Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Same Love

Sara Alva

I love this song! An American friend of mine first referred it to me; her mother is a lesbian, so the themes in it are something that's close to her heart.

I hadn't seen the music video before though, it's beautiful. :) Thanks for sharing.

Lovely, but why is it so visually male dominated? The song is about woman love (though that's just the paradigm, I accept). But I wonder why the main female element has been cast in the baby role (and it looked like a boy to me :P ).

Good to see Hip Hop getting a little less hypocritical, though. There are parts of hip hop that are perfectly comfortable with recreational male to male sex, (it's called giving him the cookies), but love is for mw, and saying you love another man gets you beat up bad.

Thanks for this Sara.

Lovely, but why is it so visually male dominated? The song is about woman love (though that's just the paradigm, I accept). But I wonder why the main female element has been cast in the baby role (and it looked like a boy to me Posted Image ).

Good to see Hip Hop getting a little less hypocritical, though. There are parts of hip hop that are perfectly comfortable with recreational male to male sex, (it's called giving him the cookies), but love is for mw, and saying you love another man gets you beat up bad.

Thanks for this Sara.

Yeah I think it's not necessarily supposed to be about 'woman love'...even though it says that in the chorus Posted Image The artist is actually taking a stand for marriage equality. My theory as to the male dominance in the video-- 'woman love' seems to be somewhat accepted in the inner city area where I work (someone told me it's a hip hop/rap 'cradle' :P). I'm guessing the choice was made to direct attention to a love that still needs much more respect.

Edited by KingdombytheSea

• 7 months later...

Wow!  It was very well done and made a lot of great points.  I hope it also got through to at least some of the target audience. 

i think this is lovely.

and i love the progression of time. being an young teen in the 90's, i dunno how it was in the US, but the only image you got of gay people, men in particular, was of infidelity as standard, and that monogomy and stable relationships were a rare thing. you read books set in the 80s and it's all about nameless sex.

marriage equality rocks.

i think this is lovely.

and i love the progression of time. being an young teen in the 90's, i dunno how it was in the US, but the only image you got of gay people, men in particular, was of infidelity as standard, and that monogomy and stable relationships were a rare thing. you read books set in the 80s and it's all about nameless sex.

marriage equality rocks.

It was essentially the same in the states.  Some people still view it that way.  But things have gotten better. :D

• 2 weeks later...

There should be more songs like that.

And also, I'd really appreciate it if male singers would stop 'squeezing in' a 'girl' or 'woman' in their love songs, so I could at least pretend like they're singing them to a guy ;-) 

There should be more songs like that.

And also, I'd really appreciate it if male singers would stop 'squeezing in' a 'girl' or 'woman' in their love songs, so I could at least pretend like they're singing them to a guy ;-) 

When I write love songs I always take care not to use gendered pronouns, so anyone could sing them to anyone.

• 2 months later...