Android v. iPhone. Preference?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of smartphone do you have?

• iPhone (any model, but please specify below)
    • Android (any model, but please specify below)
    • Other (please specify below)
    • I still have a basic phone.

Sony Xperia Pro. For the keyboard. Am I allowed to say that I hate touchscreens in general for typing? Because I do. They absolutely suck for long messages, forum posts or IM. This is the biggest reason I've stuck to Android - they're still making some phones with QWERTY keyboards.

On the iOS vs Android side of things. I started off with Android because I could afford it, and also because I don't like Apple as a company. I think they charge too much for what they offer and generally give off a dictator kind of vibe. Having said that, I have had an iPhone for work and it was very easy to use. I can easily see why people like it, and I can also appreciate Apple's quality control and customer care.

It's just that I have everything on Google (contacts, calendar, drive) and am directionally challenged hence heavily dependent on Maps. And I also like Android's widgets, customisation etc. If you could somehow merge the strong points of both and add a QWERTY keyboard, I'd be a very happy bunny :yes:

• Like 2

Sony Xperia Pro. For the keyboard. Am I allowed to say that I hate touchscreens in general for typing? Because I do. They absolutely suck for long messages, forum posts or IM. This is the biggest reason I've stuck to Android - they're still making some phones with QWERTY keyboards.

On the iOS vs Android side of things. I started off with Android because I could afford it, and also because I don't like Apple as a company. I think they charge too much for what they offer and generally give off a dictator kind of vibe. Having said that, I have had an iPhone for work and it was very easy to use. I can easily see why people like it, and I can also appreciate Apple's quality control and customer care.

It's just that I have everything on Google (contacts, calendar, drive) and am directionally challenged hence heavily dependent on Maps. And I also like Android's widgets, customisation etc. If you could somehow merge the strong points of both and add a QWERTY keyboard, I'd be a very happy bunny :yes:

The keyboard is the reason I've stuck with Android too. I hate typing on the screen keyboard, physical keyboards ftw.

• Like 1

thanks for the reply

are they all linux \ unix based?

iPad and iPhone share the same OS. Apps for iOS run on either device. Mac OS is different, although there are some common features among all three, i.e. iCloud, Mac OS is a fully fleshed out PC operating system, like Windows.

Does the ipad require a lot of cleaning? what do u clean it with? 

will the ipad ever have the quad four like androids?

quads can do great game graphics like dif shades of colors etc

I've worked 2.5 years in the local Apple Store... The question answers itself, I have right now the iPhone4S. For easiness to use, better OS upgrade process, still at some point stability, Apple will still make a better product.

I'll however be honest to say that the **Major** Android devices are still good, but for a big part of the "cheaper" ones, it will be horrible experience.

another iphone bug?

Yup.  Looks like they used ISO week of year rather than actual year in the programming.  It's the difference between YYYY (usually wrong) and yyyy (usually right).

Small, tiny bug that can only be expressed under very specific circumstances.

someone described YYYY as the fiscal year

so would that mean ?

WB 12/30/2012 - 1/5/2013 => 2012

WE 12/29/2013 - 1/4/2014 => 2013

it be confusing to see 1/5/2012(FY) is really 1/5/2013 vs 1/5/2012 without some notation next to it

I presume its understood in the field it filled is FY dated

Yup.  Looks like they used ISO week of year rather than actual year in the programming.  It's the difference between YYYY (usually wrong) and yyyy (usually right).

Small, tiny bug that can only be expressed under very specific circumstances.

someone described YYYY as the fiscal year

so would that mean ?

WB 12/30/2012 - 1/5/2013 => 2012

WE 12/29/2013 - 1/4/2014 => 2013

it be confusing to see 1/5/2012(FY) is really 1/5/2013 vs 1/5/2012 without some notation next to it

I presume its understood in the field it filled is FY dated

In this case, it's a formatting thing.  In the date formatting apple is using, YYYY stands for ISO Week of Year, and yyyy stands for calendar year.  Nothing to do with fiscal years.

I fall in with the Android camp.  My current phone is a Casio G'Zone Commando.  As a mobile device it's been pretty well bullet proof, living up to its design.  My occupation leads to me unintentionally abusing phones.  Being able to drop, soak, and expose the phone to excess amounts of dirt and debris without worry has been nice.  In terms of operating platform, I just prefer the compartmentalized nature of 'droids.  Its also a bit more intuitive for someone who's been around non-mac products most of my life.

last column is iso week format

Mon 29 Dec 2008 2008-12-29 2009-W01-1 Tue 30 Dec 2008 2008-12-30 2009-W01-2 Wed 31 Dec 2008 2008-12-31 2009-W01-3 Thu 1 Jan 2009 2009-01-01 2009-W01-4

isn't also logic error since the function won't come out out until 1/7/2013 when turned on

In this case, it's a formatting thing.  In the date formatting apple is using, YYYY stands for ISO Week of Year, and yyyy stands for calendar year.  Nothing to do with fiscal years.
  • Site Administrator

Windows Phone hands down.

I like my xbox achievements on my phone.

Plus, it's a unique, useful interface, unlike iPhone and the me too Android interface.

How indestructible is your smartphone?

the cheaper iPhone roomer

* feeling the pressure of the cheaper google phones

* iphone casing\shell might be made from a polycarbonante => does that mean its easier to break upon dropping the phone from 18 inches?

* made from recycled older iphone parts

apple could scrap the idea if the roomers prove negative

a less-expensive iPhone could risks crimping profit margins

Edited by hh5

If you're referring to the news about a 'new, cheaper' iPhone, nobody knows how durable it will be compared to current models.  I'd say 'hey, at least it's not glass!', but the Gorilla Glass that iPhones use is actually pretty darned tough.

Windows Phone hands down.

I like my xbox achievements on my phone.

Plus, it's a unique, useful interface, unlike iPhone and the me too Android interface.

I wanted to try out a windows phone (Nokia one of coure) but ended up with the good old Samsung SII. Which one do you use? I am assuming Nokia?