I can't watch the video either. I copied the lyrics from the internet and spent a couple of hours composing :)

The Oracle

Thanks for taking the challenge! I feared no one would be game for this one, but so far so good with the responses. 

I like the somber and rather musical lilt to your poem. I think it is perfect for a classical musical setting. Good job!

• Like 1

Here's my attempt at this, poetry is not really my thing (and certainly not rhymes), so I wanted to try the challenge

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/craftingmom/attemptsatpoetry/1

I just love to hear that you decided to take the challenge precisely because it is challenging. I am the same way :)

The way your poem flows is very good to me. I love how you seemed to capture the indecision and faltering stop-and-go at the beginning, and then that becomes overrun by excitement and free-flowing ideas as the poem comes to a climax. Really nice - I hope decide to stick with it and try some more rhymes!   

Here's mine.

It... got a little dark:o

Edit: and you know what, on looking it over, I see I pretty much abandoned meter. I'll need to take another shot at it.

Edit: Ok, I listened to the piece quite a number of times, carefully keeping my eyes off Kathleen Battle's sleeves, which would otherwise scramble my thought process, and I THINK I've got something I can work with now. It's seven syllables per line, or six syllables with the last-but-two in the line extended to almost take up two beats. Trochees for the first three feet, and the seventh syllable is stressed also. Phew. Life is hard for the tone-deaf!

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 2

Here's mine.

Edit: and you know what, on looking it over, I see I pretty much abandoned meter. I'll need to take another shot at it.

Edit: Ok, I listened to the piece quite a number of times, carefully keeping my eyes off Kathleen Battle's sleeves, which would otherwise scramble my thought process, and I THINK I've got something I can work with now. It's seven syllables per line, or six syllables with the last-but-two in the line extended to almost take up two beats. Trochees for the first three feet, and the seventh syllable is stressed also. Phew. Life is hard for the tone-deaf!

Holy shit that sounds complicated. Why do I think I didn't take this serious enough now? Meter?

Edit: forgot an 'n'.

Edited by aditus
  • Like 2

Why do I think I didn't take this serious enough now? 

Sleeeeeeeeeeeeves?  :lol:

Let me see what I can do today, approaching it from the "angel" side and not the other....

Edit: Darn it! I was four lines in and doing great before I remembered about the rhymes  :angry:

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

So it was a good thing the videos didn't work, no distracting sleeeeeeeves. For me it was all the numbers. Must be the natural scientist in me, or the math tutor or my great-great aunt. :huh:

• Like 2

AUGH, I cannot work under these conditions :o I'm awarding myself an additional trochee per line.

Rhyme + meter = walking + chewing gum. Which I also can't do too well  :,(

Award away! Sit down and chew your gum; it's safer that way ;)

• Like 1

Here's mine.

Yeah, Battle was channeling some 1980s fabulous with those sleeves.  Fill them with helium and see if she levitates!

• Like 2

This one was a struggle.  My writing voice is too chirpy for such a somber sound.  I think I got the text tone to match the music.  

Reflection 

I was surprised to see both you and Irri doubt that the words fit the music. I went in with no preconceived notions - reading your lyrics and listening to the video - and found it worked really, really well. With music, the metre has to slide here and there and be equal to two beats, if the melody carries it that way. I was also impressed at how well the question mark ending one of the first lines matched the minor key modulation in the music - i think you did better than me at that particular juncture. Job well done!       

Done. And oy, is it sappy.

I for one do not find it to be 'sappy.' It seems true to life to me, and also very tender. I like it a lot 

• Like 1

Done. And oy, is it sappy.

William Shakespeare liked the poetical notion that a person's eyes casts out light onto what they see. The more sympathetic, he seemed to say, we look upon people, the more closely we can relate to what we see in them. I think that's akin to the idea you were trying to say in your reply to my review :)    

• Like 1

As for Kathleen Battle's infamous 'balloon sleeves,' she was just obviously using them to push Flicka (the other singer) out of the limelight! Or, at least marginalize her to the periphery of the camera frame ; )

BTW, this was a Christmas concert at Carnegie Hall in 1991. Here's another sample – the number immediately after the Hansel and Gretel prayer song. For those of you who cannot open the links to youtube, can you let me know if you can watch it here as a preview window..? That would be a big help if I knew you could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nChsp_KuCZQ

Gesú bambino, by Pietro A. Yon. Frederica von Stade, Kathleen Battle and the American Boys' Choir; André Previn conducts the Orchestra of Saint Luke's.  

Edited by AC Benus

William Shakespeare liked the poetical notion that a person's eyes casts out light onto what they see. The more sympathetic, he seemed to say, we look upon people, the more closely we can relate to what we see in them. I think that's akin to the idea you were trying to say in your reply to my review :)    

Thank you, that's a very warm and sweet way to look at it :) It was definitely what I was trying for.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

For those of you who cannot open the links to youtube, can you let me know if you can watch it here as a preview window..? That would be a big help if I knew you could.

No, at least I can't open it. For this particular piece I could listen to Luciano Pavarotti's interpretation though. So, if it's only the music and not the artist, that would be okay, right? Or do I need to see the sleeeeves and that she lives up to her name and pushes others out of the limelight?
  • Like 1

No, at least I can't open it. For this particular piece I could listen to Luciano Pavarotti's interpretation though. So, if it's only the music and not the artist, that would be okay, right? Or do I need to see the sleeeeves and that she lives up to her name and pushes others out of the limelight?

Well, I just threw that vid in as a 'bonus,' and to see if GA would post it as they do in the blog entries. There it comes out as a preview window, and I was hoping you might be able to watch it if it appeared in that format.

Here is a great picture of Kathleen battling her power-wardrobe and pushing both Flicka and Wynton Marsalis to the edge of the camera frame! Haha - plz enjoy - http://www.amazon.com/Carnegie-Christmas-Frederica-Kathleen-Marsalis/dp/B000Q66PZW

Edited by AC Benus