I agree, every story needs a good villain and this one's is Max. You might consider giving us a glimpse of his charming side, though. I assume he has one or he wouldn't have been able to lure Christian away from Anton. We'll still hate him, of course. ;)

• Like 3

Ok, now that I have finally caught up in reading the story I get to read the forum and comment.  I always avoid a forum for fear of spoilers till I am up to speed.

Great minds think alike. :)

I sent out a PM to those readers who have left more than one review, and I thought about including everyone, but thought that might be overkill. I'm happy you found it on your own. :D.

That may be leaving quite a few people out in the cold Tim! I might not have found the forum at all if Iomax had not included a link at the end of a chapter! I do tend to get a little preoccupied with editing chapters to be able to go site surfing.

I always get so nervous writing a review, since they can't be edited and you can't write more replies to explain anything further.

That is sort of the point of discussion threads!  We all get to see what each other thinks and sometimes we even change our own opinions.

Lisa posed the question in a review wondering if Max is physically abusing Christian. At this point we can't be sure. From the signs, Max would be capable of it and inclined to it. However, mental abuse and the threat of physical abuse can be just as traumatizing  or more so than actual blows and injuries. You see subtle signs that whatever is going on is taking a toll. I'm thinking of Christian's 'drawn' appearance and then there is Max's insistence of using the diminutive Chris, which Anton knows Christian dislikes. You notice that Christian didn't object. Reading between the lines you can see that Christian has likely thrown up Anton to Max as being a better partner. That concerns me in that Max may actually assault Anton. This becomes more likely if he finds out Christian is meeting Anton behind his back.

Max strikes me as the sort that could easily turn physically abusive if his emotional abuse does not achieve his goals. Unfortunately there are many people out there, both male and female, who use every means they have to intimidate those around them for their own purposes. While it worries me that Christian may be feeling those effects, it worries me more what Max may do if he decides Anton is a threat to what he considers his property.

We are off topic. Feel free to continue via pm.  :)

Off topic is something we do fairly well around the forums. We should, however try to stay on topic, at least until we know how Iomax feels about our wandering off in his thread.

i've never interpreted Christian to be a nasty person. He just wasn't in on the game with Anton anymore. So again, my theory might not work.

One doesn't need to intend to be nasty to have a detrimental effect on someone close to them. That he was always trying to push Anton outside his safety zone would be enough to make someone with a phobia (an unreasoning fear) very uncomfortable. Just because a fear has no logical basis does not make it very real. 

Christian appears to be using Anton once again by lying to Mad Max... an indication that he's cheating on Max, maybe?

We do not know if Christian is lying to Max. What we know is that Max is a posessive, possibly obsessive, man who will use his size and forceful demeanor to intimidate people.  Those of us who have dealt with dates that have turned out similar to Max know that even the most innocent of mentions can key off extreme behaviors to protect what they think of as theirs. For those of you who have been fortunate enough to have never had to deal with stalker-ish personalities, be glad of it. 

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Metajinx posed a question in a review about Anton's phone surviving the dip in the puddle. Since my phone would still live through that and there are dry cases for others, I don't really see that as an issue.

That may be leaving quite a few people out in the cold Tim! I might not have found the forum at all if Iomax had not included a link at the end of a chapter! I do tend to get a little preoccupied with editing chapters to be able to go site surfing. 

The first PM was just to get the forum going until Brian included the link in the chapter end notes. After that I assumed readers would come here just as you did. :)

I'm so :D to see all the activity here, so   :thankyou:  to all of the posters so far.   :off:  or not. :lol:

• Like 1

I loved the new chapter... London. It was very rewarding for the reader, yet leaves us with more questions. The big one is Martin's reaction to seeing Stephen and Anton together... I am assuming he is worried that Stephen is replacing Sebastian with someone who looks like him... there is merit in that concern, especially when you consider that Stephen told Anton he was so much like Sebastian. Cause for concern? Maybe. Stephen's reaction to Anton's #5-- his phobia... was less than ideal. Hmmm. Is it because of Africa? And why would anyone in their right mind choose Max over Anton. I would think that Christian is suffering a bad case of hindsight right about now. Dammit, I have to get back to my writing... you're doing a great job, Brian... cheers... Gary

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 3
  • Site Moderator

The redecorating of Anton's apartment was a monumental step in moving on with his life. The only disappointment was Stephen's reaction to Anton's aerophobia. As a doctor, albeit a GP, he has to realize how deep seated a phobia can be and the frustration and helplessness the sufferer faces. You'd think knowing the reason for it would help one cope with the seemingly irrational fear, but it doesn't. I believe that phobias that are linked to events later in life are easier to overcome than those going back to childhood simply because they are less ingrained. I agree that Martin is concerned about Anton's resemblance to Sebastian. Martin is a caring friend and he is showing that care for both of them.

My take on Max and the photo was for him to be able to show Christian that there is no haven there anymore. But what was that business with him seeming to remember him? People like Max seem to turn up in the most unlikely and unwanted places. Been there, done that.

Overall this was a good weekend for them both. And there will be a black tie event in their future. Stephen's sister was certainly happy about it. I want to see Gemma's take on Stephen. Will it be pro or con? I'm leaning toward pro. She's just got to see what a positive influence this is on Anton.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 3

My take on Max and the photo was for him to be able to show Christian that there is no haven there anymore. But what was that business with him seeming to remember him? People like Max seem to turn up in the most unlikely and unwanted places. Been there, done that.

I agree Max wanted to hurt Christian by showing him Anton has moved on. And I bet the whole business with him pretending to know Stephen was in order to make Anton believe Stephen is a player who goes to the same seedy places as Max. That jerk would love to hurt Anton by having him upset with his boyfriend, because he hates the fact Christian is recalling Anton fondly and missing him. Fortunately Anton is much to clever to fall for this ploy, his instincts about Max are good - perhaps not as to how evil the man is, but he can certainly see when he is being manipulative and nasty.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I agree Max wanted to hurt Christian by showing him Anton has moved on. And I bet the whole business with him pretending to know Stephen was in order to make Anton believe Stephen is a player who goes to the same seedy places as Max. That jerk would love to hurt Anton by having him upset with his boyfriend, because he hates the fact Christian is recalling Anton fondly and missing him. Fortunately Anton is much to clever to fall for this ploy, his instincts about Max are good - perhaps not as to how evil the man is, but he can certainly see when he is being manipulative and nasty.

Could be..  Somehow I just don't read Max as being terribly smart though. Everything he has done so far has been so heavy handed and thuggish. Subtlety is not his forte. I think if that had been his intent, he would have said something like, 'I remember you from Club X.'

Could be..  Somehow I just don't read Max as being terribly smart though. Everything he has done so far has been so heavy handed and thuggish. Subtlety is not his forte. I think if that had been his intent, he would have said something like, 'I remember you from Club X.'

As you said, he doesn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed - just as a tool. Perhaps it hasn't registered on him where he saw Stephen. It could have been something as innocuous to Stephen as the ED after Max had a drunken binge.

• Like 1

I thought Stephen's reaction was to the fact that Anton just told him about losing his parents. The phobia wouldn't matter to Stephen.

Martin's reaction to me was about Stephen starting something with Anton and then leaving, breaking his heart in the process.

• Like 3

I thought Stephen's reaction was to the fact that Anton just told him about losing his parents. The phobia wouldn't matter to Stephen.

Martin's reaction to me was about Stephen starting something with Anton and then leaving, breaking his heart in the process.

Good points! You could be right...

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

Well, Stephen said some expletive under his breath and squeezed his thigh. He didn't say anything supportive or, more to the point, anything at all. I would have expected a 'That's understandable' or something.

As to Martin's reaction, that would go hand in hand with Anton's resemblance to Sebastian and the leaving part could be from either side. I think either one of them has the potential to be devastated at this point, although Stephen at least has a job.

• Like 1

Hitting on a car crash victim is a little suspect... especially for a three-way. ... not so sure I like Rico... he is too blatant in his speech and actions at this point, but who knows... maybe he has a heart of gold.

Martin and Gallagher are lovely men. I have a very romantic nature, as all those who know me will attest to, so I confess to being relieved that Anton was of a monogamous nature.

Rico and Sean come across as good guys here... I just hope they don't set their sights on Anton... he is too vulnerable.

Gary my friend, I hope you'll forgive me for saying I laughed when I read the above in your reviews. Not because I found it funny, but because I was delighted at having foreseen your reactions to those two couples. When I read chapter 4 my first thought was 'Gary will love Martin and Gal' and I knew you'd shake your head in disapproval of Rico and the casual relationship he and Sean have.

But I hope you now realize Rico has very good instincts and a heart of gold indeed. As Brian has hinted at, Rico's offer in the cottage was more about showing Anton that he is desirable - which was good for him after being rejected by Stephen moments before (which we now know was what happened). Sending Sean to rescue Anton in the gallery was another example, and Rico was obviously aware of the potential for love between Stephen and Anton - and he thinks it's a good thing, saying how the doctor is less 'angry'. I hope he can convince Martin to leave our two lovebirds alone.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
  • Site Moderator

Gary my friend, I hope you'll forgive me for saying I laughed when I read the above in your reviews. Not because I found it funny, but because I was delighted at having foreseen your reactions to those two couples. When I read chapter 4 my first thought was 'Gary will love Martin and Gal' and I knew you'd shake your head in disapproval of Rico and the casual relationship he and Sean have.

But I hope you now realize Rico has very good instincts and a heart of gold indeed. As Brian has hinted at, Rico's offer in the cottage was more about showing Anton that he is desirable - which was good for him after being rejected by Stephen moments before (which we now know was what happened). Sending Sean to rescue Anton in the gallery was another example, and Rico was obviously aware of the potential for love between Stephen and Anton - and he thinks it's a good thing, saying how the doctor is less 'angry'. I hope he can convince Martin to leave our two lovebirds alone.

I agree with your read. Rico is very perceptive and a good guy. I can also understand Martin's concern for both of them as well. When he realizes that this isn't a flash in the pan, he'll be fully on board without any outside help. The hazards of forming a relationship based purely on looking like one's dead lover are obvious, particularly if you are just looking skin deep or expecting a clone.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

"Forgotten" is a very powerful chapter. It finally answers the questions about Max being an abuser and Christian, a cheater. Anton has moved on from Christian. Now there are more questions. Stephen stood Anton up without a call. I personally think there was a good reason, but we don't know what it is yet and neither does Anton. Too much has happened this day for him to take that late call from Stephen. There is also that shocking news article about Stephen being 'Doctor Death.' Ah, the ever lurid press. That's page one. Then the details of why someone was cleared ends up on page 43 under an ad for feminine protection pads. I'm not really apprehensive about that.

One thing I want explained is why Stephen cannot back out of going to Africa. Anyone? Anyone?

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4

Telling Christian to leave - good move.

Sending Stephen's call to voicemail - not such a good move but understandable.

Jumping to any conclusions about the supposed "Dr Death" thing except what he voiced to Christian - that if there were any basis he would have lost his licence to practice medicine - premature.

Anton has few facts and high emotions right now - a disastrous combination for making decisions.

• Like 3

It's going to be mighty interesting to hear Stephen's explanation. I mean even if he gets stuck at work, he should be able to at least text him. Or have one of the nurses text him if he is in surgery.

I just hope nothing's happened to Stephen's dad.

• Like 1

I just hope nothing's happened to Stephen's dad.

Even if he died, there is no excuse. Stephen could spend 60 seconds to call or text Anton and say "My dad's in hospital xx. Please meet me there if you can. Love S."

What if Anton gets pneumonia from standing in the freezing cold for 90 minutes? Not good enough, doctor duck !

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

You wouldn't contact your SO and ask him/her to help ? :huh:  or someone else you loved and trusted ?

Nope. When my mom died (my only living parent), I went straight to my business. Someone asked how she was and I told them, "She didn't make it." I never stopped walking until I was in my office. I locked the door, and laid down on the couch. I had no desire to talk to anyone.