Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Christmas Dinner

sat8997

Roast chicken with Chinese five-spice, lemon, lime and herbs...

I would be very interested in knowing how this turns out.

Dessert is simply lemon icebox pie...

Joann, would you be interested in passing that recipe along?

Am I going to go out at 8:15 at night in the rain in search of plums?

Shrimp boil. Because my husband bought shrimp at the last minute to take to his sister's this evening. The store where he bought the shrimp didn't have any. So I stopped at a different on my way home from work, also in the rain. I got home, soaking wet to find shrimp boil setting on the table. Seems they did have the shrimp boil, he was looking in the wrong place. He didn't see the necessity of calling me to let me know that little tidbit. :rolleyes:

Edited by sat8997

I'm having tofurky, but I am not going vegetarian or vegan, its an Asian thing. Although outside a chicken, most things i am making don't have any meat or animal byproduct including milk/butter.

Maybe i should do a reverse "Christmas story" without the duck :P

The mother-in-law has just asked me to bake my spiced plum crumble.

Am I going to go out at 8:15 at night in the rain in search of plums?

Of course I am, or I'll never hear the end of it :)

LOL! I'm not a fan of plums, but I am a fan of fruit crumble recipes. :D 

Roast chicken with Chinese five-spice, lemon, lime and herbs...

I would be very interested in knowing how this turns out.

I'll let you know how it goes, although it is just a recipe from the BBC Good Food site :)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2428/gordons-christmas-roast-goose-

My brother Chris and I will be at our home for the holidays, returning to Berkeley on January 5 or 6. Our folks, two sisters, and grandfather will be there for Christmas dinner (that's today, our time). Our mom is cooking a turkey will all the trimmings. We'll all help out with the heavy work like chopping onions and celery and parsley and whatever else needs to be done. Tomorrow morning Chris and I and Doug and Steve will drive to Tahoe Donner and go cross country skiing and return Friday evening. Doug and Steve have never gone XC skiing so they'll take lessons. I hope they like it.

Colin B)

The answer to the question is nothing! I can't be bothered to cook. This is the worst day to be totally on your own and I hate it! Am I the only one? I don't think so, but I shouldn't read these posts. I have a warm house and plenty of food if I want it. I know that there are people much worse off than me, but it don't make it any easier. Don't want to spoil the occassion but not everyone out there is having a ball.

The answer to the question is nothing! I can't be bothered to cook. This is the worst day to be totally on your own and I hate it! Am I the only one? I don't think so, but I shouldn't read these posts. I have a warm house and plenty of food if I want it. I know that there are people much worse off than me, but it don't make it any easier. Don't want to spoil the occassion but not everyone out there is having a ball.

Which is why you offer people living on the street some old winter coats you don't wear or maybe a portion of your Christmas Dinner (even if it is slightly vegetable heavy).

Beyond the religious overtones that not everyone will like, Christmas is a holiday of giving and sharing with your fellow man as well. That's why friends come over for dinner, in laws come over for visits, and families gather around a table. Life is hard and despite the progress from the time of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" poverty and want is still around. We can't get rid of those bad things in the world, but for one moment in time, we can try to be better.

I leave you with one of my favorite passages from "A Christmas Carol":

“They are Man's and they cling to me, appealing from their fathers. This boy is Ignorance and this girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”

We got a little present each from a friend last night - just a couple of chocolates - and in the note was a reminder that we had insisted he come to ours for Christmas day, the first year after he got divorced. He has always been extraordinarily grateful for that, for reasons I can't quite fathom. I would never see a friend on their own on Christmas day or New Year's day. It's just natural to me. Being on your own is one thing, but I suggest you have a look at your friend group, because if they are not looing after y ou in this way, they deserve a damned good slapping in my opinion. I just could not live with myself if I didn't respond to my friends in this way. Rob fucked up his dinner today and I invited him from Yorkshire. Of course, he didn't come, but if he had, I'd have been delighted.

• Like 1

We got a little present each from a friend last night - just a couple of chocolates - and in the note was a reminder that we had insisted he come to ours for Christmas day, the first year after he got divorced. He has always been extraordinarily grateful for that, for reasons I can't quite fathom. I would never see a friend on their own on Christmas day or New Year's day. It's just natural to me. Being on your own is one thing, but I suggest you have a look at your friend group, because if they are not looing after y ou in this way, they deserve a damned good slapping in my opinion. I just could not live with myself if I didn't respond to my friends in this way. Rob fucked up his dinner today and I invited him from Yorkshire. Of course, he didn't come, but if he had, I'd have been delighted.

You are a good friend. I do the same with my friends who have nowhere to go on the holidays. It is an open invitation every year. I've had four coworkers two years in a row and another friend I've had over for Thanksgiving and Christmas the last three years.

I would hate to have a friend of mine be lonely during the holidays.

Christmas Eve is Mexican. Christmas tamales, enchiladas, carne asada, carnitas, pollo asado, rice & beans, Caesar salad and corn and flour tortillas, Noche Buena cerveza.

Christmas Day is prime rib au jus with Yorkshire pudding, roast goose with apple/sage/oyster dressing, red potatoes, slivered almond green beans, sweet & sour cabbage, tomato Caprese salad, bread pudding, figgy pudding, and ice cream.

• Site Administrator

Turkey is in the oven with stuffing inside of it. Potatoes will be mashed and then carrots, peas, beans almondene, broccoli, and cauliflower with cheese sauce. Hot Butter Pan Buns. Caesar or Tossed Salad. Lots of Gravy! Red or White wine followed up with either Pumpkin or Apple Pie for dessert.

Oh, and have to have the Christmas crackers with the cheesy paper crowns on all of our head through out the dinner :D

Edited by wildone

One of the best parts of Christmas since I've moved to California are all the tamales people share.  This year I also got some very tasty chile verde ones  :)

Christmas tamales
Edited by NaperVic