Congrats 2012 graduates

Y_B

I'm not sure how many this applies to, but I'd like to say congrats to all who have graduated or are graduating this May, whether it be from high school, college or beyond. Hope it's been a blast and hope you're all moving on to better and more exciting things.

A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success.

Robert Orben

• Like 1

Congrats.

You are the most screwed generation ever.

The Chinese are going to eat your lunch, the Ayatollahs are going to nuke you and Kim Jung Un is going to annoy the shit out of you while Europe looks on condescendingly until they get screwed by the Russians and scream for help.

Oh yeah- you are all born owing $75,000.

Enjoy.

Congrats.

You are the most screwed generation ever.

The Chinese are going to eat your lunch, the Ayatollahs are going to nuke you and Kim Jung Un is going to annoy the shit out of you while Europe looks on condescendingly until they get screwed by the Russians and scream for help.

Oh yeah- you are all born owing $75,000.

Enjoy.

Thanks?

I hate to crap on the parade, but I recently read something disturbing in a local paper. The article stated that half of these graduates won't be able to find a job in their chosen field.

There's no shame in working at Subway. But if someone has a degree in quantum mechanics, then that would be a huge step down.

Yeah, it does seem like these days people are more concerned with finding a job after graduating than finding the job, but it's definitely not impossible. A lot of people my age are still discovering what they're really interested in (regardless of major) and/or good at, and that's perfectly fine, but it makes it a little harder to land something solid and more permanent. You can't land a dream job without a dream, that kinda thing. This applies to me somewhat. I'm working and learning and plan to go to grad school in a year or two after I have a better direction. Also, keep in mind that the odds favor certain people, degrees, schools, etc much more than others. Not every graduate is the same.

Anyways, regardless of all that...graduation is still cool. Moving forward, growing up and all that cheesy stuff. I'm pretty interested in high school grads these days and hearing about what schools they picked. I have friends with younger siblings and I'm pretty excited for them.

I hate to crap on the parade, but I recently read something disturbing in a local paper. The article stated that half of these graduates won't be able to find a job in their chosen field.

There's no shame in working at Subway. But if someone has a degree in quantum mechanics, then that would be a huge step down.

I do feel sorry for graduates today. I have multiple degrees spanning multiple fields (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, and Culinary Arts) and the only one I seem to be able to use is the culinary one. It's driving me insane.

Yeah, it does seem like these days people are more concerned with finding a job after graduating than finding the job, but it's definitely not impossible. A lot of people my age are still discovering what they're really interested in (regardless of major) and/or good at, and that's perfectly fine, but it makes it a little harder to land something solid and more permanent. You can't land a dream job without a dream, that kinda thing. This applies to me somewhat. I'm working and learning and plan to go to grad school in a year or two after I have a better direction. Also, keep in mind that the odds favor certain people, degrees, schools, etc much more than others. Not every graduate is the same.

Anyways, regard of all that...graduation is still cool. Moving forward, growing up and all that cheesy stuff. I'm pretty interested in high school grads these days and hearing about what schools they picked. I have friends with younger siblings and I'm pretty excited for them.

You're such an old softie Yang :P

Congrats to all the graduates and hope the job market is favorable in your field.

I wish I could find a better job with less stress, too, but it is better to work with gripes about your work, than the alternative I guess. Living with parents though is definitely not my favorite thing in the world, which I know a lot of grads are doing, since rent is still so high and few even with good jobs can get a mortgage.

Thank God I only graduated High School then. It was pretty exciting but kinda sad too actually. I couldn't wait to graduate but now I actually kinda miss it. Posted Image

Edited by Anya

Living with parents though is definitely not my favorite thing in the world.

I love my parents to death...but, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And you can't bring guys home. <_<

Not that I have anyone to bring home, but that's not the point!

I guess I got lucky. I got a job in the university biology lab I worked in as an undergraduate student. It isn't the best paying job in the world, but I have full benefits.

Congratz to the other 2012 grads.

There's a lot of shame in working at Subway.

But thanks! I'm graduating this weekend, and right now it's just a lot of thinking about "this is the last time I'll ever shower in college" or "this is the last time I'll ever get my mail here"

Grats graduates! =)

btw if you ever find yourself having a heart attack in a cab in Malmö, Sweden, just stay calm! A couple of years ago more than 50% of the cab drivers where highly educated (tooooons of doctors:P) only sweden/EU didnt recognize the degrees they got in Iran etc despite the generally high quality of their education.

There's a lot of shame in working at Subway.

But thanks! I'm graduating this weekend, and right now it's just a lot of thinking about "this is the last time I'll ever shower in college" or "this is the last time I'll ever get my mail here"

Uh... Merlin... This is the last time I'll ever shower in college or pick up mail? I would hope that when you are older showering in college and picking up your mail won't be the highlights. :)

Uh... Merlin... This is the last time I'll ever shower in college or pick up mail? I would hope that when you are older showering in college and picking up your mail won't be the highlights. Posted Image

Well you know, it's the little things. I get sentimental :(

And right now it's off to the last time I'll ever do laundry here :(

Uh... Merlin... This is the last time I'll ever shower in college or pick up mail? I would hope that when you are older showering in college and picking up your mail won't be the highlights. Posted Image

The mailman musta been really hot

Plus I hear that at his school the showers run Pellegrino.

And rumor has it, their laundries don't just clean clothes, they make em new again.

Edited by Y_B

The mailman musta been really hot

Plus I hear that at his school the showers run Pellegrino.

No we use that to flush our toilets. The showers run Blingh2o.

Posted Image

I love my parents to death...but, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

And you can't bring guys home. Posted Image

Not that I have anyone to bring home, but that's not the point!

Oh please, when I was younger I sneaked in the bedroom window of many a nice Chinese boy!

Congrats to the high school classes of 2012. life will never be the same again. It is the great jumping off point into adulthood.

Oh please, when I was younger I sneaked in the bedroom window of many a nice Chinese boy!

Congrats to the high school classes of 2012. life will never be the same again. It is the great jumping off point into adulthood.

That explains the mysterious break ins at the Chinese frat :D

i miss doing laundry with a swipe card, which was also my key and meal pass.

Actually, my school's food service company also serves the same thing to prisons, but i had to pay 10k for it freshman year.