Supermoon

Zombie

Look out for the Moon this weekend when it rises above the horizon on 22/23 June.

It will appear unusually large for two reasons - it's proximity to landmarks / features near the horizon increases its apparent size due to an optical illusion but it will also in fact be bigger than a normal full moon because it will be at perigee, the closest it comes to the Earth in its orbit, and it will also be the moon’s closest encounter with Earth during 2013. These things happening together mean the Moon should be well worth looking at. Unless you're clouded in - which it will be in the UK, guaranteed :(

Here's what the 2012 supermoon looked like from Rio

375055-supermoon.jpg

*OK, OK - it was taken with a long lens :P*

http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/19/next-supermoon-to-appear-on-june-23/

• Like 1

I will be checking it out! I love watching the moon. B)   Best thing about living in the country is sleeping with the curtain open and blinds drawn.  Sex in the full moonlight :thumbup:

• Like 1

The supermoon of 2011 was followed shortly by the Japanese tsunami and quakes. The supermoon of 2004 occurred just before the Christmas Tsunami.

The great earthquake that struck Hati in 2010 and Christchurch, NZ in 2011 also coincided with supermoons.

So...  I wonder what the supermoon of 2013 will bring.

http://www.livescience.com/33106-will-supermoon-cause-earthquake-storm-natural-disasters.html

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/supermoon-and-earthquakes-is-t/46883

Edited by jamessavik

The supermoon of 2011 was followed shortly by the Japanese tsunami and quakes. The supermoon of 2004 occurred just before the Christmas Tsunami.

B) .........................Silly,  the super moon will bring SCOTUS to decide tha DOMA is wrong and Prop 8 is wrong. :P

...it's supposed to rain heavily here for the next three days. D:

I heard that there's a huge flood coming in Calgary, actually. Coincidence?? I THINK––well, actually, probably, yeah.

I heard that there's a huge flood coming in Calgary, actually. Coincidence?? I THINK––well, actually, probably, yeah.

We've had five days of sunshine here.  It's unprecedented.  It's supposed to rain all the damn time,

I don't think so - the moon has a wicked effect on tides and currents, even in lakes and rivers.  

We already had our flood here, without supermoon, only superrain.

I just checked, we have a real possibility to see it, so I'm with KC and simply enjoy it. And it is there, even hidden by clouds, I'm just saying. :P

Oh, that would be sooooo amazing to see during my birthday weekend but, alas, clouds and rain are expected. :( I guess there's no surprise in that since it's the Pacific NW.  Here's to hoping the forecasters are wrong.

It will be interesting to see if any natural disasters happen (hopefully none).

Just found this:

"The next super moon will not come again until August 2014. NASA expects the supermoon in 2016 to be the biggest and brightest."

Something to look forward to for those of us who might not be able to see it.

Edited by rockyroads

The great earthquake that struck Hati in 2010 and Christchurch, NZ in 2011 also coincided with supermoons.

Yes, the pull of the moon not only affects the tides, but as James pointed out, it can have other dubious effects as well. 

Yes, the pull of the moon not only affects the tides, but as James pointed out, it can have other dubious effects as well. 

We wouldn't want to be without the Moon, Bill, it's our friend - stabilizes the Earth's axis tilt, deflects asteroids, provides free tidal power ... and gives us something nice to look at :P

• Like 1

Like everything else in the world - can have beneficial effects, but more isn't always better and too much of even a good thing can be detrimental.

I will be checking it out! I love watching the moon. B)   Best thing about living in the country is sleeping with the curtain open and blinds drawn.  Sex in the full moonlight :thumbup:

Yep, for our viewing pleasure.

fuck me that's cool.

all muzzles pointed skywards then. await the howling

Barton Springs Pool is having a full moon howl Sunday night. College boy crowd watching, topless women, and howling in the moonlight. I have a plastic flask around here somewhere. What more could you ask?

Barton Springs Pool is having a full moon howl Sunday night. College boy crowd watching, topless women, and howling in the moonlight. I have a plastic flask around here somewhere. What more could you ask?

Aww, now I got flashbacks to the school I went to this year... Twice, my best friend and I went up on a little hill and screamed in the middle of the night. Once this winter when I was having a rough night and he took care of me and encouraged me, and then again a couple of days before school let out, to celebrate the year we'd had. I miss him.