• Site Administrator

So my beloved Calgary Flames were knocked out of the playoffs on Wednesday night when Chicago managed to beat St. Louis in the overtime :( Now I have to admit, I wanted to take my hockey puck and run home and cry, but I think I'm bigger than that :D

It is the time of year when spring has sprung, flowers are coming up and the city of Calgary gets about a foot of snow every second week. It is also the time that the NHL moves into the playoffs.

The past two years I have run a hockey playoff pool here are GA, and I'm curious if there is enough interest to run one this year. I always offer up a prize to the winner of a six month premium membership here at GA. This not only benefits the winner, but helps supports GA at the same time. The past two winners have not actually taken the membership and in lieu have donated the value of it to GA in their name. That is entirely the choice of the winner though.

So who would be interested in participating in this years NHL Hockey Playoff Pool? You don't need to follow hockey, you don't need to know who is the best, who is the worse,, you just need to submit an entry at no cost to you.

I wonder if Mark Arbour will be here this year, his Blues are out of the picture, but he has made a fine second place winner the past two years :D

Trevor Time has been boasting that he is the best in every sport that he picks winners in, is he willing to put his name on an entry 0:)

I| believe Krista was our only female entry last year, so will we have her and others of the fairer sex (:lol:) enter this year?

TetRefine is usually game for a good pool. Maybe Cammy will join him this year and they can fight over who gets to read the premium stories :P

So who is interested in joining? I will publish the teams that do make the playoffs and their ranking, and then all you have to do is guess who will win each round and move onto and win the Stanley Cup.

No entries yet, just say if your interested. This is especially true for Jack Frost who will probably just post that his Montreal Canadiens will win this year :lmao:

• Site Administrator

I got excited for the briefest moment, thinking this could be about NBA :(

The what? :P

• Site Administrator

Due to time sake, I usually give everyone a head start in the sense I wait till each team has the first two games of the first series played. So if your team is down 2-0, you have the option of editing your entry. Then at midnight I print off all the entries and they are final. :)

Edited by wildone

Ok so the match ups are as follows:

East

(1) Washington Capitals vs. (8) New York Rangers

(2) Philadelphia Flyers vs. (7) Buffalo Sabres

(3) Boston Bruins vs. (6) Montreal Canadiens

(4) Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (5) Tampa Bay Lightning

West

(1) Vancouver Canucks vs. (8) Chicago Blackhawks

(2) San Jose Sharks vs. (7) Los Angeles Kings

(3) Detroit Red Wings vs. (6) Phoenix Cayotes

(4) Anaheim Ducks vs. (5) Nashville Predators

My picks are

First round

East: Washington, Buffalo, Montreal, Pittsburgh

West: Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit, Nashville

Second round

East: Washington, Pittsburgh

West: Vancouver, Detroit

Conference finals

East: Washington

West: Vancouver

Champ = Vancouver

Edited by Ramon

Quarterfinal Winners:

East: Washington, Philadelphia, Boston, Tampa Bay

West: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Detroit, Nashville

Semi-Final Winners

East: Washington, Boston

West: Vancouver, Detroit

Conference Champs

East: Boston

West: Detroit

Stanley Cup Champions

Overall: Boston

I may be picking with my heart a little bit here, but I truly think the Bruins have a good enough team to go all the way this year. I mean, its been since '72 the last time we brought the Cup back to Boston. About time we do it again.

Edit to add: I picked LA to get past the first round simply because San Jose is hockey's biggest choke artists when it comes playoff time. Also, their AHL team is the team I grew up watching play hockey, so maybe I'm a little biased there. :P

Edited by TetRefine
  • Site Administrator

So seems there is enough interest in the playoff pool, so here we go. First a few basic rules:

• There will be one winner at the end of the 2010 Stanley Cup Hockey Playoffs. The winner is entitled to a six month Premium GA membership, paid by me :) . If the winner is already a Paid Member, they can extend their membership, or in the case of a Hosted Author, Moderator/Administrator, or even a member who isn't interested in the membership, they can donate the monies to the operation of GA on their behalf.
  • This is for fun. Their is no entry fee, thus taking away the gambling. If you're a member here at GA, you are eligble to enter. I'm sure there is ways to get around the rules, but hey, lets just concentrate on the fun.
  • The winner will be the person with the most points out of a possible 65. Each series winner is worth 5 points. In case of a tie, there will be a unbiased draw from the possible winners to decide the final winner.
  • Each round is a best of seven game series. I don't need to know how many games the series will be won in as this will make things complicated.
Round one series are:

East

West

Okay, here is the bonus. I will give each entry till 11:59 MST on Saturday to change or submit their votes. All teams will have two games under their belt by that time. This means if you picked a team in Round 1, then you have the opportunity to change your entry before midnight Saturday night. At that time, I will be printing off the entries so no further changes will be allowed.

Please look at Ramon's and TetRefine's enteries above. That is all you have to do!!! Have fun and if you have any questions either PM me or ask them here in the topic.

Let's have fun and continue to talk the pool up. The more people that join, the more fun it will be :)

My picks are

First round

East: New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins

West: VancouverCanucks, San Jose Sharks, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks

Second round

East: New YorkRangers, Philadelphia Flyers

West: VancouverCanucks, Detroit Red Wings

Conference finals

East: New York Rangers

West: Detroit Red Wings

Champ = New York Rangers

Quarterfinals:

East: Washington, Philadelphia, Montreal and Pittsburgh

West: Chicago, San Jose, Detroit, Anaheim

Semifinals:

East: Washington, Pittsburgh

West: Chicago, Detroit

Conference Champs:

Washington, Chicago

Stanley Cup Champs:

Washington

And these are my picks!

Edited by Prince Duchess

I realize most of those who have commented take hockey very seriously and have used good logic in picking the winners (in most cases).

A big part of the pre-playoff discussion is the inevitable sniping that sports writers direct at the opponent's hometown. You may enjoy reading an especially good article published in this morning's Tennessean: David Climer: In Nashville vs. Anaheim, one is Mickey Mouse. It was written in response to an article in the Orange County Register.

Posted Image

East

West

My picks are

First round

West: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Detroit, Anaheim

In an unprecedented move, because the LA Kings and Anaheim Ducks beat their opening round opponents so soundly, they were separated so the two best teams in the NHL didn't meet in the conference.

In the second round, the now Eastern conference Ducks beat Boston so badly in the first three games many of the Bruin players were seen crying and they refused to take the ice for game 4.

East: Washington, Anaheim

West: Los Angeles, Detroit

In the Eastern conference finals the Washington Capitals tried to default because they knew the Ducks were too good, but the NHL made them play anyway, but after three games there weren't enough Capitals left to play

East: Anaheim

West: Los Angeles

Champ = In the finals, the Kings and Ducks split the first six games. After game 7 lasted four days with no one able to win. The NHL declared the Ducks and Kings both champs and wondered why they didn't just do that way back in early April.

• Site Administrator

East

West

My picks are

First round

West: Vancouver, Los Angeles, Detroit, Anaheim

In an unprecedented move, because the LA Kings and Anaheim Ducks beat their opening round opponents so soundly, they were separated so the two best teams in the NHL didn't meet in the conference.

In the second round, the now Eastern conference Ducks beat Boston so badly in the first three games many of the Bruin players were seen crying and they refused to take the ice for game 4.

East: Washington, Anaheim

West: Los Angeles, Detroit

In the Eastern conference finals the Washington Capitals tried to default because they knew the Ducks were too good, but the NHL made them play anyway, but after three games there weren't enough Capitals left to play

East: Anaheim

West: Los Angeles

Champ = In the finals, the Kings and Ducks split the first six games. After game 7 lasted four days with no one able to win. The NHL declared the Ducks and Kings both champs and wondered why they didn't just do that way back in early April.

Okay :P:D:):lol:

Well you at least have till Saturday to rearrange your winners :P

On a side note, I used to feel the same when Edmonton and Calgary and Detroit were the top 3 teams in the league for consecutive years and only one team made it to the Stanley Cup.

Now why didn't I think to just write in my suggestion to the NHL :P

Just an additional note to those who are entering the game. The NHL playoffs do not work like a normal bracket type system. They rank them again before the second round starts. That means that if seeds 1,7,3,5 win, it won't be a match up of 1 vs 5 and 3 vs 7; it will be a 1 vs 7 and a 3 vs 5.

So some of you guys will probably need to change your picks. Red_A, New York and Philadelphia can't both be the winners in the second round because based on your picks, they will be playing against each other. Same goes for Prince's picks of Chicago and San Jose.

Just an additional note to those who are entering the game. The NHL playoffs do not work like a normal bracket type system. They rank them again before the second round starts. That means that if seeds 1,7,3,5 win, it won't be a match up of 1 vs 5 and 3 vs 7; it will be a 1 vs 7 and a 3 vs 5.

So some of you guys will probably need to change your picks. Red_A, New York and Philadelphia can't both be the winners in the second round because based on your picks, they will be playing against each other. Same goes for Prince's picks of Chicago and San Jose.

Hmm thank You, I was aware that they were re-seeded after the first round but I falsely believed that the re-seeding was done on first round results not main season results.

My revised picks are

First round

East: New York Rangers, Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Bruins, Pittsburgh Penguins

West: VancouverCanucks, San Jose Sharks, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks

Second round

East: New YorkRangers, Pittsburgh Penguins

West: VancouverCanucks, Detroit Red Wings

Conference finals

East: New York Rangers

West: Detroit Red Wings

Champ = New York Rangers

East

West

East: Washington, Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa Bay

West: Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit, and Nashville

Semifinals: Washington, Montreal; Vancouver, San Jose

Finals: Montreal; Vancouver

All-Canada Stanley Cup Finals: Montreal!

Also I decided to participate in a tradition by refusing to shave or trim during the Playoffs (known as a playoff beard) till Montreal is out of the Playoffs or wins the Stanley Cup (last time - Patrick Roy Era in 1993)

• Site Administrator

East

West

East: Washington, Buffalo, Montreal, Tampa Bay

West: Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit, and Nashville

Semifinals: Washington, Montreal; Vancouver, San Jose

Finals: Montreal; Vancouver

All-Canada Stanley Cup Finals: Montreal!

Also I decided to participate in a tradition by refusing to shave or trim during the Playoffs (known as a playoff beard) till Montreal is out of the Playoffs or wins the Stanley Cup (last time - Patrick Roy Era in 1993)

Ohhh :) we want weekly update pictures. See if you grow a beard/beard or a fuzz beard like Sydney Crosby :P

East

Washington Capitals

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Pittsburgh Penguins

West

Chicago Blackhawks

San Jose Sharks

Detroit Red Wings

Anaheim Ducks

Second round

East: Buffalo, Montreal