Brits Fail to Fill Out Map Of the United States

methodwriter85

First off, let's tone down the US vs the rest of the world posts. On both sides please :)

I agree with AJ, what is relevant to you may not be to anyone else, so to say that someone is ignorant of something is a little far fetched. Geography especially.

Now in the theme of Geography, here is my little bit of Canada, we have 10 provinces and 3 territories, so there is only 12 compared to 50 + 2 in the states or correct me if I'm wrong, 4 countries of the UK (not sure of how many territories the UK still has). So what are the provincial capitals of Canada and have you even heard of them? I even threw in the Capital of Canada as well.

1. Canada                                                     A. St. John's

2. British Columbia                                       B. Regina (Yes, sounds like Vagina, not the Ree'geena that a lot of people want to pronounce)

3. Alberta                                                      C. Quebec City (If this isn't a given, then there is no hope :) )

4. Saskatchewan                                          D. Victoria

5. Manitoba                                                   E. Ottawa

6. Ontario                                                      F. Edmonton

7. Quebec                                                     G. Charlottetown

8. New Brunswick                                         H. Whitehorse

9. Nova Scotia                                               I. Fredericton

10. Prince Edward Island                              J. Iqaluit

11. Newfoundland                                         K. Toronto

12. Yukon Territory                                        L. Yellowknife

13. Northwest Territories                               M. Winnipeg

14. Nunavut Territory                                     N. Halifax

So how did you do? :P

Interesting, Canada being the 2 largest land mass with it's 13 divisions I'm sure pales in comparison to the largest Country, Russia. Can anyone tell me (as I don't have a clue) how many States/Provinces/etc. that Russia has? I don't even know what they call their divisions in Russia :(

Also, why not add your country specific quiz for your country, all we can do is learn from it!

Magpie and I came up with the following between us:

Ottawa — Canada

Winnipeg — Manitoba

Edmonton — Alberta

Quebec City — Quebec

Toronto — Ontario

Halifax — Nova Scotia

Yellowknife — Northwest Territory

Iqaluit — Nunavut Territory

Fredericton — New Brunswick

Russia has 83 subdivisions or federal subjects.

I'd love to make something for Norway, but I doubt anyone would be able to answer it if I did. :P

Edited by Thorn Wilde

Ottawa — Canada

Winnipeg — Manitoba

Edmonton — Alberta

Quebec City — Quebec

Toronto — Ontario

Halifax — Nova Scotia

Yellowknife — Northwest Territory

Iqaluit — Nunavut Territory

Fredericton — New Brunswick

I'll add on to that with:

Charlottetown - Prince Edward Island (Thank you Anne of Green Gables)

Victoria - British Columbia

Regina - Saskatchewan

St. John- Newfoundland

Whitehorse- Yukon Territory

I've got to admit, I've always wanted to travel to Prince Edward Island and spend a weekend at a farmhouse like the one in Road to Avonlea:

Edited by methodwriter85

just out of curiosity, can you name every single county and parish within the USA?

I can name every one in my sovereign state. :P

my (perhaps mistaken) understanding of this thread is that it focused solely on geography, rather than the attached politics of how your government works. Through this perspective, naming all of the counties in the UK would be a perfectly accurate comparison, as they are sections of a country or nation, divided up and with their own councils, parishes, areas, etc.

Human geography is inherently political in nature and has everything to do with the government of the nation. The geographical and political equivalent of a state in the UK is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Me, too- New Castle, Kent, and Sussex. Yes. There are only 3 counties in my state.

Interestingly, those are all cities/counties in England as well... :P

I can name all the counties in Norway, and place them on a map. At least I think I can... It's been a while since I learnt Norwegian geography, but I've got a pretty decent clue, anyway. :P

Interestingly, those are all cities/counties in England as well... :P

I can name all the counties in Norway, and place them on a map. At least I think I can... It's been a while since I learnt Norwegian geography, but I've got a pretty decent clue, anyway. :P

thats where they got their name from...

• Site Administrator

Here is a link to a timed interactive map of Europe.   I only got 22 of 45 right in the five minutes allotted.   I don't know all those tiny southern European countries very well.

http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/map-quiz-europe.php

I got 18 of 45. Screwed up the Scandinavian countries, Baltic's and Eastern Europe royally :P

• Like 1

Human geography is inherently political in nature and has everything to do with the government of the nation. The geographical and political equivalent of a state in the UK is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

Well, no, that's not entirely accurate. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not states, they are countries. They each have their own government and parliament (Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales and Northern Ireland Assembly). The UK is not really one nation; it is four nations united under the same crown. This cannot be said for the United States, which tends to define itself as one nation made up of several states.

The United Kingdom is a unitary state, while the United States is a federal state. As such, they are difficult to compare at all. The administrative geography of the United Kingdom is complex, multi-layered and non-uniform. Nor is it in any way correct to compare the United States to the European Union, which is just a trade union where the central administrative body has very little power at all. A fair comparison would rather be Germany, or Russia, which are both federal states. Germany has 16 states. Russia, as previously pointed out, has 83. Feel free to name any of these off the top of your head. ;)

• Like 1

Here's how hilariously bad I am at US geography, btw:

ScreenShot2013-11-28at042740_zps21e2fa23

I got all the green ones and the blue one right. The yellow ones are the ones I didn't have time for... I would at the very least have gotten Alaska and Maine right if I hadn't run out of time. I might have been able to get some others as well if it hadn't been timed, as in the end I was clicking wildly whenever I got something I didn't immediately recognise in hopes that I would have time for the ones I do.

I got 35 correct on the Europe one, which was pretty much what I expected. :P I get confused on all the teensy ones, and some of the Eastern European ones, but most annoyingly I accidentally clicked Hungary when it was Slovakia and Lithuania when it was Latvia, and I really know all those apart so that was dumb. :P

• Site Administrator

Well, no, that's not entirely accurate. England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are not states, they are countries. They each have their own government and parliament (Scottish Parliament, National Assembly for Wales and Northern Ireland Assembly). The UK is not really one nation; it is four nations united under the same crown. This cannot be said for the United States, which tends to define itself as one nation made up of several states.

The United Kingdom is a unitary state, while the United States is a federal state. As such, they are difficult to compare at all. The administrative geography of the United Kingdom is complex, multi-layered and non-uniform. Nor is it in any way correct to compare the United States to the European Union, which is just a trade union where the central administrative body has very little power at all. A fair comparison would rather be Germany, or Russia, which are both federal states. Germany has 16 states. Russia, as previously pointed out, has 83. Feel free to name any of these off the top of your head. ;)

Westfalia is one in Germany. I only know that because I was born there :P

• Like 1

Westfalia is one in Germany. I only know that because I was born there :P

It's North-Rhine-Westphalia now and I was born there too, albeit in the North-Rhine part. :)

Now now, let's make this interesting.  Let's name all 22 provinces, 4 municipalities, 5 autonomous regions, 2 Special Administrative Regions, and the ultra special ROC (also known as Taiwan) of China.   :D

Edited by Myiege

I can name one province - Hebei Province. I know it cos there's a beautiful and amazing single-span road bridge there built around 600 AD, still in daily use :)

3313423566_b38904869d_o.jpg

Edited by Zombie

• Site Administrator

Any discussion of politics even though it is about geography will not be allowed in the Lounge. Doing so will be dealt with by the Forum Moderation Team.

Let's all just have fun with this :)

• Like 1

Any discussion of politics even though it is about geography will not be allowed in the Lounge. Doing so will be dealt with by the Forum Moderation Team.

Let's all just have fun with this :)

Fine, I won't name the Chinese provinces or muni's as certain things are too "political" :P

I remember our elementary school teachers throwing out old maps in 1997 after we finally got funding for new maps. There were so many "SR's" on those maps, I wonder how many kids had to learn with those old maps of Europe. Does anyone remember Yugoslavia ever existed anymore? (My teacher gave me one of those and told me it'd be fun to look at when I get older, :D )

Anyone else remember those old maps? If you do, it is not an issue of education, but educational reaction time.