I tend to agree with Green. Dom likes to write ... I think that's pretty clear. He's kind enough to share his talents with the rest of us, and the process of writing may have some degree of cathartic benefit for him. And I also think that he knows that there are messages in his stories that will reach young people and give them the courage or hope that they need to deal with whatever situation they find themselves in. But that's just a guess, since I don't know Dom, nor do I know what type of person he is. He obviously values his privacy and has valid reasons for doing so.

But does it really matter *why* he does it? I don't think so ...

But Ann, you're his friend ... why don't you just ask him?

Also, I don't think there have been that many negative comments. I think the vast, vasy majority of readers greatly appreciate what Dom does and try to respect his privacy, right to have a life outside of feeding us the latest chapters of whichever story he's working on, etc. But everyone who is willing to put there writing or whatever out there for public consumption has to accept that there will be negative responses, there may be psycho stalkers, they may have undue pressure put on them, blah blah blah ... Dom's obviously not stupid, and when he made the conscious choice to start sharing his stories with the public, he knew would receive all kinds of different feedback (although perhaps not on the massive scale that he has). That's something he'll have to accept and deal with it, unless (god forbid) he decides to stop writing. But that's up to Dom, and hopefully he'll remain sane enough to keep going!!!

Why do painters paint or sculptors sculpt?

Creativity is a weird and wonderful thing. If you ask an artist why they create, they are likely to tell you that I am an artist and that is what I do.

Why do painters paint or sculptors sculpt?

Creativity is a weird and wonderful thing. If you ask an artist why they create, they are likely to tell you that I am an artist and that is what I do.

I think they'd also say they have an urge to express something. Wether it's painting, sculpture, music, photo, etc... or writing, there's a need to put a feeling into shape and/or to convey it probably.

Ann's post was very thoughtful. It contained for me two points - Why does Dom write and his relationship with his audience - "us ones" as I used to say long years ago. The first question is easily answered. He writes because he has to. Simple. Maybe a part of him resents that, but it is his karma. Simple indeed.

The second about the relationship with his public - the folk on the forum - is more complex. And over the month or so I have been on this forum, I have been struck by just how clever, funny, unusual, empathetic, diverse and perverse a group of people we are. :boy:

I am sure that there are thousands of authors out there who would like to have us for a fan army. But we are also a demanding bunch. We want more all the time. We also want to shape the stories we are reading. I know that I was so into Seth and Rory that it was like a real pain every time Luke looked like he was making some ground. Moreover I was not above letting that be known. B) :wacko:

So does Dom have a love hate relationship with us? It is tempting perhaps to think like that, but I do not believe there is any hate at all. The care and time that he so obviously lavishes on his stories, are clear proof that he is not alienated from either his art or from us. Though at times the burden of our demands must wear him down a little. We are like the chooks that need feeding or perhaps a better comparison would be that we are the children :lmao: constantly demanding attention. He loves us but we can be exhausting. But then that's what fans do.

Still that is ok. The stories will continue I hope for a long time, though of course that will change. At present however it looks like we can actually step into the same river twice. And that is a truly enchanting feeling. Dom's creativity seems absolute and abundant. These are great days for him and for us his public. And we are his adoring public. :P There is no doubt about that at all. :worship::worship::worship:

Gearoid

I think that anyone who writes does it simply becuase they have to, mainly for themselves, but I think they also get pleasure from others enjoying what they write.

Writing is as much part of them as breathing. I also think that most authors are more than happy to accept intelligent criticism.

From the stories of Doms that I've read, TLW and TOU the similarities are there simply beacause he wrote them both and there is a little bit him in each character in each story - I guess -

This is only my second post here so I hope it makes sense :unsure:

• Site Moderator

Blacknight, your comments make a lot of sense. I've heard other Authurs say they write for themselves and they share their work with us, the reader.

Talon

It seems that Dom is one of the rare few able to share with the world his words that are meant to touch our souls. He knows that he can give us strength and courage to be proud of who we are and not be afraid to show it, through his beautiful writing.

Even if thats not the main reason Dom writes, it is something that he does for us (especially for me) I'm sure we're all very thankful that we have him. :D

I've just happened to listen to a program about Charles Dickens on the radio. He used to publish his novels chapter by chapter in newspapers, not hesitating to change the their course, when circulation was plummetting. Perhaps it's not necessarily a bad idea for an author to heed his or her readers' expectations to some extent. It's a challenge for a writer to be good and popular at the same time.

In my eyes Ann wants us to think twice before openly finding fault with Dom's stories, which we all relish. Fully agreeing with that and being willing to follow Dom wherever he takes his characters and us, I'd like to share one thought: Doesn't a good writer deserve attentive readers, who apply scrutiny to his or her texts? Then again, doesn't stating that you liked some aspect of the text most somehow imply that you didn't like the others that much? There is hardly any work of literature that is overall perfect.

In any case, I truely wish that Dom will go on with his writing, increase the number of his readers and finally become a famous writer.

• Site Moderator

Any author worth his/her salt wants to hear the good and bad about their stories and may use it accordingly.

There are a few things the reader should remember tho.

When you write to an author, be complete and thorough with your comments, both good and bad. Most authors want the readers feedback.

When you post something in a forum, it's okay to post negative comments. Just don't go overboard with them. You'll only succeed in making yourself look like a fool. And you may get comments back that you didn't expect.