Superpride

LGBT Romance in Video Games

I always love playing video games that offer the player the ability to make their own decisions like the customization of their character’s appearance and skills. I especially love it when that choosability extends to romancing different characters. The best example I can think of right now is the video-game series called Mass Effect. I loved romancing Kaiden Alenko during the third game, and a fun fact is the face model for this character is an openly gay man. It’s a shame the player couldn’t romance him in the first game of trilogy if they played as a male Shepard. Rumors have been spreading that a remastered version of the trilogy is in the works. If that’s true, I hope they allow male Shepard to romance Kaiden at the very beginning because there is direct evidence that shows Kaiden and another character Ashley Williams could’ve been romanced regardless of Shepard’s gender.

I’m really looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077 when it’s released on November. From what I watched and read, the game will allow players to romance characters of the same gender. You’re even allowed to choose who your character hookups with at the beginning of the game haha. I’m in desperate need for a video game that allows the player to have an in-depth, gay romance since other games that have this feature that I’ve played didn’t satisfy my romantic itch. Mass Effect as well as the Dragon Age series are great examples of romance done right, with other games like Fallout 4 and Assassin’s Creed Odyssey feeling like it was more of an afterthought than an integral part of the game.

Do you know of any video-game romances that you remembered and loved, particularly in the LGBT department?

• Like 2

Dragon Age, also from Bioware, had a number of gay romance options, like you mentioned.  Though they also liked their surprises on that in both Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age 3 (inquisition). (seriously, two games in a row the gay romance character I played ended up doing a blaze of glory/disappearing act).  Also agree that Mass Effect handled it well for its time.  Looking forward to the remaster and what they'll do with it.  A next gen release for Mass Effect Remastered would be cool, even worth paying for again, if they do it right.

Greedfall has the options as well apparently, though I'm not far enough in there to see them all out... but that ship captain is a real stud. lol

Coming Out on Top is a gay adventure game.  But that's a great deal less romance and more... um.. adventure.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh, those days with the Sims. My two hot "roommates" getting down to some good old fashioned woohoo in their fashionable houses with the very gay decor.

I had straight housemates and a couple of awkward moments of "uh, I don't know why they're doing that...

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Myr said:

Dragon Age, also from Bioware, had a number of gay romance options, like you mentioned.  Though they also liked their surprises on that in both Dragon Age 2 and Dragon Age 3 (inquisition). (seriously, two games in a row the gay romance character I played ended up doing a blaze of glory/disappearing act).  Also agree that Mass Effect handled it well for its time.  Looking forward to the remaster and what they'll do with it.  A next gen release for Mass Effect Remastered would be cool, even worth paying for again, if they do it right.

Greedfall has the options as well apparently, though I'm not far enough in there to see them all out... but that ship captain is a real stud. lol

Coming Out on Top is a gay adventure game.  But that's a great deal less romance and more... um.. adventure.

I also loved Dorian from Dragon Age Inquisition. I flirted with him every chance I could and chose him to be in my party almost all the time haha! I played the beginning of Greedfall, and I really liked the gameplay so far. I actually want to romance Kurt, but unfortunately you can only romance him if you play a female character. Though Vasco isn't bad on the eyes either. And Coming Out on Top is great in terms of a visual novel. I mostly experienced it by watching Youtubers play the game which has a censored and uncensored version as well as an option to use protection or not 😆

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/5/2020 at 12:35 PM, Gene Splicer PHD said:

Oh, those days with the Sims. My two hot "roommates" getting down to some good old fashioned woohoo in their fashionable houses with the very gay decor.

I had straight housemates and a couple of awkward moments of "uh, I don't know why they're doing that...

I remembered the moment when I was playing The Sims 2 and found out that I could have two male characters woohoo together and even marry. That was one of the best moments of my gaming experience which happened during middle school. I'm so happy the Sims series has become even more inclusive following the third and fourth installment. I also sometimes like to spice it up by having one of the Sims be an alien or robot and have them woohoo together haha!

Edited by Superpride
  • Like 2

I always wanted to romance the guards in Fable 1 and 2, especially the chiefs. None of the other NPCs caught my personal eye, but dang, I really wanted one of those big buff guards in my character's bed! They never gave them a romance meter in game, and that's just a darn shame.

• Like 1

Baldur's Gate 3 has straight and gay romance options. Upon character creation you pick your "perfect" love interest (you actually create them). If you're male and you create a guy, then the game tilts toward gay romances. It's still in Early Access, but damn ... it's a great game if you like strategy and if you wanna have mad crazy sex with vampire spawn, a confused wizard, and whatever else happens across your path.

• Like 2

It seems to me that the implementation of such functions in the fallout, as well as Assassin's Creed Odyssey, serves only to ensure that the developers protect themselves from various accusations. From the series of mass effect games, I played only in andromeda, but as far as I remember, it was impossible to start an affair there (In general, not only with a man). After your comment, I really wanted to go through the earlier mass effect series. Could you tell me which part you played? I rarely play games, but I think it's a great place to start. I used to get the "gay dose" from the film industry. Various films, TV series and even anime. There are some jobs that can make even the most brutal man cry. In general, if you want a hardcore gay game, then I can advise you one ... Excellent graphics, an unpredictable plot, the level of passing is very difficult, you can also choose absolutely any guy you like, but for this you first have to achieve him ... This game is called real life :). You can even marry him if you use services like this https://daenemarkheiraten.de/en/lgbt-wedding-in-denmark/. But I will remind you again that the difficulty level of this game is "ULTRA-MEGA-SUPER-HARDCORE". Good luck.

Edited by Wencic