I can't wait to get back to reading Dave's story. It is sooooooo good!!!  I only got to Chapter 8 before having to put all of my reading on hold ((damn real life encroaching on my fiction time :P )) 

Abel is on the top of my reading list once life settles down :D

• Like 1

And it is another great chapter in a very intriguing story...

I agree with you, Gary. Dave has been writing a hell of a good story for his readers--should be more of them. Bang away at those keys, Dave, it's amazing out there among the stars!

• Like 4

I appreciate your unique writing style, which takes a 'taboo' subject and reminds us in a sensual way, that sex and love are still related...and a bit of kinky mixed in, always enriches and enhances anything boring!! Yes, incest is a volatile subject, but so is anything a certain majority of the population may deem 'wrong' or'ungodly'...who cares...for, anything different or not their 'normal' is going to be wrong until others stand up and tell them to get over it and go to Craig's list and find themselves some business of their own to tend to!! After all, I can remember when being black was unacceptable and inhuman, being a woman was second class citizen status, being gay was a 'crime against God' and being ugly was a certain curse!! Slowly, painstakingly, we will continue to evolve...and one day common sense might prevail and it won't matter who opens the door...when real love knocks!!! Hugs n love to and for this community of talented writers and enthusiastic readers. 

Please continue to give us a glimpse into your wonderful world of fantasy of love, sex, with a nice side order of kinky...IT WORKS!!  :P

• Like 1

I appreciate your unique writing style, which takes a 'taboo' subject and reminds us in a sensual way, that sex and love are still related...and a bit of kinky mixed in, always enriches and enhances anything boring!! Yes, incest is a volatile subject, but so is anything a certain majority of the population may deem 'wrong' or'ungodly'...who cares...for, anything different or not their 'normal' is going to be wrong until others stand up and tell them to get over it and go to Craig's list and find themselves some business of their own to tend to!! After all, I can remember when being black was unacceptable and inhuman, being a woman was second class citizen status, being gay was a 'crime against God' and being ugly was a certain curse!! Slowly, painstakingly, we will continue to evolve...and one day common sense might prevail and it won't matter who opens the door...when real love knocks!!! Hugs n love to and for this community of talented writers and enthusiastic readers. 

Please continue to give us a glimpse into your wonderful world of fantasy of love, sex, with a nice side order of kinky...IT WORKS!!  :P

Thanks for the very nice compliment!  And thanks for posting as well!

• Like 1

Since it is a serial and many people read it in bits and pieces because of time or other considerations,

I was asked about a cast of characters listing which I am providing:

Abel III Cast of Characters

in order of appearance

Abel Silversmith III date of birth May 11, 2710

Abel Silversmith Jr. date of birth April 9, 2674

Abel Silversmith Sr. date of birth September 19, 2640

Drew Parker date of birth January 16, 2641

Kade Silversmith date of birth June 24, 2674

Margo Silversmith-Brown date of birth July 7, 2677

Kevin Brown M.D. date of birth August 12, 2675

Steve Brown date of birth December 3, 2712

William Brown date of birth March 8, 2715

George Heigel chief engineer date of birth November 16, 2668

Lucas Smith cook date of birth July 2, 2677

Richard Nakamuro accountant date of birth October 15, 2694

Mark Spencer chief accountant date of birth February 8, 2678

Jason Kendall accountant date of birth January 22, 2689

Daniel Holt M.D. Medical officer date of birth July 29, 2682

Silverspin major overhaul done during 2699 it took about the whole year.

Aaron Silversmith III year of birth 2588 died in 2709

Angus Silversmith year of birth 2299 died 2448

Amos Silversmith year of birth 2333 died 2455

Joseph Dunsworth, attorney date of birth September 17, 2672

husband of Mary Brown Dunsworth

Jake & Josh Hall twins date of birth February 9, 2700 members of an outed family

Elizabeth Klein date of birth 2679, December 19 a level 1 telepath

Dennis Klein date of birth March 29, 2710 a high level 3 telepath

Charles “Chuck” Klein date of birth 2679, September 9, a level 2 telepathic

Travis Klein date of birth June 27, 2700 a low level 3 telepath

Peter Bowman Naval Intelligence Officer from Starview

Edited by Daddydavek

If you have told us in the story perhaps it got lost in this mess I call a memory, but what year is the story taking place?    The relative ages of the main characters would be a good thing to keep in mind as the story progresses.

If you have told us in the story perhaps it got lost in this mess I call a memory, but what year is the story taking place?    The relative ages of the main characters would be a good thing to keep in mind as the story progresses.

Abel III was born in May 2710 and this story is set in his twenty-third year so we are dealing with 2733 into 2734....DDK

The latest chapter of Abel III's Awakening was posted late last night.

It is available here:   Chapter 22 More Than Observing 

For reference sake, it takes place in late February of the year 2734.  Each chapter is based on Abel III's personal logs.   I thought the date reference in each chapter was a bit distracting so I moved away from showing them after the stop at Magellan over the holidays.  

Chapter 22 was a difficult chapter to write and edit.   I decided to break it up into two chapters, but the second part,  now needs some serious revisions which i hope to finish in time to post it next Saturday night. 

Thanks DDK - Having the relative ages of the main characters helps the visualization.

If any one else is interested this makes   Able III and Dennis both 23

Able Jr and Kade both 60

Able Sr                           94

Drew                             93

Uncle Kevin                    59

Aunt Margo                     57

Steven                            22

William                            19

Here is to being that vibrant and active at Able Sr's age!

Edited by Kitt
  • Like 1

I just saw a great video that came out today explaining galactic super clusters and the most recent and best understanding of ours.

This was awe inspiring in a way. Pretty amazing stuff.

• Like 1

This was awe inspiring in a way. Pretty amazing stuff.

The universe is a much bigger place than most of us can imagine.  It's inspiring to see that some of the worlds best astronomers take the time to explain it a bit to the rest of us in ways that we can almost comprehend.  DDK

I forgot to say in my review that I liked the way Abel gently chastised his granddad and supported his dad during their efforts to improve Abel Jr's abilities.

And now I'm wondering what Dennis wants to talk about...

Plus Hal is becoming more like a person than a computer every day, he's a great A.I. the way you portray him. He'll probably have a good chance of communicating with a larger portion of the Guardian than any human can manage.

• Like 2

The latest chapter of Abel III's Awakening is up:

Chapter 23 A Red Letter Day 

From my research on space I have found a new appreciation for the size and majesty of it.  

I look forward to hearing your comments and opinion! 

The numbers involved make my head hurt - I will stick with the awe and majesty.

I loved the chapter

• Like 1

I forgot to say in my review that I liked the way Abel gently chastised his granddad and supported his dad during their efforts to improve Abel Jr's abilities.

And now I'm wondering what Dennis wants to talk about...

Plus Hal is becoming more like a person than a computer every day, he's a great A.I. the way you portray him. He'll probably have a good chance of communicating with a larger portion of the Guardian than any human can manage.

I'm pretty sure we will find out what Dennis wants to talk about in the next chapter.  Abel III loves both his dad and grandfather.   Hal has been a very smart AI that is getting smarter based on his input and core upgrade.  However, I suspect that Hal will never communicate directly with the Guardian to guard against being compromised.  

And I wanted to apologize for failing to thank you for reading and reviewing in the comment and review section following each chapter!

DDK

The numbers involved make my head hurt - I will stick with the awe and majesty.

I loved the chapter

The numbers involved are indeed more than most of us can comprehend.  The sites I provided do a fairly good job of putting them into some kind of perspective that most of us can begin to fathom conceptually.   Awe and majesty are my poor word symbols for immensity and complexity of it all.  

I want to thank you both for participating in this forum and I always welcome your thoughts and insights!

In this story I've explained the history indicating that mankind embraced the use of nanotechnology to assist with gene therapy to try to build themselves into super people with self-repairing organs and body parts and that this led to a nannite virus which caused the "Great Blight" where the human population was decimated.

The whole idea for this came from my own thoughts about the nature vs. nurture controversy.  Are human beings merely shaped by their genetic code and through nurturing and experience ultimately become who they are?   Or, are we the product of our genetic code and who and what we are is mostly predefined for us with only the rough edges rounded some by nurturing and experience?

In my youth and early thirties I was pretty much convinced it was a fifty-fifty proposition.  Over time my observation has changed and now I believe it is at best an eighty-twenty proposition, with eighty percent genetics.  

The following article I came across in USATODAY on recent research on schizophrenia lays out the case better than any argument I could make.

Here is the link:   http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/09/15/genetic-cause-schizophrenia/15535557/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatoday-newstopstories

Schizophrenia is eight different diseases, not one  

Szabo_Liz.png Liz Szabo, USA TODAY 1:06 p.m. EDT September 15, 2014
1410560015000-XXX-XXX-DNA.jpg

(Photo: PhotoDisc)

1277 CONNECT 348 TWEET 47 LINKEDIN 20 COMMENTEMAILMORE

New research shows that schizophrenia is not a single disease, but a group of eight distinct disorders, each caused by changes in clusters of genes that lead to different sets of symptoms.

The finding sets the stage for scientists to develop better ways to diagnose and treat schizophrenia, a mental illness that can be devastating when not adequately managed, says C. Robert Cloninger, co-author of the study published Monday in the American Journal of Psychiatry.

"We are really opening a new era of psychiatric diagnosis," says Cloninger, professor of psychiatry and genetics at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. Cloninger says he hopes his work will "allow for the development of a personalized diagnosis, opening the door to treating the cause, rather than just the symptoms, of schizophrenia."

Clonginger and colleagues found that certain genetic profiles matched particular symptoms. While people with one genetic cluster have odd and disorganized speech – what is sometimes called "word salad" – people with another genetic profile hear voices, according to the study, funded by the National Institutes of Health.

1410560521001-XXX-schizophrenia02.JPG

Dr. C. Robert Cloninger, Washington University School of Medicine, and colleagues found that certain genetic profiles matched particular symptoms of schizophrenia.(Photo: Robert Boston, Washington University)

Some genetic clusters gave people higher risks of the disease than others, according to the study, which compared the DNA of 4,200 people with schizophrenia to that of 3,800 healthy people.

One set of genetic changes, for example, confers a 95% chance of developing schizophrenia. In the new study, researchers describe a woman with this genetic profile who developed signs of the disorder by age 5, when she taped over the mouths of her dolls to make them stop whispering to her and calling her name. Another patient – whose genetic profile gave her a 71% risk of schizophrenia – experienced a more typical disease course and began hearing voices at age 17.

The average person has less than a 1% risk of developing schizophrenia, Cloninger says.

Psychiatrists such as Stephen Marder describe the the study as a step forward. Today, doctors diagnose patients with mental illness with a process akin to a survey, asking about the person's family history and symptoms, says Marder, a professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California-Los Angeles.

"It underlines that the way we diagnose schizophrenia is relatively primitive," Marder says.

Patients may wait years for an accurate diagnosis, and even longer to find treatments that help them without causing intolerable side effects.

Doctors have long known that schizophrenia can run in families, says Robert Freedman, editor in chief of the American Journal of Psychiatry and chair of psychiatry at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus. If one identical twin has schizophrenia, for example, there is an 80% chance that the other twin has the disease, as well.

In the past, doctors looked for single genes that might cause schizophrenia, without real success, Freedman says.

The new paper suggests that genes work together like a winning or losing combination of cards in poker, Freedman says. "This shows us that there are some very bad hands out there," Freedman says.

1410560521000-XXX-schizophrenia01.JPG

Doctors have known for years that breast cancer is not one disease, but at least half a dozen diseases driven by different genes, says study co-author Igor Zwir, research associate in psychiatry at Washington University.(Photo: Robert Boston, Washington University)

In some cases – in which a genetic profile conveys close to a 100% risk of schizophrenia – people may not be able to escape the disease, Cloninger says. But if doctors could predict who is at high risk, they might also be able to tailor an early intervention to help a patient better manage their condition, such as by managing stress.

Doctors don't yet know why one person with a 70% risk of schizophrenia develops the disease and others don't, Clonginger says. It's possible that environment plays a key role, so that child with a supportive family and good nutrition might escape the diagnosis, while someone who experiences great trauma or deprivation might become very ill.

The study also reflects how much has changed in the way that scientists think about the genetic causes of common diseases, Marder says. He notes that diseases caused by a single gene – such as sickle-cell anemia and cystic fibrosis – affect very few people. Most common diseases, such as cancer, are caused by combinations of genes. Even something as apparently simple as height is caused by combinations of genes, he says.

Doctors have known for years that breast cancer is not one disease, for example, but at least half a dozen diseases driven by different genes, says study co-author Igor Zwir, research associate in psychiatry at Washington University. Doctors today have tests to predict a woman's risk of some types of breast cancer, and other tests that help them select the most effective drugs.

Those sorts of tests could be extremely helpful for people with schizophrenia, who often try two or three drugs before finding one that's effective, Cloninger says.

"Most treatment today is trial and error," Cloninger says.

If doctors could pinpoint which drugs could be the most effective, they might be able to use lower doses, producing fewer of the bothersome side effects that lead many patients to stop taking their medication, Cloninger says.

Edited by Daddydavek

Never flick thru the forums - I just saw that Abel III dies :o  - how could a spoiler like that just be left out in the open?  :,(  :angry:  :pissed:

Never flick thru the forums and misread Aaron Silversmith III for Abel Silversmith III  :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never flick thru the forums - I just saw that Abel III dies :o  - how could a spoiler like that just be left out in the open?  :,(  :angry:  :pissed:

Never flick thru the forums and misread Aaron Silversmith III for Abel Silversmith III  :rolleyes:

that was just too funny, lol :rofl:

don't know why, it just was...

maybe because having three main characters called Abel is bound to cause confusion - yet so far Daddydavek has managed to avoid misunderstandings.

• Like 3