Poetry Prompt 4 - METER 1

Ugh! Brain hurts!

LOL, yes, but Irri is the first person, who explained it to me and I could actually follow (after reading the explanation three times or so). Thank you Irri! :hug:

• Like 2

LOL, yes, but Irri is the first person, who explained it to me and I could actually follow (after reading the explanation three times or so). Thank you Irri! :hug:

Instruction isn't the problem. Irri did a fine job. It's the application. :facepalm:

• Like 2

Reverse-engineer it, Ron! Pick an even number of syllables, write the poem, and adjust for sound till it's right. Then check the scansion. You may find you're 90% there.

Or read Longfellow or Tennyson for an hour or two first and write the prompt quickly before the effect wears off  :P

Edit: Hey, just an interesting quirk I noticed as I left a review for addy's poem--note that pronunciation affects meter and accents will too. Addy's ORE-reh-GAH-no is two perfect trochees. Americans could not pull this off: we say ORE-reh-guh-no. But the meter was so even it pulled me in and I knew what was intended.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 3

That's right: I could have pronounced it o-re-GAH-no (Italian), ORE-reh-guh-no (American) or ORE-reh-GAH-no (German). As I am allowed to have a German accent, I chose the one that fit. :P

• Like 3

That's right: I could have pronounced it o-re-GAH-no (Italian), ORE-reh-guh-no (American) or ORE-reh-GAH-no (German). As I am allowed to have a German accent, I chose the one that fit. :P

I want it clearly understood, please, that the stresses in the prompt response must scan in the English accent spoken by the author, as by addy above. No fair handing it off to others to read in Glaswegian or Indian English, if that's not the way you talk yourself, ok?  ;)

Edit: actually, the truth is that there's always up-and-down adjustment to make things fit. Stresses seem greater or less depending on what the sounds are around them, and not every line can or should be in perfect meter. But for this first prompt, no shenanigans!

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

Awesome, Dolores! You used some subtle footwork that I detailed in my review.

AC, Dickens had a curiously intense relationship with fruitcake ingredients. Check this out:

It was not alone that the scales descending on the counter made a merry sound, or that the twine and roller parted company so briskly, or that the canisters were rattled up and down like juggling tricks, or even that the blended scents of tea and coffee were so grateful to the nose, or even that the raisins were so plentiful and rare, the almonds so extremely white, the sticks of cinnamon so long and straight, the other spices so delicious, the candied fruits so caked and spotted with molten sugar as to make the coldest lookers-on feel faint and subsequently bilious.

• Like 3

Redheads

I love red heads and I can not lie
You know I can not deny
It's the red heads that I crave
Their porcelain skin makes me rave
With fires around their face
They own most any place
They are God's own special folk
And I'm saying that's no joke
Taste one and you'll see
The fire that's driving me

I love red heads and that's no lie
The attraction I can't deny
Short or tall,
Big or small,
Lord help me I love them all

Red heads they got that grace
That says they're at home any place
They got tempers hot as fire
That strengthens my desire.
They got a powerful look
That I can read just like a book
They got that thing they do
When they're really into you

Short or tall,
Big or small,

Red heads for the win
I include them in all my sin
Red heads really make my day
In oh so many ways
Redheads are like addiction
Firey hot sexual friction
They may not be perfection
But their always my selection for riding my erection

Short or tall,
Big or small,

Red heads are the best way
To spend most any day
Rain or shine it's a good day
When there a redhead along the way
They may say that its just kink
But I don't care what they think
It's Redheads that I crave
When I've got one I've got it made!

Not sure if this is what you had in mind.

• Like 3

Not sure if this is what you had in mind.

I said regular meter, even lines, and you've got to be able to give it a name. Your meter's all over the place and the lines vary in length  :angry:  Back to work, Despicable Cat. 

I'll give you points for perfection/selection/erection though. Edit: Add in connection, confection, collection, or correction, and you might even meet the conditions of the prompt  :P

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

It's based on Sir Mix-a-Lot's I like Big Butts.

Originally a rap.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ImZTwYwCug

I like mine better. :)

Whatever. Go write another one that at least pretends to meet the structural requirements.   :P

Edit: Dirty as you like. But given what a delicate magnolia you are, I'll be surprised if it really is.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

If I'd thought about 'that' favorite food, mine would have been about 'Raven Hair'. And now I can't stop thinking ...about writing another poem.

ohhhhhmygod I'm going to sleep  :lol:  You write what you want to write, in a nice meter, ok?

• Like 2

Ok, I'm still mulling over a holiday-based example, but here's one I thought about yesterday.

We all love candy bars, right..?

Milton Hershey thought that if one could see

An empty wrapper then, his work was done.

All the toil of an adman's brain was free

If his Chocolate's name could, glint in the sun.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm still mulling over a holiday-based example, but here's one I thought about yesterday.

We all love candy bars, right..?

lol, I just saw that Milton's middle name was 'Snavely.' What were his parents thinking..? 

Trochaic pentameter, huh? "Milton Hershey" is just built for that  :lol:

• Like 1