The way I was taught to balance the egg is actually not dependent on the equinox letting them balance. The one showed me put down a little pile of salt - settled the egg into it till it stood, then used a soda straw to gently blow most of the salt away, leaving the little bit unseen keeping the egg upright.

The way I was taught to balance the egg is actually not dependent on the equinox letting them balance. The one showed me put down a little pile of salt - settled the egg into it till it stood, then used a soda straw to gently blow most of the salt away, leaving the little bit unseen keeping the egg upright.

I remember doing this when I was younger. It was hilarious!

I say you just dent the bottoms a little. :P

That is cheating...totally unnecessary on the vernal equinox.

I don´t know the egg trick but I do love spring, I love days getting longer and lighter and warmer, I love green grass and leaves and I love all the flowers. I don´t even mind the flies and mosquitoes. I just want more sunshine and no more snow!  

Uhhh...I hate to throw a wet blanket on this...

Well, actually, I don't. :P

I do hope everybody here realizes the thing about the equinox and eggs is a myth, right? There's a multitude of sites on the Internet debunking said myth, but here's the one at Snopes, which also includes a nice video of an egg being balanced at some ordinary not-equinox date.

Edited by Adam Phillips
  • Like 1

...includes a nice video of an egg being balanced at some ordinary not-equinox date.

It's not impossible to balance an egg on other dates; it's just easier to do so on the vernal equinox.

There's a problem with myth busting.  Disproving one minor point doesn't disprove everything.

It's not impossible to balance an egg on other dates; it's just easier to do so on the vernal equinox.

There's a problem with myth busting.  Disproving one minor point doesn't disprove everything.

Yes. But more than one minor point has been disproved. And beyond that, the reasoning that informs this myth has been thoroughly discredited. If you'd like, I can review in digest form the specific "disproofs" and the "discredited reasoning."

In the same mode--the need for specificity when a person makes assertions--I'd ask you, what's the "minor point" that you consider to have been disproved in Snopes (or somewhere else)? Is it the contention that only at the equinox can you balance an egg?

Or for that matter, what's the "everything" that you believe not to have been disproved? Is it that egg-balancing is more successful at the vernal equinox than at other times? That, too, has been refuted. Would you like the references?

This little issue reminds me, in microcosm, of the whole creationist-evolution brouhaha. :) But you started this thread, so I'll just quietly withdraw now. I don't wanna offend anybody's sensibilities. I just thought...

Meh. Never mind. My bad.

Edited by Adam Phillips

Gee!  You are really serious.  All I did was stand some eggs on end, take a picture, and post it here.

Enjoy the season.

Yeah, I've never been accused of being over-serious before. :*)

Sorry about that, and I'm definitely enjoying the season! Although in North Texas, we don't have much of a spring. We just have mostly annoyingly cold (though not by, say, Buffalo standards) and intolerably hot.

• Like 1