Are graphic novels and manga considered written works?

W_L

Just had a thought while reading some of the stories on GA and wandering around searching for reading material on my long 10 hour plane ride. Posted Image

Why doesn't GA have a section dedicated to graphic writers? I know I can't draw even if you put a gun to my head, but I've noticed in the past some of our guys and ladies were very talented.

Graphic writing to me seems like a form of writing that is lightly covered and not something we talk much about. However, works like Watchmen and Knightfalls from the 1980's-90's have proven that the concept of a illustrative novel is sound and should work well if a writer and illustrator can work side by side together or they are the same person. That type of writing has caveats and limitation as emotional aspects cannot be looked at beyond the subtext and actions of characters as standard writing allows an extra level of mental detail in my view.

Maybe I am over thinking again, but it seems like we could have fun and I would love to meet a good illustrator, who can turn some of my ideas into 3x3 panels Posted Image

As for Manga, there's a large variation between deep story telling and slapstick art. You can make a case for both, but I tend to also think of it as a written work.

Anybody else, ideas, thoughts, and just a little debate that won't turn this into a soapbox topic :P

Graphic novels are nothing more then adult picture books for people who don't want to think or imagine with their own minds the story. So they need big pictures to do it for them.

*Prepares for the onslaught of graphic novels fans*

Graphic novels are nothing more then adult picture books for people who don't want to think or imagine with their own minds the story. So they need big pictures to do it for them.

Huh, that's funny, because I've been reading full sized adult novels since I was 10 years old and I've never had trouble with my imagination or thinking in general, but I love graphic novels and manga. I never knew how dumb and lazy I really was. And I must be, because if I'm not than your whole post is probably the most ignorant thing I've ever read online, YouTube comments included, and that just can't possibly be true, right?

Posted Image

Anyway, to answer the intelligent posts, yeah I think they're written works. I think in a lot of ways it takes more work to write a graphic novel than it does to write a regular one. You have to not only write dialogue and action but you need to make sure the entire story fits in panels and that none of those panels are wasted. It's a lot to keep in mind and I respect the hell out of anyone who could do it.

I think it depends whether the pictures are there to explain the words, the words are there to explain the pictures or they are both there to compliment each other and present art and literature in the same space

I think it depends whether the pictures are there to explain the words, the words are there to explain the pictures or they are both there to compliment each other and present art and literature in the same space

All the ones I've flipped through it seems that the words are there just to give a snapshot of the picture. The picture does everything as far as storytelling goes. Then again I haven't seen many graphic novels so maybe I'm way off on this.

Graphic novels are a combination of both words and pictures, when done right they can be brought together in an amazing work of art and literature. I really like graphic novels and have really gotten into the 'Walking Dead' books over the last year.

My brother is an awsome artist and we've kicked around the idea of doing a graphic novel together. That might be an idea we might have to revisit Posted Image

Edited by KC Grim

Naw, not really true. There's a lot to imagine with a graphic novel. Ever hear "A picture is worth a thousand words"? Someone could write three pages describing some worn out, webbed corner room, and some people could draw it out. Either way, it gets appreciated. Not to mention, there's a lot of context with any story, whether visual or written. I mean, my imagination goes wild either way. In Harry Potter, I always wonder more about Voldemort and more into his education of Hogwarts. Did anything more happen that was never written on paper? Same goes with the graphic novel Strain, what happened to this guy to make him so conflicted when all it says is his childhood was troubled?

A lot of the information we receive daily is visual, excluding blind people, so it's more than just a "picture book". There's a legitimate story in graphic novels, there's a story behind almost anything when you think about it.

Take this for example:

Posted Image

This is a picture taken on September 11 this year. It's Robert Peraza, who lost his son during 9/11 and took a moment to pause at his name on the memorial. It's a beautiful picture and it captures a lot of emotion, even if you didn't know anything about why this man was kneeling at a plaque. A good graphic novel, you probably don't need to read to get a good grasp of the story in it, but then again, that's what art sorta does. Posted Image

Anyways, to each his own. Some people understand better when they read, and some people, like me, understand better visually.

Edited by Arpeggio

All the ones I've flipped through it seems that the words are there just to give a snapshot of the picture. The picture does everything as far as storytelling goes. Then again I haven't seen many graphic novels so maybe I'm way off on this.

I thought you said you liked the "300", which was originally a graphic novel before it became a movie (or maybe it was PrivateTim).

Frank Miller's work is not even close to being PC as it is one of the best examples of new American literature and art.

A good story doesn't need to be based on words if the force of the actions and motivations can be worked well into the story's plot. A graphic novel's quality to me depends on this issue.

Manga is much more classical in my view, some like fruit baskets are not the same as an American comic books as they explore a lot of human characteristics within the subtext of the storyline. Subtlety to me differentiate the Manga and the American comic book, but I will admit that certain Manga series of recent time like Naruto hold less subtlety and emulate American comic books more (It's not a bad thing as I also am a fan of the series and am a Naru-Sas fan :P ).

Also, there's a caveat to the rule of Manga stories not going into the mental state of characters, Neon Genesis Evangelion is best remembered for the anime, but the manga also has the same concepts of psychological application of characters within plots (not to mention a very interesting archetype for a gay character that has not been repeated as of yet). It's a interesting idea that is perhaps one part madness and one part genius for the Manga creator, Sadamoto.

There's a lot of territory that GA writers can work with and create for themselves. Heck, maybe some will start up whole new genres and break new ground in our little corner of storytelling.

I thought you said you liked the "300", which was originally a graphic novel before it became a movie (or maybe it was PrivateTim).

I liked the movie 300. I never read the graphic novel. To me personally, when I read I don't wanna be distracted by pictures. I want to imagine the story with my own created pictures in my head. Having huge illustrations to go along with every page puts a big damper on that.

• 3 weeks later...

C'mon W_L drop the PC crap, just call 'em COMIC books Posted Image

The distinction should be made between comic books and graphic novels. Novels end, comic books don't, they keep going and going and then get remade or slapped into a new universe. Unless they go out of favor and die off.

Consider Watchmen or the bomb V for Vendetta both were graphic novels to start. Further not all of us think in word, some think in pictures and images so why force every one to conform to one form of communication when the suck at it. (I am such but here I am about to write something that hopefully won't want to make you beat your head against your computer :S ) Besides good actors and special effects are expensive while drawing is pretty cheap.