Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation 89: A Deal with the Devil

And before I forget... I wanted to ask; would releasing the title early, as I usually do,l have been a big spoiler in this case, or was I worried for nothing?

I personally think you were worried for nothing, but then I'm not the expert on connecting all the dots in just the right way like some of the fans are. :boy:

A Deal with the Devil is up.

And Wildone: see? It wasn't called "Death on the Kookaburra" after all. :P

Actually I think there was a mix up: THIS chapter is the one that should have been called "From Bad to Worse". Holy Basingstoke, Batman! The hit man is heading to THE Carnarvon, and Bridget and George have just confirmed it -- although in this case the two "bads" don't make it worse, but boy does the overall situation seem worse.

On a much belated note (I usually don't get to read the chapters when/where I can readily reply): thank goodness Trevor and Shane got together at last. At least they had time for some heaven on earth before Basingstoke arrives.

As much as I love this story, it is bogging down now. There are so many characters I cannot keep

up with them. We know who did what now. Please fast forward this.

While the 20+ chapters devoted to the Trevor/Shane pairing did slow down the narrative, they were needed because CJ needed a loved character that he could kill. Posted Image

While the 20+ chapters devoted to the Trevor/Shane pairing did slow down the narrative, they were needed because CJ needed a loved character that he could kill. Posted Image

CJ's not stupid. I suspect he values life and the absence of crushed body parts. He knows that if he kills or maims one of the two lovebirds then reader retribution will strike with such savage ferocity as to make Hurricane Irene look like a damp squib :angry: Edited by Zombie

While the Aussie Coast Guard types really are trying to help, the dirty cop in Florida found out about the re-issued driver's license and the wicked witch quickly passed the info onto Sanchez. B'stoke will be in C and probably soon after receive confirmation that he guessed rightly. Our intrepid hero and his sidekick need to stay out of sight. The reporter and his counterpart with the garlic crusher are hell-bent on their story. Still no info on what Trevor's dad and his partner are doing; what their PI is doing; what the good Florida cop is doing; what Lisa and her fiancee are doing; and all the disparate elements do seem to becoming a little too much to keep track of. Slowly, slowly the plot thickens--concrete like!

I debated about commenting on this latest chapter.

I share MIketx8’s thoughts, “As much as I love this story, it is bogging down now. There are so manycharacters I cannot keep up with them. We know who did what now.”

And echoed by Daddydavek,"……..and all the disparate elements do seem to becoming a little too much to keeptrack of. Slowly, slowly the plot thickens--concrete like!”

I want some positiveresolutions. I really want the story toget to December 17 and reveal why Trevor’s father is holed up. I apologize if my comments come off toonegative.

I'm not really sure 20 chapters was totally necessary, but serial publication means that you can't have an editor go back and point out that you dragged through the mire in places. Plus we had about 20 chapters of Joel/Trevor in the Mediterranean, so I think a likely explanation is that C James probably enjoys writing the boat scenes with the boys. ;)

Plus there's a lot of storylines spread across a lot of geophysical locations, so it's a lot of writing just to move people from place to place.

By the time the story is done, I think the word count will be something like three times Moby Dick!

B),,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nope, I would have gotten that title of the chapter in a hearts beat. That said, I'm sure things have now turned around enough that Fowler had to make this deal with the devil. The biggest hint is this chapter;

"Fowler shook his head. “Thanks, but I’d prefer to take him out alone. I’d like to keep you out of this, as much as possible. Craig… I know you’ve guessed, or at least suspect, that there’s a lot I haven’t told you. It’s… complicated. There are some things I recently learnt that… I can’t say more at the moment, but I will soon.”

Hmmmm! Still doesn't tell us if it is Fowler's or Blake's wife that is in reality Rachel, long lost mother of Trevor. Fowler is hinting here that he is being less then honest to Craig. But still is he misleading because of his wife or his best freinds wife?

Confusion on where Disaster Cove is, if it is where the last map shows (South of where Trevor entered into Sharks Bay) then it is miles from the southern point to be reached, and how is Ned going to get there? Hey Goat I told you y'all needed new maps!!

Great chapter CJ!

B),,,,,,,,,,,,,, Nope, I would have gotten that title of the chapter in a hearts beat. That said, I'm sure things have now turned around enough that Fowler had to make this deal with the devil. The biggest hint is this chapter;

"Fowler shook his head. “Thanks, but I’d prefer to take him out alone. I’d like to keep you out of this, as much as possible. Craig… I know you’ve guessed, or at least suspect, that there’s a lot I haven’t told you. It’s… complicated. There are some things I recently learnt that… I can’t say more at the moment, but I will soon.”

Hmmmm! Still doesn't tell us if it is Fowler's or Blake's wife that is in reality Rachel, long lost mother of Trevor. Fowler is hinting here that he is being less then honest to Craig. But still is he misleading because of his wife or his best freinds wife?

Confusion on where Disaster Cove is, if it is where the last map shows (South of where Trevor entered into Sharks Bay) then it is miles from the southern point to be reached, and how is Ned going to get there? Hey Goat I told you y'all needed new maps!!

Great chapter CJ!

Interesting speculation about Trevor's mom. Somehow, I think if she was in the area and knew of Trevor, the story would be different, she would have made an appearance and filled in some blanks, especially about December 17 and some application of the statute of limitations??? At any rate I figure by Halloween 2011, we may actually have gotten to December 17th story-wise.

Interesting speculation about Trevor's mom. Somehow, I think if she was in the area and knew of Trevor, the story would be different, she would have made an appearance and filled in some blanks, especially about December 17 and some application of the statute of limitations??? At any rate I figure by Halloween 2011, we may actually have gotten to December 17th story-wise.

Ah now that is the mother's dilemma? If Trevor's mother was to reveal herself to Trevor then Trevor would be a party to any illegal act that Rachel committed. Trevor would under Australian law would be committing conspiracy after the act, under USA criminal law probably party to any offence, under USA civil law his property would be liable (his darling boat), it would break the elapse time requirement, and make both his parents liable for any illegal acts. So if Rachel is Mrs Fowler, Mrs Blake, Mrs Kelly, or Aunty Cobbley, it is very bad situation.

For me, it is 8th December 2006, eight days to go, and I do not know, whether Trevor mother is alive or is one of the Mrs Fowler, Mrs Blake, Mrs Kelly, or Aunty Cobbley. I am also not sure whether Trevor or Shane will still have their heads or whether the important elapse time is broken by detective Gonzales/Bridget.

:-(

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Ah now that is the mother's dilemma? If Trevor's mother was to reveal herself to Trevor then Trevor would be a party to any illegal act that Rachel committed. Trevor would under Australian law would be committing conspiracy after the act, under USA criminal law probably party to any offence, under USA civil law his property would be liable (his darling boat), it would break the elapse time requirement, and make both his parents liable for any illegal acts. So if Rachel is Mrs Fowler, Mrs Blake, Mrs Kelly, or Aunty Cobbley, it is very bad situation.

For me, it is 8th December 2006, eight days to go, and I do not know, whether Trevor mother is alive or is one of the Mrs Fowler, Mrs Blake, Mrs Kelly, or Aunty Cobbley. I am also not sure whether Trevor or Shane will still have their heads or whether the important elapse time is broken by detective Gonzales/Bridget.

:-(

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

B)................ I'm 99.9% sure that Trevor's mom is alive and well in Australia and I'm equally sure that she is either with the Fowler's or the Blake's, I'm not sure if she is really married though as that might complicate things given she is presumed dead and bigamy is illegal there and in the U.S. I'm leaning towards it being (Mr.s) Blake as Fowler said he 'just learned recently' of complicated issues. What we know;

The Aries did not go down in the area that Trevor was searching, as Dirk almost blurted out everything when he chastised Trevor by saying 'You can't risk searching there, because she is not.... (there?)" Dirk is not afraid of facing the murder charges of his wife, because he knows he did not murder her, he must be aware of her still being alive, as he wanted to send Trevor to see his mom's family. As I suggested way earlier, all that needed to get the hint that she was still living would be a blank postcard sent from Austrailia every so often nothing incriminating about that. The 2nd reason I believe she is still alive is the subtle hints the goat leaves us with the key lime pies, I'm sure that Fowler's wife is creating them for Trevor, at his mom's request. Given Shane's shady past and against advice from several people including Mr. Blake, she let's Shane stay on the Kookaburra, Why? Could her motherly instinct have taken over and Shane reminded her of her own son Trevor?

As far as the 'mother's dilemma' I concur with you 100%.

My thoughts!! 0:)

Edited by Benji

B)................ I'm 99.9% sure that Trevor's mom is alive and well in Australia and I'm equally sure that she is either with the Fowler's or the Blake's, I'm not sure if she is really married though as that might complicate things given she is presumed dead and bigamy is illegal there and in the U.S. I'm leaning towards it being (Mr.s) Blake as Fowler said he 'just learned recently' of complicated issues. What we know;

The Aries did not go down in the area that Trevor was searching, as Dirk almost blurted out everything when he chastised Trevor by saying 'You can't risk searching there, because she is not.... (there?)" Dirk is not afraid of facing the murder charges of his wife, because he knows he did not murder her, he must be aware of her still being alive, as he wanted to send Trevor to see his mom's family. As I suggested way earlier, all that needed to get the hint that she was still living would be a blank postcard sent from Austrailia every so often nothing incriminating about that. The 2nd reason I believe she is still alive is the subtle hints the goat leaves us with the key lime pies, I'm sure that Fowler's wife is creating them for Trevor, at his mom's request. Given Shane's shady past and against advice from several people including Mr. Blake, she let's Shane stay on the Kookaburra, Why? Could her motherly instinct have taken over and Shane reminded her of her own son Trevor?

As far as the 'mother's dilemma' I concur with you 100%.

My thoughts!! 0:)

Hi Benji,

We worked together two months ago and formulated a prediction as to the events leading up to June 1997. We are not in agreement on everything, but do see eye to eye on many of the events we predicted.

For the past couple of chapters, “The Goat,” has been dangling half statements, innuendo and inferences regarding Mrs. Fowler. However, CHJ consistently stops short of making a clear-cut commitment. Should anyone declare that Shelley Fowler is Rachel, he could very easily state, “I never wrote that.” IMHO he would be absolutely correct.

One portion of your post that I do not agree with is this:

................ I'm 99.9% sure that Trevor's mom is alive and well in Australia and I'm equally sure that she is either with the Fowler's or the Blake's, I'm not sure if she is really married though as that might complicate things given she is presumed dead and bigamy is illegal there and in the U.S. I'm leaning towards it being (Mr.s) Blake as Fowler said he 'just learned recently' of complicated issues. What we know

Rachel is not presumed to be dead. She was legally declared dead by a court of competent jurisdiction. The fact that false information was submitted by Dirk might cause that decision to be vacated, at some time in the future. My purely gut reaction is: Even if Rachel married someone in Australia, there could not be charge of Bigamy filed against her at the present time. I might be wrong, but I don’t think so.

That is it for now.

Marty

We are not in agreement on everything, but do see eye to eye on many of the events we predicted.

True

For the past couple of chapters, “The Goat,” has been dangling half statements, innuendo and inferences regarding Mrs. Fowler. However, CHJ consistently stops short of making a clear-cut commitment. Should anyone declare that Shelley Fowler is Rachel, he could very easily state, “I never wrote that.” IMHO he would be absolutely correct.

Also true, but he has also dangled many hints at us;

1) Fowler's reaction to 'quick-draw' on Kline the moment the reporter mentioned the name Smith.

2) Fowler's statement to his fellow officer of learning 'additional information' in the last few weeks, how long has Trevor been in Australia?

3) The reemergence of a certain lime key pie, which holds significance to Trevor.

One portion of your post that I do not agree with is this:

Rachel is not presumed to be dead. She was legally declared dead by a court of competent jurisdiction. The fact that false information was submitted by Dirk might cause that decision to be vacated, at some time in the future. My purely gut reaction is: Even if Rachel married someone in Australia, there could not be charge of Bigamy filed against her at the present time. I might be wrong, but I don’t think so.

You are right here, I should have said presumably dead, but in fact she has been declared legally dead. But she and Dirk both know that is not true, I'm not sure if the statutes of that are, but bigamy is a crime in both the Us and Australia so it is an issue still. That leads me to believe that she is not married YET!

That is it for now.

Marty

My thoughts

My thoughts

2) Fowler's statement to his fellow officer of learning 'additional information' in the last few weeks, how long has Trevor been in Australia?

Benji, I misssd that. Trev arrived in Carnarvon on November 19th. That was 18 days ago, short of 3 days to make three weeeks.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Once the statue of limitations runs out, Rachel and Dirk can't be charged with anything for fraud/conspiracy. Thus, I don't think anyone could legally overturn the Death in Absentia ruling that nullified their marriage. As long as Rachel didn't remarry until after that ruling, Australia has no basis to recognize her US marriage.

We're also assuming she has legally remarried in Australia, which may not be true.

Edited by storymonger

Once the statue of limitations runs out, Rachel and Dirk can't be charged with anything for fraud/conspiracy. Thus, I don't think anyone could legally overturn the Death in Absentia ruling that nullified their marriage. As long as Rachel didn't remarry until after that ruling, Australia has no basis to recognize her US marriage.

We're also assuming she has legally remarried in Australia, which may not be true.

Hi Storymonger,

I would like to bring one fact to your attention. Although various jurisdictions have similar elements to define the requirements for a Statute of Limitations to proceed without interruption, I believe one feature is universal.

The perpetrator must remain available. He/she may not flee the jurisdiction. Now Dirk has maintained, until recently, his residence at the location he resided in, at the time the offense was committed. He was the principal suspect in the suspicious disappearance of his wife Rachel. I am quite sure he is able to produce credible evidence, to prove she was alive, subsequent to her disappearance. Dirk’s problem is, he would have to confess to other offenses, the law enforcement authorities are unaware of.

Now Rachel is in a different position. She was the subject of an active investigation. I believe she also was involved in the offenses Dirk is awaiting the expiration of Statute of Limitations on. The active investigation she was the person of interest in, was halted when her apparent death closed the case. In staging her death, Rachel did in fact, flee the jurisdiction and concealed herself.

I do not believe Dirk will have to produce Rachel to clear himself. All that should be necessary is, for Dirk to produce evidence Rachel was alive on a date subsequent to May 1997.

Once the law enforcement authorities become aware she did not die in May 1997, they can continue their investigation, and proceed to indict her, if their evidence is sufficient to do so. Dirk started the clock on the Statute of Limitations, for the crimes he had committed years ago. Rachel did not.

Marty

I've replied to this in Brain Storming , which seems to be the thread for themes with "long legs" :read:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..