Ok!!! I'll always opt to learn new and try new... :)

It is definitely gonna be a tough challenge and gonna take some crucial time to deal with it. And now, for my busy schedule its gonna add some more... :lol:

So, I am in. But definitely gonna need some(a lot some, but not a huge some) time... :)

• Like 1

Quite a challenge. But such a good one.

The short story was devastating and for the musically interested: at 14:50 you can hear a few bars of Mendelssohn's Hear my prayer - I had to replay it several times to be sure.

(Yes I'm a nerd ;) ).

• Like 2

Quite a challenge. But such a good one.

The short story was devastating and for the musically interested: at 14:50 you can hear a few bars of Mendelssohn's Hear my prayer - I had to replay it several times to be sure.

(Yes I'm a nerd ;) ).

I'm glad you can watch that video, Peter. I hope everybody can, because the beauty of the soundtrack adds to the film, imo.

I remember watching this film in a high school literature class, and I've never forgotten it. 

• Like 1

The muse one almost wrote itself, but the second one... Now I'm sitting here with the trusty old rhyming dictionary and list of words again. Only four each, though. Seems like a breeze after some of the other prompts. What was the most? 13? 

• Like 1

The muse one almost wrote itself, but the second one... Now I'm sitting here with the trusty old rhyming dictionary and list of words again. Only four each, though. Seems like a breeze after some of the other prompts. What was the most? 13? 

I hoped that the Owl Bridge poems would be 'meaty,' that is long. It seems like a good subject and type of poem to explore in a substantial number of stanzas. 

Maybe even plot out sections before starting to write them down. Like an 'on the bridge' section, an 'in the water' section and so forth.

What do you think...?   

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, Dolores gave me inspiration to finish this! Here it is! It was harder than it sounded, I must say. 

https://www.gayauthors.org/story/puppilull/puppilullspoetryprompts/16

Thanks for taking the poetry prompt challenge! I think both poems are great, and I left you a review on the posting. :) 

• Like 1

Thank you, Dolores, for taking the poetry prompt challenge! Your hard work paid off. I've left you a review on the posting :)    

OH I need to read Dolores' and comment!!

Thanks for taking the poetry prompt challenge! I think both poems are great, and I left you a review on the posting. :)

I reviewed these.. they were both terrific!!

• Like 2

OH I need to read Dolores' and comment!!

I reviewed these.. they were both terrific!!

Thanks for being out there, Tim, and encouraging everybody along the way!!! 

I know we will be getting your Rubaiyat one fine day ;)

• Like 2

Thanks for being out there, Tim, and encouraging everybody along the way!!! 

I know we will be getting your Rubaiyat one fine day ;)

oh im usually sculking around ...

• Like 2

Beautiful, Dolores.

Your poem complements the movie very well and when read aloud feels natural and smooth.

As I'm still struggling with it, I can appreciate it even more.

I agree, Peter. Looking forward to seeing your take on 'muse' and 'Owl Creek' :)

• Like 1

The 'muse' wasn't the problem. The 'Owl Creek' is turning out a bit too 'meaty'. :/

I had the exact same feeling. In the end, I accepted that three stanzas was my limit. It was difficult to simplify and reach the core of what I wanted to say when the film stirred so many emotions. It got cloudy...

• Like 2

When I came to think about the actual prompt, I was inspired by Frost's take on death as a theme. At first I thought I would just ask the poets to think about their own mortality and write about it. However, the subtlety of Frost's Rubaiyat – a poem about death where the word is not even mentioned – made me realize it would be better to ask the poets to subconsciously think about their own mortality through the medium of watching another die. That's when I hit upon the idea of using Bierce's timeless short story, and the wonderful film version of it.

I'm saying this, because my 'confession' may help others grapple with this challenge.

• Like 3