Ok, I don't know why it seems so difficult compared to a tanka! It's like those two extra lines last month have ruined my discipline completely. I've had to write one "personal" haiku  just to limber up.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

Ok, I don't know why it seems so difficult compared to a tanka! It's like those two extra lines last month have ruined my discipline completely. I've had to write one "personal" haiku  just to limber up.

Right, these are harder. I agree

• Like 2

Such an interesting post on Haiku, Al. I'm very impressed with your information. Thanks for the inspiration. Will get busy!

Thanks for your comment, and for your participation!!! 

Me.

Can't wait to check it out!

• Like 1

I didn't think I could get into these but reading these haiku's has really made me think. I really like these so far!

Here is mine. Spent the entire day learning what a haiku was, sad since I lived in Japan for several years and never heard of them. But all well, learn something new everyday.

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/rook-lee/prompt/2

• Like 4

Such an interesting post on Haiku, Al. I'm very impressed with your information. Thanks for the inspiration. Will get busy!

Thank you, Jaro! I am a poet first, and prose dabbler second ;)  

• Like 1

Was wondering what happened to the poetry prompts :) Well, back to the drawing/writing board. Thanks for an enlightening lesson on the Haiku!

Thanks Rano. We are shooting for a fresh poetry prompt to appear towards the beginning of every month. If you have any ideas, or a have a form of set verse that you have always wondered about, please feel free to shout it out.

And naturally, that goes for everyone! I love a challenge too. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Don't have a place elsewhere to post my attempts (yet,) but here goes:

1. In a secluded patch of nature

Butterflies flying –

Here, there and everywhere

On blossoms alight.

2. Urban Sight

Ice balls, topping cones,

Licking, slurping, tongue-twirling –

Small children delight.

I agree with Jaro. I love the 'ice balls' - that's the exact kind of summer image i hoped to see, one that is a couple steps beyond the usual, LOL. To my mind that speaks of summer just as well as anything else. But, i have to say that when i read it, i pictured snow-cones as opposed to ice cream. Either way, both poems are great.  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

I didn't think I could get into these but reading these haiku's has really made me think. I really like these so far!

Here is mine. Spent the entire day learning what a haiku was, sad since I lived in Japan for several years and never heard of them. But all well, learn something new everyday.

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/rook-lee/prompt/2

Rook Lee, i am really impressed with your hunting Haiku. I know there are lots of Tanka and other Japanese poems about hunting as a ritual of autumn, but i don't think i have ever seen one in English. It's a great idea. :)   

• Like 1

I agree with Jaro. I love the 'ice balls' - that's the exact kind of summer image i hoped to see, one that is a couple steps beyond the usual, LOL. To my mind that speaks of summer just as well as anything else. But, i have to say that when i read it, i pictured snow-cones as opposed to ice cream. Either way, both poems are great.  

Ta stax, Guys :) Again I must say that I don't regard myself as a poet at all, but you guys inspire me to participate, heh heh. BTW, Al, at first I've wanted to use cream instead of ice, but thought that "ice" would contrast better ;) And yes, if I have any "ideas," I'll share it with you. Thanks for the "open door" invite :)

• Like 3

Ha, yes. I pictured snow-cones too at first, maybe because I'm closer to winter than summer here.

Oh, and I'd like trying to write a sonett some time.

Edited by aditus
  • Like 2

Ha, yes. I pictured snow-cones too at first, maybe because I'm closer to winter than summer here.

Oh, and I'd like trying to write a sonett some time.

Aditus, I have been thinking about the steps needed to 'get there' with the Sonnet. Please stay tuned and Irri and i can work our way through the process. It might take a few prompts, but it should be fun trying.   

• Like 3