Brits Fail to Fill Out Map Of the United States

methodwriter85

In honor of Thanksgiving, someone asked a bunch of Brits to fill in a map of the United States. The results were, um, mixed.

Brits Fail to Fill out Map of the United States

Some of my favorites were:

-1 of these 10 states are New York

- Florida aka Disneyland

- Stephen King Land (aka Maine)

- California (Florida)

Oh, god, could you picture a Californian being mistaken for a Floridan? Those states apparently hate each other.

To be fair, I'm sure there are a lot of people in the US that would also be unable to fill in the map accurately.

Well, you guys can test yourselves:

USA State Capitols

I scored a perfect 150 out of 150 points on this. The hardest were the Prairie states.

I love that the first one says, 'I'm so sorry', and the second one says 'oh dear'! That's the most British thing ever! :P 

I think I'd do a little bit better. I mean, I'm good for the west coast, most of the east coast and the south, but there's a lot of the stuff in the middle where I am totally lost.

I second Aditus's suggestion. Now you guys fill out a map of Europe. When I was in school, I had to do that without any borders drawn in. :P

• Like 1

I second Aditus's suggestion. Now you guys fill out a map of Europe. When I was in school, I had to do that without any borders drawn in. :P

I could fill in less than a dozen countries, identify some regions that are no longer their own countries, and tell you about the edged weaponry used there centuries ago. Dave could ace it, and tell you roughly when the current borders were established.

I'm impressed that the Brits did as well as they did, and doubt that half the US citizens could do as well.

• Like 1

I read the comments. I regret doing so.

Some random British girl trying to compare States to UK counties. Why is it so difficult for foreigners to understand how our government functions?

Perhaps Rizan, she's trying to make the point that if we asked an American to identify all 86 counties within the United Kingdom and where they are placed, they might struggle too? And i dont think its a case of not understanding how your government works, i think its a case of taking it at a literal geographical level.

Tbh i resent your comment that 'foreigners' dont understand how your government fuctions. Lets tar everyone whos not from the USA with the same brush, why dont we? 

ETA - I can name the majority of american states and their rough locations, but i would struggle with that map haha. 

• Like 2

Perhaps Rizan, she's trying to make the point that if we asked an American to identify all 86 counties within the United Kingdom and where they are placed, they might struggle too? And i dont think its a case of not understanding how your government works, i think its a case of taking it at a literal geographical level.

Tbh i resent your comment that 'foreigners' dont understand how your government fuctions. Lets tar everyone whos not from the USA with the same brush, why dont we? 

ETA - I can name the majority of american states and their rough locations, but i would struggle with that map haha.

Asking an American to identify the counties of the UK is different because a county is not a state. Asking an American to identify all of the countries of the EU would be suitable. If you want to identify counties, America has 3,007 counties and 137 parishes. Good luck.

Edited by Rizan

Asking an American to identify the counties of the UK is different because a county is not a state. Asking an American to identify all of the countries of the EU would be suitable. If you want to identify counties, America has 3,007 counties and 137 parishes. Good luck.

just out of curiosity, can you name every single county and parish within the USA?

my (perhaps mistaken) understanding of this thread is that it focused solely on geography, rather than the attached politics of how your government works. Through this perspective, naming all of the counties in the UK would be a perfectly accurate comparison, as they are sections of a country or nation, divided up and with their own councils, parishes, areas, etc.  

Edited by Never Surrender
  • Like 1

So, I read the comment you referred to, and she actually said all the counties in England, which is NOT the same as all the counties in the UK. Another person then said that asking Americans to name all the countries that make up the UK would be closer, but that most Americans would probably fail at that too. Someone then goes ahead and demonstrates this by saying, 'England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales'. And I'm thinking, 'Wow, you done goofed, matey... Do you also think the Queen is still the Empress of India?' :P

Okay, so a county is not a state. Name all the states in America, then. No, I don't mean the United States of, I mean the continent. Let's make it a little more specific. All the states, provinces and territories in North America: Go! Mexico has 31 states. Can you name even one?

• Site Administrator

First off, let's tone down the US vs the rest of the world posts. On both sides please :)

I agree with AJ, what is relevant to you may not be to anyone else, so to say that someone is ignorant of something is a little far fetched. Geography especially.

Now in the theme of Geography, here is my little bit of Canada, we have 10 provinces and 3 territories, so there is only 12 compared to 50 + 2 in the states or correct me if I'm wrong, 4 countries of the UK (not sure of how many territories the UK still has). So what are the provincial capitals of Canada and have you even heard of them? I even threw in the Capital of Canada as well.

1. Canada                                                     A. St. John's

2. British Columbia                                       B. Regina (Yes, sounds like Vagina, not the Ree'geena that a lot of people want to pronounce)

3. Alberta                                                      C. Quebec City (If this isn't a given, then there is no hope :) )

4. Saskatchewan                                          D. Victoria

5. Manitoba                                                   E. Ottawa

6. Ontario                                                      F. Edmonton

7. Quebec                                                     G. Charlottetown

8. New Brunswick                                         H. Whitehorse

9. Nova Scotia                                               I. Fredericton

10. Prince Edward Island                              J. Iqaluit

11. Newfoundland                                         K. Toronto

12. Yukon Territory                                        L. Yellowknife

13. Northwest Territories                               M. Winnipeg

14. Nunavut Territory                                     N. Halifax

So how did you do? :P

Interesting, Canada being the 2 largest land mass with it's 13 divisions I'm sure pales in comparison to the largest Country, Russia. Can anyone tell me (as I don't have a clue) how many States/Provinces/etc. that Russia has? I don't even know what they call their divisions in Russia :(

Also, why not add your country specific quiz for your country, all we can do is learn from it!

• Like 1

I could probably identify most of the tribal areas of pre-Roman Britain if anyone needs it, I sure don't...

Not sure where Idaho is exactly but I could take a stab

What's a "Europe"?

FYI I'm in Michigan, nobody knew where that was anyway

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD

Do Brits know all the states in their own union, they have a small horde... certianaly more than the U.S. does, and i am not talking about Kingdoms...

They used to have a lot less, at one point there was a Cornwall and a York, and an Essex there isn't really now... Cornwall is now at least 2 different states, and York is like six and essex at least 2.

I could have sworn i responded to this forum once but it's not here -_-

And yes if you were to ask me what continent a country is in i could tell you actually... but i have a strong interest in Geography.

Really the idea of not knowing or knowing the states in your country or another persons has to do with the arrogance of a national identity. it's really not that important unless the state is trying to suceed from the country... :P

I could probably identify most of the tribal areas of pre-Roman Britain if anyone needs it

Not sure where Idaho is exactly but I could take a stab

What's a "Europe"?

I couldn't identify Tribal groups/area in Pre-Roman Britian... I know intimately where Idaho is, especially since i used to live there :P

I may add if you were to give me a map of Europe or the U.S. I probably could fill it out completely and :evil: even make comments on them :P

Edited by Celethiel