not to talk to strangers? That stranger may have been the most amazing person you would ever know, sleep with, live with, love with, play with! Next time you're at the airport, you find a stranger and go say hi to her. Or at the mall, grocery store, fingernail place, makeup counter, ANYWHERE!

Then report back here, thank you.

Edited by Tipdin