"New" Stories

It seems that as part of the migration process to the new system, we are losing original publish dates. A completely random example: today under "Story Announcements" was Chapter 3 of "Trillion Dollar Family". If I recall, that story was finished a while ago, and had 4 chapters. Is this an artifact of when the story is moved into the new system? And if so, will the original publish date be lost?

And finally, by looking at the home page, under "Story Announcements", is there any way to see what is truly new? Or do we need to wait until migration is complete for this feature to truly reflect "new" stories.

If there is a FAQ out there explaining all this, I apologize, but I could not find it. If so, could someone shoot me the link? Otherwise, if someone would answer my questions above, I would be truly appreciative.

Thanks

• Site Administrator

The story transfers were complete, for the most part, in January. Anything under Story Announcements is new. It is possible that an author is rewriting something or another. And there could be stragglers for one reason or another.

Well, I have a thread on the subject already (the last post is what you want) but I guess I should go over it again.

Trillion Dollar Family was a story originally written for the novella contest. But I wasn't happy with it, then or now. The ending was rushed because of the time deadline, and the entire story was rushed because I had to fit it in 70,000 words. It was too big of a story for the novella contest, and I didn't realize it until too late (unlike my current batch of stories, which look like they're going to be too short for the next novella contest...). I was shocked and amazed that I won any prize for it (I honestly felt Altimexi's work Fish out of Water should have taken first, which would have bumped me out altogether).

My solution was a complete rewrite of the story. In addition to edit work -- some chapters have major revisions, others just minor -- I've also added new chapters. The old story was nine chapters long, this one is nineteen. Nine of those ten chapters occur after what used to be the end.

I've put a notice in the 'story note' about this being a rewrite; how can I make this clearer to someone who stumbles across it, without hitting brand new readers over the head with it with a 2x4?

BTW, to touch on why I'm releasing the 'old' chapters one day at a time...

I'm trying to avoid flooding the entire 'new stories' section by spacing them out, rather than having the story publish, and then chapters one through ten, all up there bumping other people out.. If there's a better way to do that, please do let me know.

Edited by Rilbur