Norwegian 9/11

It might not be a good place here to talk about it but I feel the need to express my deep feelings for the Norwegian people who suffered a terrorist attack as nasty as many others before, be it New York 2001, Madrid, London or Stockholm last year. I don't understand why people do things like that but I'm sure we (as in the "euro-american civilisation circle") will survive. My thoughts are in Norway, I hope its people will go through this complicated and painful time with the inner calm like I know them.

This is the right place to express prayers and hope:

May the victims families find peace and may the guilty parties be brought to trial to face their crimes.

I like what their Prime minister had said:

"I have a message to those who attacked us. A message from the whole of Norway. You won’t destroy us. You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway," Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.

"And when tomorrow comes, let’s show the world that the Norwegian democracy still stands strong. The most important thing tonight is to take care of each other."

There is no cure for terrorism as long as human malice exist, but if you don't surrender to the fear of terror, then its destructive power cannot achieve its goals.

This really is horrible. I found a news article. These are some sick bastards. :(

By Henry Chu, Los Angeles Times

Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

July 22, 2011, 7:20 p.m.

Reporting from London— A horrific shooting rampage at a youth summer camp left at least 80 people dead as Norway reeled from apparently related terrorist attacks in a nation long known as the home of the Nobel Peace Prize.

In addition to the shooting at youth camp attended by hundreds on the island of Utoya, a massive bomb exploded in downtown Oslo, killing seven and injuring dozens.

Police director Oystein Maeland told reporters early Saturday they had discovered many more victims after initially reporting the death toll at 10, the Associated Press reported.

Maeland couldn't say how many people were injured in the shooting.

The summer camp was organized by the youth wing of Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's Labor Party.

It was not immediately clear who was responsible for the attacks, but speculation swirled around both Islamic militant groups and domestic right-wing extremists.

Al Qaeda previously has singled out Norway as a target, and a shadowy group affiliated with the terrorist network reportedly claimed responsibility, a statement that could not be verified.

A suspect was arrested in the shooting, and reports described him as a tall, fair-haired man who spoke fluent Norwegian. The justice minister identified him as a Norwegian citizen.

Friday's double attacks, which police said were linked, recalled the dramatic 2008 siege on a hotel and other sites in Mumbai, India, that raised international fear of coordinated, sophisticated attacks on "soft" targets unprepared for a large-scale assault.

The rampage on Utoya, a small, heavily wooded island not far from Oslo, was a particularly harsh blow. A youth convention of the ruling Labor Party, the biggest political event of the summer, was underway there. Hundreds of young people, some of them teenagers, were in attendance.

Authorities witnesses described the assailant as a man dressed in a police uniform. The suspect, a 32-year-old Norwegian, was arrested on Utoya. Police later found undetonated explosives on the island.

The prime minister's office was heavily damaged by the bomb blast in Oslo, which killed seven people. Norwegian news reports said that Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg was working at another location and was unharmed. In a nationally televised address, he urged his compatriots not to be overcome by fear.

But the shock and scars from the violence will probably run deep in the normally placid, close-knit Scandinavian nation of about 5 million people. Authorities closed Norway's borders shortly after the attacks.

"Norway will stand together in a time of crisis," Stoltenberg said.

Addressing the attackers, he said: "You will not destroy our democracy and our ideals for a better world.... No one will bomb us into silence; no one will shoot us into silence."

At the White House, President Obama sent his condolences to Oslo and called for stronger global cooperation to combat terrorism.

"It's a reminder that the entire international community has a stake in preventing this kind of terror from occurring," said Obama, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2009. "We'll provide any support we can to them as they investigate these occurrences."

Mattias Carlsson, a Swedish journalist, said he saw as many as 15 to 20 bodies on the shore and in the frigid waters around the island.

"Some have blood on their faces. There is clothing lying around at the shore, as if someone has tried to swim away," Carlsson said in a telephone interview. "There are four people and they are lying together as if they are hugging."

Oh my god...

That is a very disturbing news article...

Especially this:

"Some have blood on their faces. There is clothing lying around at the shore, as if someone has tried to swim away," Carlsson said in a telephone interview. "There are four people and they are lying together as if they are hugging."

Killing people as they are fleeing or defenseless? You really don't get any more cowardly than that! It's a physical impossibility. The fact that they were youth only makes it worse. They had their whole life in front of them...

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and friends/relatives of the victims, as well as the people of Norway in general.

Edited by thephoenix

I cry for the teens killed in a senseless and cruel massacre.

The TV news tonight said the police caught the guy who shot and killed about 80 teens on the island. He was dressed in a uniform similar to what Norwegian police use. One report said he was seen in the area of the downtown Oslo bombing earlier in the day. He was reported to be a Norwegian citizen who is a member of a radical right skinhead group.

Colin :,(

I've read in a few places that the maximum jail sentence he may face is 21 years.

No where near enough, in my opinion.

He takes nearly one hundred young lives and looks to be getting twenty years for it? That's what, less than three months for each life he took?

Life should at least mean life behind bars. Even British laws aren't that soft.

He takes nearly one hundred young lives and looks to be getting twenty years for it? That's what, less than three months for each life he took?

Life should at least mean life behind bars. Even British laws aren't that soft.

Well according to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_Norway it is theoretically possible to get a life inprisonment in Norway. So let's wait and see for the trial.