Sports Person of the Year

So it is the BBC Sports Person of the Year on Telly tonight.

After such an amazing year of sport here in the UK, how the hell do we choose just one to win?

Jeeeeesh, I don't envy the people that gotta choose.

For me, the big inspirations this year were Luke Campbell and Nicola Adam. They were the big champs.

But the overall treasure story for me was Mo Farah on the track.

:) :) :) :)

So who was your sports person of the year?

Edited by Yettie One

I was very impressed with Mike Trout of the California Angels (that's baseball, by the way).  He won Rookie of the Year in the Americam League (AL) and was second in voting for the AL's MVP award.  The winner there was Miguel Cabrera (Detroit Tigers) who achieved the Triple Crown (best batting average, home runs and runs batted in).

Since these awards were implemented, only 2 players in baseball history have won the Rookie and MVP awards in the same year - both were in the AL.  The last player to do that was Ichiro in 1991 while with the Seatle Mariners.  The other was Fred Lynn, back in the 70's or 80's.  He was with the Boston Red Sox.

Trout is hot, too!  0:)

• 3 weeks later...

I guess one would be able to name one athlete depending on the sport that they actually like/watch...

I personally would have to say Roger Federer, why? Because, when many people could have said that his time was done, he manage to do it, get back at the top ranking spot on the ATP, beat the record of most week spent on the top; Win another Grand Slam, extending his own record.

• Like 1

For once definately the right person won this award. Bradley Wiggins was sensational. The first Brit ever to win the Tour de France followed a few weeks later by a gold medal at the olympics. He was unbeaten this year in any time trial. To be so dominant in such a highly competitive and physically demanding sport as professional cycling is incredible. To achieve this without the use of performance enhancing drugs will I hope inspire others to do the same and may rescue a sport that has been riddled with cheats and scandal for so long. I don't even follow cycling but Bradley is the best sports person this year.

Definitely have to agree with Conner and go with the Triple Crown baseball winner Miguel Cabrera, as much as I hate to since in baseball I'm all about Joey Votto.. lol. 

No Americans were in the running for the BBC award.  The winner was Bradley Wiggins.  Andy Murray came in third.  See:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/sports-personality/20748902

Below are the results of the phone voting for the 2012 BBC Sports Personality of the Year main award:

Total votes: 1,626,718

1. Bradley Wiggins 492,064 (30.25%)

2. Jessica Ennis 372,765 (22.92%)

3. Andy Murray 230,444 (14.17%)

4. Mo Farah 131,327 (8.07%)

5. David Weir 114,633 (7.05%)

6. Ellie Simmonds 102,894 (6.33%)

7. Sir Chris Hoy 42,961 (2.64%)

8. Nicola Adams 35,560 (2.19%)

9. Ben Ainslie 35,373 (2.17%)

10. Rory McIlroy 29,729 (1.83%)

11. Katherine Grainger 28,626 (1.76%)