Favorite Golden Oldies

methodwriter85

I love listening to old music...ever since I was a little boy listening to Golden Oldies stations. So I thought it'd be fun to share some of my favorite songs that are oldies, but still a goodie.

Here are three of my favorite oldies, from the same time period and genre.

I love dancing to the oldies, don't you? And these particular three bring back so many memories for me. Music was so damned danceable back in the early/mid-90's.

You guys got any favorite golden oldies you'd like to share?

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Billy Joel's ballad, Piano Man

Minnie Riperton, Lovin' You (this one is a good cover)

That's Why They Call It the Blues (Elton John)

My friend gave me this Prince cover, Nothing Compares 2 U. The cover artists aren't pretty boys, but good cover. Listen to the lyrics. It's gay. (My friend is straight..., isn't that weird?)

Sorry got to split into two posts.

For those who like the trance (or acid hardcore, or whatever they call this type of club song). Another one from the same friend. Born Slippy (Underground). The store I used to work at the people could this type of thing impromptu after work! We really had a cool crowd, until the new manager ruined our culture. Chose this version obviously because I am a Jonny Lee Miller fan. :D

http://youtu.be/z_RQDsY8M-E

Nina Simone Ain't Go No I've Got A Life (can easily be a gay anthem):

Don't know if this can be considered an oldie.... The Middle (Jimmy Eat World)

• Like 1

When you said oldies I think of the music my parents listened to, the 60's and 70's stuff. I know all but 2 of the songs listed. The 80's, 90's and Now are my current play list.

One of my favorite's You Keep me Hanging on:

Edited by Edward

For the purposes of this thread, I'm defining an oldie as something that's at least 15 years old, which would put the end year at 1997. Another one from La Bouche...

"Sweet Dreams" by La Bouche

Edited by methodwriter85

It was this song that got me into liking classic rock:

I heard the real Chuck Berry song later and it got me hooked into classic rock.

I saw the movie in the 1995 on my local cable station, it is one of my favorite movies of all time.

As for non-rock and roll oldies:

http://youtu.be/1gewTWM6fH0

Yes, I am a fan of the Bee Gees' soft Ballads

What great songs listed so far. Many I had forgotten about and discovered that I need to add them to my play list. When I first found this topic I expected to find songs form the 50's and early 60's because that was considered the Golden Oldies in my teens and 20's so the definition of anything before 1997 really makes me feel old Posted Image. Don't know how to narrow the field because there's too many. So here's some from my top 500 Posted Image... well maybe my top 150.

At Last - Etta James 1961

Wipeout - The Surfaris 1963

Pipeline - Chantays 1963

Chain Of Fools - Aretha Franklin 1968

(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding 1968

Classical Gas - Mason Williams 1968

It Don't Come Easy - Ringo Starr 1971

Liar - Three Dog Night 1971

Lunatic Fring - Red Rider 1981

Silent Lucidity - Queensryche 1990

December - Collective Soul 1995

Gangsta's Paradise - Coolio / L.V.1995

Wanderwall - Oaisis 1995

Edited by rockyroads

What great songs listed so far. Many I had forgotten about and discovered that I need to add them to my play list. When I first found this topic I expected to find songs form the 50's and early 60's because that was considered the Golden Oldies in my teens and 20's so the definition of anything before 1997 really makes me feel old Posted Image. Don't know how to narrow the field because there's too many. So here's some from my top 500 Posted Image... well maybe my top 150.

LOL! I know, I limited my list also.... There are so many to choose.... I could list some songs from 50's also.... Lots of Chet Baker jazz standards are there among my favorites. My Funny Valentine, I Fall in Love Too Easily, among them. And then there is Moon River sung by Audrey. :) My favorite Beetles is John Lennon though.... :P

Nice surfer music! :)

I was actually listening to Vangelis the other day, Romance Theme from Blade Runner.... Then it reminds me of Edge of Seventeen (I watched that movie too many times), which i thought Erik was probably trying to do some Vangelis type of music in one of the sequence... (it was the 80's after all).

Sukiyaki by Kyu Sakamoto 1963

Ue o muite arkou (I look up when I walk) _____________

My first love. It was our song.

It started with

SUKI YAKI by Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen

And finished a couple of months later with

Sukiyaki - Kyu Sakamoto

Good Times AND Bad Times.

Ue o muite arkou

_____________ _ _ _ _ _

For me the golden oldies is the 50s and 60s. Anything past 1990 sounds like obscene noise to me. I know, I was born thirty years too late :lol:

Apart from anything by Abba, my favourites would have to be:

Lily the Pink (The Scaffold 1968)

Hi Ho Silver Lining (Jeff Beck 1967)

Wig Wam Bam (The Sweet 1965)

Waterloo Sunset (The Kinks 1967)

Pretty Flamingo (Manfred Mann 1966)

Message to Martha (Adam Faith 1965)

Gilly Gilly Ossenfeffer Katzenellen Bogen By The Sea (Max Bygraves 1954)

Kites (Simon Dupree 1967)

Goin' Back by Carole King, sung by Dusty Springfield.

Dusty was a major singer in 60s Britain and apparently a gay icon.

I've never heard anyone sing this song better

Dancin' in the Street by Martha and the Vandelas [1964]

Much covered since but this is the original and best Posted Image

I defy you not to want to get up and, well ..... DANCE!

Edited by Zombie

My friend gave me this Prince cover, Nothing Compares 2 U. The cover artists aren't pretty boys, but good cover. Listen to the lyrics. It's gay. (My friend is straight..., isn't that weird?)

Ashi, I humbly suggest the best version is Sinéad O'Connor's from 1990 :)

She looks so vulnerable and those are genuine tears when she starts to cry at around 3:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bfh0byDmRX0

• Like 1

Ashi, I humbly suggest the best version is Sinéad O'Connor's from 1990 Posted Image

She looks so vulnerable and those are genuine tears when she starts to cry at around 3:40

Wow, thanx for sharing Zombie. I loved this vid.
  • Like 1