Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Well, I guess some parts were sticky...but Gary cut up some of my insanely long paragraphs, and probably sentences too.  Somehow the thing came out a bit longer, but I couldn't spot any big changes.  :)

I just saw all my italics are gone, which I don't get...I'm wondering if I should put them back, or just say 'screw it'?

My italics get screwed up when I post, CG. It's been happening for months now, and I don't know why... half my chapter will end up in italics sometimes... can't figure it out... I just go through and fix it all...

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 2

Damn, I hate things like this!  I know they were there when I entered the text...I guess it's a little harder for me when it's only some words, because I have to track them down! 

From my question on indents in the Help Forum, I know there's going to be a feature to supply indents for paragraphs by clicking a button...I assume that's not there yet because my narrator doesn't read it?  I know in Google mail that some of the buttons aren't visible due to my high-contrast browser settings, so I was wondering if it's there but I just can't see it.

Guess the Great Italics Hunt will begin after I read Tim's chapter!  :D

• Like 3

51410b2370b6aa6b84ccdb4853a26b7a.jpg

Hi. Saw your reply to my latest review, and I have to correct one misconception. Belleville is no where near Chicago. It's in rural Southern Illinois, about 20 miles due east of Saint Louis. It was much more of a small town in the 1970s that Columbus, Ohio, was. So, if Gay existed here in relative ease, which it did based on my experiences, then it surely was 'out' in central Ohio as well ;)      

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Dang, and I thought wikipedia was reliable.  I think I must have misunderstood the article, because I could have sworn it had stated it was in one of the counties near Chicago...at least it definitely mentioned the city....Sorry!  My narrator sucks with wiki entries, I've noticed--it doesn't read any of their links in sentences, so I have to mouse around for it to work...that may have been what happened.  I don't have that problem with any other site so far.

My older sisters all went to my high school, the oldest got out twn years before me, and none of them had known of any gay guys there.  That would have put them back to '67, and the first graduating class was in '57, so it's kinda hard to think there weren't any in those years--must have been still closeted.  Of course, I didn't find out my best friend from those years was bi until college...and he'd said he had been doing things for ages.

• Like 3

Dang, and I thought wikipedia was reliable.  I think I must have misunderstood the article, because I could have sworn it had stated it was in one of the counties near Chicago...at least it definitely mentioned the city....Sorry!  My narrator sucks with wiki entries, I've noticed--it doesn't read any of their links in sentences, so I have to mouse around for it to work...that may have been what happened.  I don't have that problem with any other site so far.

My older sisters all went to my high school, the oldest got out twn years before me, and none of them had known of any gay guys there.  That would have put them back to '67, and the first graduating class was in '57, so it's kinda hard to think there weren't any in those years--must have been still closeted.  Of course, I didn't find out my best friend from those years was bi until college...and he'd said he had been doing things for ages.

yeah, I sometimes think back to all the Gay people I knew growing up, but they only came out later (like me). Same with several of my HS classmates, who now go back to class reunions with spouses or partners in tow. Thank God times have advanced.

• Like 2

I gotta wonder about some class-mates too--I've never gone to a reunion because I wasn't really close to more than a couple people,  so why bother?  There was a site about our reunions, and I broadly hinted about my preferences to the organizer, and they said it was probably best not to mention it...that was about eight years ago, so I figure no one has come out in my class, or gone to a reunion if they were.

I posted a couple questions at my town's website about school clubs and sports, and even about the drive-in, saying it was for a story I was writing, but didn't say it was a gay romance--I got a lot of helpful replies, and memories from those years--one person posted pics of his letterman jacket from '67 which were helpful.  I found a site to order one, and it showed images of what the finished product would look like, so I copied them for Benny's jacket.  About the only difference was the lettering on the back was straight across, rather than arched, and no stripe down the sleeve.  It was close enough for government work, as they say, so I used one in the story.

I've been sorely tempted to post a link to Jay & Miles there, since I don't intend to ever go back, or run into these guys again...but haven't done it.  Do you think it would be a bad idea?  It's a toss up as to whether people on the site are conservative or liberal, but I'd say they tend toward the conservative side....  :)

My sisters and a couple friends visit the site, and they all know about me, so I would only be 'outing' myself to any old classmates that I don't have contact with any more.  Also, I've been tempted to call the school district offices to find out the policy on gay issues--the last handbook I saw still doesn't mention banning discrimination due to sexual orientation.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3

Hi CG,

I just thought I would drop a note and short comment about schools of years gone by.............

I graduated from a school in a fairly small rural agricultural community in 1982.  My town is VERY homophobic and fairly religious and republican.  Now there are exceptions in every town, but this is the majority.  I never knew for sure any gay students in my school exept me and no way was I going to let that cat out of the bag :).  Now 35 years later I know of at least 2 others and they are far from this town.  I came back after college and it was the poorest decision of my life.  I am basicly still in the closet due to various things...  family, wife, friends etc.... wife and one very close male friend know the truth and are supportive, yea for small favors.  I have found out recently (last year) that my high school now has a gay strait alliance group/club with a faculty advisor and several members.  This is a HUGE step forward in my town.  It does show that things can change even if it is a slow change.  I do understand your thoughts and if you do decide to post a link to the story on the town page it would be interesting to see how long it lasted and/or what response you got from it.  My guess would be  A: not long and B: more negative than positive.  Times are changing and hopefully youth of today will have an easier time finding acceptance than we did.

Rob

• Like 4

Hey Rob, thanks for the comments.  In a quick search of my old school district's website, I saw no reference to the GSA anywhere, or any sign of recognition that gay issues exist.  The site I referred to as 'my town's', isn't their official site...this is a Facebook page for people to chat and remember growing up there.  I recognized some of the names of people who post there as having gone to school with me, but we were never more than acquaintances if that.  The exceptions are two friends who now live elsewhere, and my two older sisters, who decided not to deal with me after my eye problems, though they accept the gay issue--they better, since one is the mom of my severely gay nephew.  :)

Since I can't drive, there is no possibility of going there, even if I wanted...the town I knew is long gone due to housing developments and growing drug use.  Not to mention teen pregnancies.  The bad thing with mentioning the story there, is that Facebook puts your name with stuff, and would give me away, which the story itself would not.  ColumbusGuy could be anybody, but having my real name show up in the 'Like' or whatever removes the safety factor it seems to me.

Of course, posting a 'Like' for it, doesn't mean I wrote it, so what do y'all think?

• Like 2

CG,

I absolutely refuse to participate in anything Facebook.  I feel that it is the worst security risk for a lot of reasons.  With that in mind I would not post anything on that facebook page.  Facebook, by its very nature, discourages any type of privacy or anonymity.  As a very private and not out gay man, facebook is the devil incarnate.  Obviously, I am a little over the top with this but it works for me.  Your mileage may vary :).

Rob

• Like 3

I absolutely refuse to participate in anything Facebook. 

I agree completely. :yes:

And I would think very carefully about outing yourself or your Jay and Miles story on that site. Ask yourself what the purpose would be? the gain? the consequences?

• Like 3

That's a very good question, Tim!  For more than a year, and nearly another before that, I'd posted nothing there, except a question or two on things to help my story, and I gave no details about what it involved.  No hint it was gay-related, no hint that it was online at all.

I think it's best to keep it that way.

Working on a short piece for my Three Worlds story, maybe start Chapter 49 tomorrow for JM.

• Like 2

Doctor's update.  Had to reschedule the appointment to last Wednesday, 1st Feb.  I have another in two weeks due to what she found.  Seems there was a tiny spot where fluid leaked under the retina, so she did laser surgery in the clinic to seal it off, hence the next one on the 15th.  Everything else looks good, and she told me to call immediately if I noticed any changes in vision...haven't been any so far...but I worry that my luck just seems to be bad when it looks too positive for me in life.

Working on a Three Worlds piece, and will also start Chapter 49 tonight, since I have no interest in the Super Bowl thing.  :D

Oh, I also have an appointment on the 20th with my regular doctor to check A1C, which is a blood sugar thing.  I confess to not testing it often enough, but tonight, after I ate, it was 152, which isn't bad.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2

Doctor's update.  Had to reschedule the appointment to last Wednesday, 1st Feb.  I have another in two weeks due to what she found.  Seems there was a tiny spot where fluid leaked under the retina, so she did laser surgery in the clinic to seal it off, hence the next one on the 15th.  Everything else looks good, and she told me to call immediately if I noticed any changes in vision...haven't been any so far...but I worry that my luck just seems to be bad when it looks too positive for me in life.

Working on a Three Worlds piece, and will also start Chapter 49 tonight, since I have no interest in the Super Bowl thing.  :D

Oh, I also have an appointment on the 20th with my regular doctor to check A1C, which is a blood sugar thing.  I confess to not testing it often enough, but tonight, after I ate, it was 152, which isn't bad.

Dammit, man! You promised to keep a close eye, and test regularly... don't make me come down there -_-

• Like 2

Yeah, I just don't test daily, but since my diet stays pretty much the same, every time I do, it's between 120 and 15o.  But testing now is gonna be every other day from now on.

So who won the Bowl thing?

New England Patriots won :(

• Like 1

Yeah, I just don't test daily, but since my diet stays pretty much the same, every time I do, it's between 120 and 15o.  But testing now is gonna be every other day from now on.

So who won the Bowl thing?

Godt, min ven

New England Patriots won :(

and who should have won?

• Like 1