Media devices  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Keep this

2. 2. Ditch this

• Smartphone
  • Tablet
  • PC/Mac
  • TV+radio

Two of these will be taken away from you forever. New devices are always coming through so "forever" shouldn't be too much hardship long term :P But for now you get to choose:

- one to keep

- one to dump

:)

Edited by Zombie

I don't care about tablets at all, as I haven't got one. I only just got a smartphone, so I know I can do without that as well. And at this point my TV could be replaced with a large display hooked up to the PS3. But I need my computers. Computers are awesome and useful, they can do everything the other devices can and more. 

We already discussed what a writer can or cannot do with a tablet, so of course I keep the PC. I would really miss my smartphone, but oh well we have to make sacrifices, I can still use a map without getting lost.

• Like 1

I am thinking the smartphone will eventually replace the tablet as tech advances.

While TV and Radio seem already obsolete, I have yet to see a replacement for the car radio, so radio has to stay, if for no other reason to get the local traffic reports that explain why I am sitting still on a major highway.

The PC will never be replaced unless they can upgrade things to the point of writing code on smaller devices.(Not that I actually understand what "writing code" actually involves, but I don't see it happening on a smartphone in the foreseeable future.)

• Like 1

keep smartphone and PC

never had a tablet so dont know what its like to live with one, let alone without one :P and since im too cheap to buy a TV license at uni, i live without tv for most of the year anyway. with changes like channels such as BBC3 being online only, and things like netflix, i dont need a TV anyway :)

since im too cheap to buy a TV license at uni, i live without tv for most of the year anyway. with changes like channels such as BBC3 being online only, and things like netflix, i dont need a TV anyway :)

Just to confirm, in the UK anyone can watch pretty much everything without a TV licence provided they never watch "live" TV on their device - just wait the 20 minutes or so for it to appear in iPlayer or catch-up players for the other channels.  In reality this means the only stuff you can't watch is the news and some movies. And when BBC3 goes online-only you'll be able to watch it streaming "live" :)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/tv-licence

• Like 2

• Site Administrator

I don't know what I'd do without my PC :/  I have an extremely dumb phone and have no use for a smart phone.  I'll go over a week at a time without even looking at my phone.  I'm finding myself watching less and less TV. 

No USE for a SMARTPHONE??? :o I was initially very resistant, but now I know it's the greatest toy ever made!  I can text my husband for the grocery list, harass a friend in Berlin via facebook, check my email, confirm it's Jupiter that's so bright in the sky, check that I'm driving in the right direction, play "Let It Go" for my kid on the car radio (for the umpteenth time), time our next visit to the tide pools for low tide, get the mileage for my cycle ride, prove to a fellow birder that we're looking at a blue-winged teal, and read all my Kindle books!  When I get the right attachment, I'm going to use it to take pics down the birding scope! And that's before I talk about video games and taking pics of sunsets! 

Also it lets coworkers reach me, which is why I have it  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Okay, I still don't know what a tablet is, it sounds like a medicine -_- I'm very fond of my iPad :) And I don't own a radio listen to music on my iPad  :funny:

Edited by slytherin

Okay, I still don't know what a tablet is, it sounds like a medicine -_- I'm very fond of my iPad :) And I don't own a radio listen to music on my iPad  :funny:

Lol! Sounds like medicine indeed. :P Your iPad is a tablet. As is, say, the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Kindle Fire.

• Like 1

No USE for a SMARTPHONE??? :o ... When I get the right attachment, I'm going to use it to take pics down the birding scope! And that's before I talk about video games and taking pics of sunsets!

...and astronomy. With an attachment to an ordinary amateur 'scope you can get impressive pics

tychoclaviusiphone.jpg

jupiterstackedtext.jpg

orioniphoneandrewsymes.jpg

http://canadianastronomy.wordpress.com/2013/03/04/smartphone-astrophotography-how-to-photograph-the-moon-planets-with-your-phone/

• Like 2

:o Nobody wants to keep their TV/Radio? Lol

TV/Radio is easiest for me to ditch too. I use the other three more often. The tablet is more for reading though. But choosing between smartphone and PC is so hard. Without my PC, well, home will be so boring and it has all my works on it but going without my phone is just weird. In the end, I chose smartphone because I'll just use the mac at work then. ;)

Cheers

Ieshwar

• Like 2

Tablets can die a death, and i could live easily without a TV. I like the idea of radio, i would miss it.

Come near my laptop and I will stab you in the neck with a fork.

• Like 4

:o Nobody wants to keep their TV/Radio? Lol

OK my "keeper" is radio - because it's portable, batteries last months and I listen all the time, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, in the car... everywhere :) but that's 'cos in UK we're very lucky to have 4 national networks with no commercials, just content, and the main one, Radio 4, is every kind of "talk radio": news, docs, comedy, drama, science, arts. I'd only give it up if you were gonna take away my plumbing :P Radios are old technology - since 1922 in Britain - and I can still use my granddad's old 1930s set, which is pretty cool ;)

• Like 2

OK my "keeper" is radio - because it's portable, batteries last months and I listen all the time, in the bathroom, in the kitchen, in the car... everywhere :) but that's 'cos in UK we're very lucky to have 4 national networks with no commercials, just content, and the main one, Radio 4, is every kind of "talk radio": news, docs, comedy, drama, science, arts. I'd only give it up if you were gonna take away my plumbing :P Radios are old technology - since 1922 in Britain - and I can still use my granddad's old 1930s set, which is pretty cool ;)

But that's the beauty...you can slap one together from a kit if you really need it.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

Radios are old technology - since 1922 in Britain - and I can still use my granddad's old 1930s set, which is pretty cool ;)

Sadly you couldn't do that here... They're changing the entire radio broadcasting system to digital soon, and all radios will need new receivers and software to decrypt the signals. 

• Site Administrator

No USE for a SMARTPHONE??? 

Nope :)  I suppose I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to certain technology.  I don't even text. :P I'll go for days or even a week without even checking my cell phone.  I still have a land line and primarily use that.  MapQuest has always served me well for directions (although I am considering buying a GPS). 

• Like 1

I don't know what I'd do without my PC :/  I have an extremely dumb phone and have no use for a smart phone.  I'll go over a week at a time without even looking at my phone.  I'm finding myself watching less and less TV. 

I bet my phone's dumber than yours. It's a prepaid flip phone, 7 years old. I spend less than $5/month on it, and I don't walk around staring down at my device all day. I've gotten on it less than a dozen times since Xmas.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I bet my phone's dumber than yours. It's a prepaid flip phone, 7 years old. I spend less than $5/month on it, and I don't walk around staring down at my device all day. I've gotten on it less than a dozen times since Xmas.

You've got me beat on that one. ;)  Mine's 4 years old and came free with the family plan that I share with my mom.  I only got it because I lost the charger to my old phone.  It was so old they didn't have a replacement charger for it.  I don't text and rarely use it.  I use it pretty much when I travel.  I probably ought to switch to a pre-paid.  It'd be cheaper than what I pay my mom per month for a phone that sits in my purse until the I hear the 'low battery' signal.  lol 

I couldn't live without my smartphone. Too much of my life is incorporated into that. 

I could easily dump TV/radio. All my show watching is done through Netflix, Hulu and other sites so cable isn't even necessary. The only time I ever listen to the radio is on short car drives. When I drive long distance I just plug in my iPhone and listen to my own music. :P

• Like 1

I need my smartphone and laptop, both basically for the same reason, internet, reading, Facebook, keeping in touch with everything and everyone.  

I have a very old TV I hardly ever watch, when it stops working I probably won´t buy a new one.

I like it all but the tablet, the smartphone and computer because they let me on this site, and the TV and radio because I need some variety in my life, and they do that for me. :)