What movie or movies were family favorites in your house?

comicfan

I've seen topics on what was your favorite gay film, what made you cry, and a few others. It got me thinking about all the films I have. However when it comes down to favorite films in my family, and I mean my parents own them, I do, and so does my sibling, there were always a few we watched

1. The Wizard of Oz - This came on every year around Thanksgiving. You could bet that the night it was on I was going to bed late. When I got older and we owned it, first on vhs, yes I am that old, and then dvd there would be times the family just sat down and watched it together. It was something we just loved to watch.:wub:

2. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - It came on every year around Easter. All that chocolate, the ompa-lompas, the songs, and the incredible Gene Wilder. I mean this is one of those that when it comes on we call each other and watch it even if we aren't in the same state. lol. It is something that binds us together a bit. :2thumbs:

3. March of the Wooden Soldiers. Laurel and Hardy in black and white. I remember being scared by the Boogey men and being afraid the one little pig had been eaten. But that film is a classic.

So what were your family's favorites?

Little shop of horrors

Rocky horror

Monty Python (all of them)

Ferris Bueller's Day off

Lost Boys

Ghostbusters

Jurassic Park

Batman

Superman

Fight Club

Back To The Future

Basically just what my dad thought were good movies, we all watched

Star Trek First Contact

Demolition Man

Eraser

True Lies

Star Wars

I used to watch them ALL THE TIME with my parents when I was a kid. Well them and Terminator 2, Predator and Aliens but my mom doesn't really like them all that much so they aren't really "family" movies per se, lol.

1) Things Fall Apart - During Christmas, most of our extended family watches this book adaptation. 2) Titanic - We still watch this in our house at least once every month. My month is obsessed with it. Lol. 3) Osufia in London. 4) Sound of Music 5) Odugwu

Wizard of Oz, :wub:

Star Wars

Back To the future

Sound of Music

Guns of Navarone

Roman Holiday

:D

There are/were plenty more, these are just off the top of my head. :)

Since LOTR has released, we've been on THAT too :D

Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang

The Sound Of Music

Sister Act 2

Little Shop Of Horrors

Its A Wonderful Life

and thats all I can think of now

God Chitty Chitty, Bang Bang was so good. I loved that picture as a kid. Sound of Music too. I liked the first Sister Act better than the second one. Little Shop is a blast. I even played Mushnik at a local theater production. Its a Wonderful Life is a classic all on its own. Thanks for answering.

Sister Act 2

Lion King

Sound of Music

and It Takes Two... yes, the Olsen twins movie... we ALL loved it!

Was curious what films families flocked to. If it is the Olsen's then it is the Olsens. I don't know though, we liked both Sister Act movies but I still have a soft spot for the first one.

The Wizard of Oz

The Sound of Music

And believe it or not, any Jeff Dunham show. (I guess members of my family have similar senses of humor.)

Tipdin I always thought laughter helped a family through hard times. Glad to see you gather for the same humor as well.

Tipdin I always thought laughter helped a family through hard times. Glad to see you gather for the same humor as well.

Oh, I have a huge family and we all a bit on the far side of crazy. Laughing is extremely important to all of us.

Looks like the Wizard of Oz has it! One of my all time favouries as well. :)

Films on my dysfunctional family’s list are:

Wizard of Oz

Miracle on 34th Street

Polar Express

Lord of the Rings :wub:

Terminator.

Looks like the Wizard of Oz has it! One of my all time favouries as well. :)

Films on my dysfunctional family’s list are:

Wizard of Oz

Miracle on 34th Street

Polar Express

Lord of the Rings :wub:

Terminator.

I'll join you on the Lord of the Rings. Although my father can't stand it. But he has to put up with Tolkien anyway. I made the Hobbit my thesis for my Master's degree. lol

All the movies from Frank Russell Capra (May 18, 1897 – September 3, 1991) :

It Happened One Night (1934),

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936),

Lost Horizon (1937),

You Can't Take It With You (1938),

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939),

Meet John Doe (1941),

Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

It's a Wonderful Life (1946).

BTW, i suppose that all these movies are forgotten today :blink:.

"Arsenic and Old Lace" is the one I prefer .see there

And a lot of other European movies ( the list would be too long to be brought here :D).

Lost Horizon (1937),

Meet John Doe (1941),

And a lot of other European movies ( the list would be too long to be brought here :D).

A good list, Bob! I like those as well. Interesting that none of them at considered new. Do older movies have/send different messages than new movies? Is that what makes a classic...classic? Edited by Tipdin

• 3 months later...

There were certain films we watched year in year out that now I'm sick to darn death of seeing: Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. But there are other films that I watched back then then I still watch now because they are classics and just so great. The Great Escape and The Towering Inferno.

wow, how did I miss this thread? :P

When I was 6-7 years old, I was finally able to stay awake through our family movie night. We had a tradition where Dad would fold out the couch, we'd pile it with blankets and pillows, and Mom would make homemade pizza and donuts. We'd start with Star Wars IV and end with Return of the Jedi. I used to have these movies pretty much memorized. I remember my mom one time shouting at my brothers and me to "shut up already" because we were saying all the lines with the actors. hehehe

Later, we also did movie night with the Back to the Future Trilogy (my dad's favorite) and Star Trek (my mom's favorite), although we usually started with Wrath of Khan and skipped over 1 & 5. LOL.

Pretty much anything animated Disney as well.

Mom always played the George Strait Movie and the Hunt for Red October while working on taxes. Whenever Dad wanted to annoy Mom, he put on South Park. My youngest brother drove us all insane with Chitty Chitty Bang Bang every day for an entire summer (although he denies it now).

I always found The Wizard of Oz creepy. :P

Lost Horizon (1937),

Meet John Doe (1941),

Actually I've seen them all except You Can't Take it With You. I remember fondly watching many of these with my mother.

Before my Mom passed away, one of her new favorites to have us all watch was Nanny McPhee. I think those type of stories just suck people in.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was younger I remember watching Peter Pan, Aladdin and ET about a million times. I've also seen movies like Good Will Hunting, The Wedding Singer, That thing you do, Mrs. Doubtfire, Stripes, Better off Dead, Star Wars, Dirty Dancing, Ever After and Lord of The Rings like 10 times each- it seems like my family just keeps watching them over and over.

• 1 month later...

Well,I don;t really watch movies with my family because our preferences differ a lot. I like fantasy/romance movies with not a lot of drama, while my parents and brothers prefer action packed movies.

They watched a lot the karate movies with actors like Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee, and Jet Lee.

The movies I remember watching with my family more than once are:

Third World Cop

Robo Cop

Jurassic Park

Titanic

Men in Black

Ninja Turtles live action movie

Rush Hour films

Chuck Norris.

Movies/tv series I watched a lot with my brothers when we were kids are:

Kenichi

Power Rangers