Tired of todays phoney-baloney plastic pretty boys? Go Retro...

garycooper.jpg < Gary Cooper- when the strong, silent type is required

rawhidesandbag.jpg < Young Clint Eastwood :devil:

Kirk-John.jpg < John Wayne and Kirk Douglas from In Harms Way

Caution: testosterone at near toxic levels.

BurtLancaster.jpg < I can believe that Burt Lancaster is the Viking

JimmyStewart.jpg

After bombing targets in Germany, Korea and Vietnam, Jimmy Stewart is man enough to let a Siamese cat walk on him.

Got any favorites of your own?

• Like 1

HumphreyBogart.jpg < Bogie... I mean What's there to say?

SpencerTracey.jpg < Spencer Tracey... with all these guys, there has to be a lawyer

james_cagney.jpg < James Cagney... the Public Enemy himself.

marlonbrando.jpg < young Marlon Brando

Can you even imagine one of these guys doing a candy-ass show like Beverly Hills 90210?

Never frikin' happen.

Not any more 'real' than the plastic boys from Tet's thread.

I don't consider any widely celebrated face of the entertainment industry to have any sort of realism in their representation of people, nor should they.

In any case, I see and know more than enough beautiful, hot, cute (or whatever you'd like to describe what turns you on) people in 'real' life to wanna gawk at collections of empty pixels on a computer screen. I'd rather scroll through Facebook than an Abercrombie catalogue but that's just me.

Edited by Yang Bang
  • Like 3

You thought Eddie Albert was just the goofy straight man from Green Acres. Actually he was a war hero who saw action in one of the bloodiest battles ever, Tarawa, and won a bronze star for heroism.

eddie-albert-2-med.jpg

Charlton Heston was a Sgt, in the Army Air Corps.

another-charlton-heston.jpg

Lee Marvin was a Marine, wounded in action at the invasion of Saipan.

lee_marvin_sized.jpg

Glenn Ford fought through the Pacific as a Marine and after discharge joined the Naval Reserve and served for decades rising to the rank of Captain.

glenn-ford-55.jpg

Goofy Don Adams from Get Smart and the voice of Tennessee Tuxedo was a grunt Marine and was wounded and nearly died at Guadalcanal.

don-adams.jpg

James Arness, Matt Dillon from Gunsmoke, was in the U.S. Army and was severely wounded at Anzio.

james-arness.jpg

Gene Autry was a Sgt. in the Army Air Corps and flew supplies and ammunition over the very dangerous "the hump" in Burma.

gene-autry.jpg

• Like 1

Tired of todays phoney-baloney plastic pretty boys? Go Retro...

ooper- when the strong, silent type is required

< Young Clint Eastwood :devil:

< John Wayne and Kirk Douglas from In Harms Way

Caution: testosterone at near toxic levels.

BurtLancaster.jpg < I can believe that Burt Lancaster is the Viking

After bombing targets in Germany, Korea and Vietnam, Jimmy Stewart is man enough to let a Siamese cat walk on him.

Got any favorites of your own?

For today standards all of the them look artificial. Do not look any real. It was due to a case of too many cosmetics? These faces make me recall the aliens of Star Trek series, like the clingons or other.

• Like 1

I'm not sure of the movie.. BUT!! :wub: :wub:

Gregory Peck!!! JUST :wub:

ss1.jpg

Oh and How retro are we talking? because there's someone not THAT retro.. but i like him anyway :) so...

Here's Alan Rickman! :wub:

Young-Alan-Rickman-harry-potter-20773641-454-411.jpg

Edited by Frostina
  • Site Moderator

For today standards all of the them look artificial. Do not look any real. It was due to a case of too many cosmetics? These faces make me recall the aliens of Star Trek series, like the clingons or other.

Something to remember about some of these actors, especially those involved in westerns, is that a lot of them were shot before there was any sunscreen around.

The film was made at the very beginning of color- techni-color was what they called it. It was not very natural.

Early on it required strange makeup and a great deal of indoor shooting to get the light just right.

Scenes were shot over and over and edited frame by frame because that is what it took with the technology that they had in hand.

Quite a big leap in technology to 1080i and HD-TV.

Of the actors pictured above, Gregory Peck is my favorite. He had a remarkable voice. To Kill a Mockingbird is still one of my favorite films.

Jimmy Stewart was a general in the Air Force, and was Alfred Hitchcock's favorite actor to work with.

Gary Cooper was an expert horseman. His distinctive walk was the result of an injury, and every step hurt every day of his adult life.

Burt Lancaster started his career as a trapeze artist, and performed his own stunts. He negotiated his movie deals to include his former catcher in the circus.

John Wayne started his career as a stuntman, and was also an expert horseman. Also, though it was common practice to use a trip wire to make horses fall in movies, he forced every picture he worked on to use horses trained to fall, instead.

Jimmy Cagney started out as a song and dance man, like Hugh Jackman.

You left out Peter Graves of TV's Mission Impossible series and the movie Airplane. He was the brother of James Arness, above.

pgraves2-sm.jpg