Comic Books? (geek factor +10)

I used to, but I hate the way modern comics always have to shove the editors/writers politics into the story. Plus I'm sick of huge, world changing event comics happening every year. House of M was the last one I didn't hate. And don't even get me started on that DC reboot crap. If I'm gonna read comics I'll stick with stuff from the ninties to mid 2000's and manga.

I used to, but I hate the way modern comics always have to shove the editors/writers politics into the story. Plus I'm sick of huge, world changing event comics happening every year. House of M was the last one I didn't hate. And don't even get me started on that DC reboot crap. If I'm gonna read comics I'll stick with stuff from the ninties to mid 2000's and manga.

I like the older stuff too but my tastes go back to the 80s and 90s. I've got a lot of the Classic X-men stuff from the original series that go back to the sixties and seventies.

But... I cheat and get the compilations in graphic novel form.

Some of the stories are so-so but the reason that we're seeing so many comic book ==> movie cross overs is that many of the stories were pretty darned good.

I used to follow Dandy and Beano, and I used to buy all of the annuals, but the prices charged these days are ridiculous.

When I first started buying Dandy and Beano comics (early 1980s), the comics were 8p each (now £1.50 for the exact same comic, and I'm not paying that for a 35 page comic)

I recently finished my first two graphic novel books, both published by northwest press. "Teleny & Camille" which is an adaptation by Jon Macy of the erotic story "Teleny" sometimes attributed to Oscar Wilde and his circle of friends and "Transposes" which is a collection of stories about gay transmen compiled, written and illustrated by Dylan Edwards.

I liked them both and it was a nice change from regular books. As a download on itunes books, they turned out great and look sharp on the ipad. easy reading on a screen. Don't think I could make the graphic novel or comics my exclusive fare though.

I like comics, but i follow the graphic novels more. Favorites are: Tarot Cafe, Full metal alchemist, Trigun, Ergo proxy. Posted Image I guess I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to graphic novels/ manga,hehe

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wonder if you prefer to read the comics or watch the Animation?/ Anime?

Depends on the quality of both. Some Anime lacks detail and vocal synch with narration/dialogue - even when running subtitles - which makes me lose interest sometimes.

Originally what got me into the graphics side of things - back in 1965, a character came along in the UK called The Spider.

Possibly the very first anti-hero in UK comic history.

Now, I have to admit, I'm hooked again, this time on Blacksad

Hmmm, didn't realise they were so big - anyway, google them if you're interested.

• Like 1

I was a huge DC fan. I started collecting in the 80s. I have every one of the big books from DC when they were relaunching most of their titles. My Flash wasn't Barry Allen but his nephew Wally West. My Wonder Woman was reimagined by George Perez. I read the Titans, JLA, JSA, JLI, Birds of Prey, and so many others. I read Marvel as well but then Marvel began having stories that ran through every book they had. I dropped it in favor of DC. Then about a year or so later DC did the same thing. Last year DC rebooted again. I hate the characters I'd loved for 20 years with their new stories, weird reboots and all. It was like taking the worst aspects of everything and going for it.

Want to read a great series. Buy the Trade Paperbacks of The Sandman. There was a great story.

I only read marvel comics.

I subscribe to Uncanny X-Men, X-Factor, X-Men Legacy and Young Avengers (though they seem to have taken a break).

Young Avengers has been my favorite series as well - the two gay characters Billy and Teddy - and how the Scarlet Witch has played such a big role in the series so far.

Makes my fanboy heart beat extra fast. :)

Posted Image

• Like 2

I grew up in a place where comics were really expensive and few and far between, so never really got into them sadly. The only one's I can remember seeing or reading were Beano or Dandy, and that was probably from people who'd been over to visit the UK and brought them back.

Marvel and other lines of popular comics were hardly ever seen in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe.

As a kind I used to follow two comic strips in the paper though. We had good ol Andy Capp and Hagar the Horrible. :P I loved Hagar. We eventually also got Garfield and then Fred Basset which could be fun sometimes. :)

Posted Image

There's a 600+ page pdf kicking around the 'net which claims to have every C&H strip. Got to admit, I've been dipping into that from time to time, just to get my humour going again. Will look out Alro & Janis on the Go Comics site

I've followed Nightwing since the beginning of the series, and now into the New 52 stuff. Followed teen titans in the 80s and early 90s, some x-men, some batman, fgollowed fantastic four in the 80s and early 90s. Now I've gotten into manga's too. Priest, Gungrave, Rebirth, Wolf's Rain, Devil may Cry, and King of Hell are the series i'm still trying to collect in full. I'm a justice leaue fan as well, though I haven't seen any of the new 52 stuff on them, if there is any, comic shop is just too far away to get to often enough I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I've followed Nightwing since the beginning of the series, and now into the New 52 stuff. Followed teen titans in the 80s and early 90s, some x-men, some batman, fgollowed fantastic four in the 80s and early 90s. Now I've gotten into manga's too. Priest, Gungrave, Rebirth, Wolf's Rain, Devil may Cry, and King of Hell are the series i'm still trying to collect in full. I'm a justice leaue fan as well, though I haven't seen any of the new 52 stuff on them, if there is any, comic shop is just too far away to get to often enough I'm afraid.

OMG I love the Devil May Cry anime! Reading it is cool, playing the video games is awesome. I've always thought Gungrave a bit sad. Currently working on collecting Wolf's rain. ^_^

OMG I love the Devil May Cry anime! Reading it is cool, playing the video games is awesome. I've always thought Gungrave a bit sad. Currently working on collecting Wolf's rain. Posted Image

I've only played the game a few times, but enjoyed every one. I've watched my way through Saiyuki and am working on collecting those books as well. I just wish the story had reached some sort of actual conclusion.