Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Circumnavigation on hold for about a week! Sorry!

Circumnavigation is on hiatus for a week, again. I'm truly sorry, I had earnestly wanted to avoid doing this for the remainder of the novel.

In a nutshell, I have had some issues offline, such as work emergencies, a major storm, tax season (ARRRGGGHHH!!! PAPERWORK!!!) and I've also been spending time building a computer to replace the one that died last summer. (I'm typing this on the new one now).

For all these reasons, plus a winter cold a couple of weeks ago, I've fallen behind, and was barely keeping up with posting. This week, I just didn't have time or the mindset to write much, and the chapter turned out awful, so no one has seen it yet. I'm re-writing it.

Anyway, for all these reasons, I have nothing to post Tuesday. It's likely to be next Tuesday before I do.

For what it's worth, one of the problems was writer's block, because there was an undecided plot issue I had to deal with. Until I figured it out, I could not proceed. The breakthrough came last night, so that's past and writing is flowing again.

<hug> We understand... Besides which, I know it takes time to think up all of those cliffhangers

Posted Image But but but... I never use cliffhangers! Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey now! Y'all are picking on poor, innocent me again. :P

Okay, some good news! The writing hiatus is over! I figured out the issues, rewrote the chapter, and I think it's okay now. :)

And heh, I figured out another issue that has been driving up the bleeping wall; fuzzy small text on my newly-built computer. This was happening with several monitors. I thought it might be my vid card, but then I noticed clear text while running Windows 2k in a virtual machine on the new system. (using a virtual machine lets me run some older software that Win7 64 bit can't). That told me the issue was in windows7. After some searching and some experimenting, I found the problem; Windows 7 installs with a "feature" called "Smooth edges of screen fonts" turned on. This makes small text blurry.

If anyone wants to try this on a Windows7 machine, You get to the setting fastest by typing "appearance" in the search box. then select "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows". Uncheck the smooth edges of screen fonts box, apply, and then close the window (it won't take effect until you click okay and close the window). This gave me a massive improvement in screen clarity.

CJ :)

And heh, I figured out another issue that has been driving up the bleeping wall; fuzzy small text on my newly-built computer. This was happening with several monitors. I thought it might be my vid card, but then I noticed clear text while running Windows 2k in a virtual machine on the new system. (using a virtual machine lets me run some older software that Win7 64 bit can't). That told me the issue was in windows7. After some searching and some experimenting, I found the problem; Windows 7 installs with a "feature" called "Smooth edges of screen fonts" turned on. This makes small text blurry.

If anyone wants to try this on a Windows7 machine, You get to the setting fastest by typing "appearance" in the search box. then select "Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows". Uncheck the smooth edges of screen fonts box, apply, and then close the window (it won't take effect until you click okay and close the window). This gave me a massive improvement in screen clarity.

CJ Posted Image

They have the same "feature" in XP. I just tried it and you're right, it makes the fonts really hard to read.

Gotta love the way Microsoft try to help...

Hmmm....I made the change you suggest on my Windows 7 machine and it significantly degraded the appearance of all fonts. Did you by any chance get a pirated copy of the OS? Posted Image

• Site Administrator

**Sigh**

Here we are on the eve of another chapter posting and since we didn't have the cliffhanger de la semaine (cliffhanger of the week) CJ has decided to keep us even hanging more :o No chapter title for this week :(

Unless it is 'It originally stunk' :P

**Sigh**

Here we are on the eve of another chapter posting and since we didn't have the cliffhanger de la semaine (cliffhanger of the week) CJ has decided to keep us even hanging more Posted Image No chapter title for this week Posted Image

Unless it is 'It originally stunk' Posted Image

Posted Image ............I love it!!

Hmmm....I made the change you suggest on my Windows 7 machine and it significantly degraded the appearance of all fonts. Did you by any chance get a pirated copy of the OS? Posted Image

I agree with MikeL. There isn't just one ClearType setting in Windows 7. There's a series of four screens with boxes of text where you select the one that is the clearest and move on to the next screen. My guess is that the default setting didn't work for you, CJ. Go back (click on Start, Control Panel, Appearance and Personalization, then under Fonts click on Adjust ClearType text.

Colin B)

Oops! I did forget to post the chapter title!! The chapter will be up in about five minutes though. :)

I had a hectic week; internet connection issues, cleaning up the damage from the big snowstorm (lots of trees and tree branches down) and a bunch of other stuff.

On the cleartype; on my monitor, the tuning for cleartype all looks the same; fuzzy. It's most likely the monitor; it's CRT, a big one, and may be having issues. I'm going to be trying a HP 27" this week, so hopefully that will help.

CJ :)

CRT? Posted Image

Just kidding, CJ. I had one of those monsters until switching to a flatscreen a couple of years ago (an LG 23.5" HD monitor which looks just like the TV in our guest room). There's a world of difference. Go ahead; treat yourself.

• Site Moderator

The last couple of times the County changed out our computers at work, the left us with the CRT moniters which are probably at least six years old now.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..