Android v. iPhone. Preference?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which kind of smartphone do you have?

• iPhone (any model, but please specify below)
    • Android (any model, but please specify below)
    • Other (please specify below)
    • I still have a basic phone.

Matt, I'm an Android guy (Droid X) and was considering an iPhone5 as my next upgrade.  Can you elaborate what you like better about the iPhone or what you miss on the Android?   I have an iPad, so I'm somewhat familiar with IOS. 

But phone-wise, there are things like Swype & Voice to text that like I like about my Droid X.

I've heard from iPhone only people, but not really anyone who's objectively used both.

Thanks,

Vic :vic2:

Matt, I'm an Android guy (Droid X) and was considering an iPhone5 as my next upgrade.  Can you elaborate what you like better about the iPhone or what you miss on the Android?   I have an iPad, so I'm somewhat familiar with IOS. 

But phone-wise, there are things like Swype & Voice to text that like I like about my Droid X.

I've heard from iPhone only people, but not really anyone who's objectively used both.

Thanks,

Vic :Vic2:

What I like most about the iPhone is how all my other Apple products sync up with it. I no longer need an iPod and my music automatically syncs even if I downloaded the song on my MacBook. The same goes for Apps, e-books, etc, where the syncing is far more easier and usually automatic where Android is not. I also like the iMessage system, where when you are texting someone else with an iPhone it acts like an instant messenger instead of texting, making communication much faster. I also have a lot less problems with apps freezing or running slow on my iPhone 5 then I did with my Galaxy S II. Plus, I was already familiar with the iOS system so there was hardly any learning curve when I first got it. And you can not deny the trendy/cool factor of the iPhone or any Apple product for that matter.

A couple other things I like is being able to receive and send texts to people's phones using the 'Messages' app on my MacBook so I don't even need to have my phone. Basically, the best thing about iPhone is that it syncs with everything else and is less complicated then Android. 

• Like 1

I heard about the iphone ... as a phone it sucks ... as a computer its grand ... as ipod extension ... one is happy to have their music 

as a camera its meant to take pictures of the person ... not fore or background which is fuzzy

what can be said about a android ... and a blackberry?

I hate Apple. Hate. They start out with a good idea but the second someone else gets ahold of it they do it better and less expensively. The iPod is pretty much useless because you can get an off brand MP3 player that does everything except play songs from iTunes but you can add songs you download from anywhere else, the Kindle Fire and other non iPad tablets are better than the iPad, more options, more compatibility, way better app store and Andriod are definitely better than the overpriced hipster status symbol that is the iPhone. Again you get the better app store that isn't censored and it works better as a phone. Oh, and of course, Apple Maps. Do I even need to explain that one? So yeah, I'm definitely an Andriod guy.

I hate Apple. Hate. They start out with a good idea but the second someone else gets ahold of it they do it better and less expensively. The iPod is pretty much useless because you can get an off brand MP3 player that does everything except play songs from iTunes but you can add songs you download from anywhere else, the Kindle Fire and other non iPad tablets are better than the iPad, more options, more compatibility, way better app store and Andriod are definitely better than the overpriced hipster status symbol that is the iPhone. Again you get the better app store that isn't censored and it works better as a phone. Oh, and of course, Apple Maps. Do I even need to explain that one? So yeah, I'm definitely an Andriod guy.

The iPhone a hipster thing? Yeah, ok....

Edited by TetRefine

Android through and through. I've had a Galaxy SII for over a year now and it's worked perfectly for me. The biggest problem I had was the battery suddenly overheating the getting drained. It was fixed by taking the battery out, cleaning the phone, and putting it back in. Works like new. Voice recognition is perfect, the apps are more than fine for what I need them, the speed is amazing, connectivity is good and the dual-microphone it has filters out any and all noises when I'm talking to someone. I've had people ask me mid-conversation where I was and when I'd say I was at school or on the street, they wouldn't believe me because there was absolutely no background noise. So yeah. I'm not planning on switching to an iPhone anytime soon. In fact, I plan to upgrade to S4 once it comes out. Samsung did a fantastic job with the Galaxy series and I really don't see what Apple could possibly offer me to make me want to buy their phone. 

Why I prefer Android (and I own a Galaxy Nexus)

- Map system doesn't suck. (It has access to Locus Map the best map app ever made, last time I checked, iPhone did not have it, which brings us to the next one...) 

- iPhone app store only allows apps in to the app store after long reviews (often weeks). Android lets any developer in as long as they agree to their policies.  

- Keyboard, typing text messages or e-mail messages are so much easier on the android than the apple.

- Customizability, I want my home screen to work as effecient for me as possible. Why do I have to chose which apps that are quick accessed in the dock? I don't understand that.

- Widgets are better, looks more clean

- Stellar integration with the google services like calendar and drive. 

Edited by Maximoff
  • Like 1

I think my bro has a blackberry or some smart phone ... he has to take out the battery after charging ... it won't come out of sleep mode

Android through and through. I've had a Galaxy SII for over a year now and it's worked perfectly for me. The biggest problem I had was the battery suddenly overheating the getting drained. It was fixed by taking the battery out, cleaning the phone, and putting it back in. Works like new. Voice recognition is perfect, the apps are more than fine for what I need them, the speed is amazing, connectivity is good and the dual-microphone it has filters out any and all noises when I'm talking to someone. I've had people ask me mid-conversation where I was and when I'd say I was at school or on the street, they wouldn't believe me because there was absolutely no background noise. So yeah. I'm not planning on switching to an iPhone anytime soon. In fact, I plan to upgrade to S4 once it comes out. Samsung did a fantastic job with the Galaxy series and I really don't see what Apple could possibly offer me to make me want to buy their phone. 

agree to policies is one thing ... but ... putting out a bad app that's after your personal info is a very risky possibility

I heard apple checks out apps and certifies them - not verified - I don't own any apple products

I am no sure if amazon, microsoft, or android does this 

if I infer the 30% cut in app sales by Microsoft ... we better hope Microsoft certifies apps for that price

how many install mcaffee in their smart phones? lol the holes in design lets security app maker have another recurring income 

because we're unwilling to pay the price up front

I hope that apple is real good at keep rogue apps off anyones iphone for the high price they charge

probably not ... i just learn my bro has mcaffee on his mac laptop

Why I prefer Android (and I own a Galaxy Nexus)

- Map system doesn't suck. (It has access to Locus Map the best map app ever made, last time I checked, iPhone did not have it, which brings us to the next one...) 

- iPhone app store only allows apps in to the app store after long reviews (often weeks). Android lets any developer in as long as they agree to their policies.  

- Keyboard, typing text messages or e-mail messages are so much easier on the android than the apple.

- Customizability, I want my home screen to work as effecient for me as possible. Why do I have to chose which apps that are quick accessed in the dock? I don't understand that.

- Widgets are better, looks more clean

- Stellar integration with the google services like calendar and drive. 

Just to give some background, I started with a Palm phone years ago.  (Originally an old, old model that my dad gave me when the cell ran out; I used it as a PDA / reader)  I upgraded to a dedicated Palm PDA later, and finally merged phone and PDA when I got a Palm Treo.

Palm was there before iPhone or Android made smartphones 'sexy', before Blackberry made them 'business friendly'.

When my Treo died, I wound up upgrading to Android.  Because of my job, when my Android died I wound up upgrading to iPhone.  That's the important bit about my history there: I upgraded from Android to iPhone because of business considerations.

The thing is, I've never looked back.

• Superior stability - iOS is much more stable than android is, in general.  This is a combination of the underlying software and the higher barrier to access.  I like the long review times Apple imposes.  Yes, it's a pain when it swings against me, but it means that any App that hits the Appstore is more or less guaranteed to work, and be crash free.  (And, honestly, the 99$ developer license is NOT that much of a burden / barrier to entry)
  • Better App Availability -- Yes, you can get apps onto the android 'easier', but speaking as a developer its actually easier to program for iPhone than android -- you have a very limited number of devices, with a very limited set of screens you have to program for.  (Originally it was iPhone Vs iPad, now you have the iPhone extra tall in there as well).  The term for those that want to do research is 'fragmentation'; this causes both stability issues and developmental issues for Android.
  • Better update reliability -- I don't have to wait for my carrier to decide I should get an update.  My phone can have any OS update it wants, up until it can no longer run them (as decided, yes, by Apple).  This doesn't sound like a huge deal, but the fundamental issue is that carriers would rather sell you a new phone than update your software.  Apple will update your software because it understands that that brings you back.
  • 'It just works' -- The android phone was finicky at times, strange at times, and tricky at times.  99.999% of the time, my iPhone 'just works'.
  • Good design -- Apple has a very strong focus on design, and honestly -- it shows.  Their devices and apps look good, and the ecosystem they've built up is filled with apps that look just as good.  And it's more than looks; they function in a manner I can only call 'smoothly' -- and it shows.  To the point where the one app that managed to sneak through their filters (that I've found so far) is a HUGE annoyance.  All because of one button that I can actually hit... if I work at it.

As a note, it's completely possible to sync the iPhone contacts / calendar with Google Contacts/Calendar; I've done so.  Google maps is also available as an option.

agree to policies is one thing ... but ... putting out a bad app that's after your personal info is a very risky possibility

I heard apple checks out apps and certifies them - not verified - I don't own any apple products

I am no sure if amazon, microsoft, or android does this 

if I infer the 30% cut in app sales by Microsoft ... we better hope Microsoft certifies apps for that price

Apple very much checks into how apps use your data.  They can't verify it 100%, but if an app wants access to anything personal -- contact book, location, etc -- they have to ASK for it.  So when in doubt, just say no.  Furthermore, if Apple catches someone breaking the rules, they can and will yank the app.  (Some apps have tried to use your contacts list for something legitimate, and then 'phone home' with the entire thing... Apple was not amused)  And since a lot of people like catching Apple with their hand in the till, those apps are found.  After all, it's such fun to embarrass Apple by claiming it's their fault.

• Like 2

thank you for your apple review rilber

Question does apple detect rogue apps that try to steal pw and user info used in banking??
That the next issue in 2013 ... people pls reguarly check your balances n statements ... its a cyber attack thats coming in addition to the fiscal cliff

I am not a smartphone user ... so one day if I do become one ... I will have to play with the unit until I see its usable for me

but still I would keep in mind everyone's reviews of their phones

Microsoft is copying apple:

* certifying applications

* charging model 70% rev goes to dev, 30% rev goes to apple

the issue is that the seller must multiply what they want to make from the app by 130% ... 100 sale -> 130 app store sale

I do realize every phone has its problems that is designed that way ... by QA ... acceptable issues

so far I only know of apple ... I was a bit intimated by the android commercials ... they didn't say what they were

but they reminded me of Battlestar Galactica

here is the issues of iphone in general

* a user I know bought an iphone 4\4s - that phone had a power drain issue - it was about apps running - he hoped that apple would come up with a patch in the next month or two ... wrong ... none ... I suppose after that ... he sold his iphone and upgraded to the next model

* Apple Maps - everyone knows its suicide to release a software that's like alpha-ware - the smart move was to release it when its ready - I heard apple doesn't release any product news until its ready - that's policy that Cook said on TV ... well he's the one responsible for the blunder ... an article written about cook - he doesn't care about it - he cares about the sexy curve design of an iphone or laptop - but not the user functionality - until they lash back with complaints 

* Google Maps - it seems to me that I seem to hear that upon the release of iphone5 - apple block users from adding google maps to the iphone - that in itself would be highly illegal if it were true or not - what is your impression of the apple appology - it tells you how to enable google maps they blocked ... its wrong for them to block the free choice of the user

* the connector - apple has people buy new connectors - its an issue but really its not because non-apple phone people always have to buy new add ons - the connectors always change

* Everything apple - yes you can not buy an OEM or non approved apple add-on - the reason why - it decreases incompatibility - it increases apple sales of everything - it increases the user experience

* battery - I guess the innovation of the molded battery - is to prevent OEM batteries from damaging the iphone - however it forces the user to upgrade to a new phone even though a detachable battery would make the user investment worth more

* scratchability of the iphone5 - another apple customer issue - where does apple anticipate the user experience again?

* purple glare on photos

* photo taking - I hear the issue is that u take a picture of someone ... the background is out of focus and the foreground is out of focus ... in regular cameras f-b-grounds are sometimes in focus

* light leaking out of phone

* rattling parts inside phone

* date n time bug

* unresponsive touchscreen 

yes I heard that the ios is better than the android and java library is more efficient than the android os ... android is only two years old I hear and apple is like 5 years old ... software gets more polished as it ages ... apple has 3 years on android ... 

To quote Steve Wozniak, Apple Co-Founder, "“My primary phone is the iPhone,” Woz says. “I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do.”

The purpose of having competition is that it causes each maker ... to improve their products for people to buy the brand ... microsoft had to keep apple around so that they would not be considered a monopoly ... its funny that microsoft didn't buy red hat to combat linux

The reality is that not very many people really care about that deep the technical comparisons ... it gets anal retentive in terms of that people don't understand what all this sw mombo jobo means ... all they care is that they use their phone and it works ... the less they have to complain about the better the perception of the product ... the product is dam reliable ... but not too reliable ... people need something to complain about ... otherwise paying for service contracts ... no company makes money

* Steve Jobs effect - well apple does well when he is around to challenge his company to make the products that he is so passionate about ... I've seen the doco ... he made apple a real company that prides itself behind the product it sells ... unlike microsoft ... abandonment galore ... but jobs isn't around any more ... apple historically languishes ... the good question - can cooks change that? - from a recent interview - its wait and see but I've already seen the blunders ... and yes microsoft has made a similar blunder too ... we wonder what will become of its products to come or will their pad die??

yes - i have been through - you have to use the equipment that the company uses - yes I have been in a company that changes the equipment out frequently because of cost and reliability - the change is erky - but the fun is when you mastered the use of the new equipment - I been with a company that runs its equipment into the ground before they change it out ... it makes you resilient to try to adapt in keep customer experience highly efficient

I have to say ... I don't go by identity if I have an iphone or android - I go by that it functions well - even if I have to give up interoperbility

I used a pager from work ... then the world changed when we moved to RIMM ...  I'm glad I never made it to smartphone ... its hell to pay when the company wants more of your life in the off hours

I remain an observer of the product or company preferences ... I hope one day some of the products makes its way into my life if its needed to make it productive

please note its ok to have an apple or an android or any phone u can afford ...

not everyone can afford a lexus but can afford a toyota or can only afford a hyundi 

just make sure it doesn't break down on the road as well as the repairs and maintenance and cost of ownership is within your budget ... going chapter 11 isn't worth the problems ... if status was key

it sounds like horror stories ... if someone has to sell their first born to own an apple product when they can afford something lessor ... 

I like to hear more of android n blackberry complaints as well as praises ... every company has good and bad

Edited by hh5

I have an Motorola Droid Razr Maxx (Verizon Employee Edition - Same as regular version just a different color.)

I find Android east to use and could never get on the iphone bandwagon. I have played with the major operating systems and Android and iOS are the top ones. Windows and Blackberry have a long way to go.

I always tell people it's best to decide and play with the devices in store see what you like. When it comes down to it there are almost the same. iOS is more user friendly, but I like the ability my Droid has for customization. I also like that all the extra accessories I got with my Blackberry a few years back have worked with the 3 Android device's I've had.

I don't ever see myself with a iOS device.