It's Ok To Be Single

The article brought back some interesting memories for me.  I come from an extremely large family and had one aunt and one uncle who remained single their entire lives.  At the time people often referred to single woman as 'old maids' and single men by numerous terms, such as 'confirmed bachelor', the 'funny uncle', or the 'self imposed priest'.  In most cases these terms had a cloaked meaning, such as they were homosexuals.  I think that was what the survey meant when it said these people were possibly 'immoral'. 

• Like 1

Single, but not celibate is my current status

I want a relationship, I want to find that special guy who will complete me, but I still have needs as well that a companion offers. I'm very selective about who I am with and I advise the same for other guys still searching for love and someone dependable.

• Like 2

I've never been single, from sharing an apartment to relationships, some of which were long, some short, some weak, some strong, sometimes there was more than one other person sharing my life, but never having been single doesn't mean there haven't been times when I was alone.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

The article brought back some interesting memories for me.  I come from an extremely large family and had one aunt and one uncle who remained single their entire lives.  At the time people often referred to single woman as 'old maids' and single men by numerous terms, such as 'confirmed bachelor', the 'funny uncle', or the 'self imposed priest'.  In most cases these terms had a cloaked meaning, such as they were homosexuals.  I think that was what the survey meant when it said these people were possibly 'immoral'. 

I agree with you, Bill.  I've had many people assume that I'm gay simply because I'm in my 40s, never married, never had kids, and am single.  

It is better to be single than with the wrong one.

That is so true!  

Single, but not celibate is my current status

I want a relationship, I want to find that special guy who will complete me, but I still have needs as well that a companion offers. I'm very selective about who I am with and I advise the same for other guys still searching for love and someone dependable.

Single does not necessarily equal celibate ;)  Good advice. :) 

I've never been single, from sharing an apartment to relationships, some of which were long, some short, some weak, some strong, sometimes there was more than one other person sharing my life, but never having been single doesn't mean there haven't been times when I was alone.

I think we can all relate to feeling alone at times.  I'm an introvert, so being around people can be exhausting to me.  It's nice to be able to go home and not have to put on a facade.  

At this point in my life, I enjoy being single even if there are times I would enjoy the right person lying next to me in bed or enjoying a meal or spending time listening to music and reading. I don't know if I would want someone with me 24/7 however. I don't need someone to complete me. Rather, perhaps someone to enhance my life and I his.

• Like 1

I know,it's not the same, but also many of my friends, who are either divorced or widowed but are relatively young choose to remain single or a single parent for that matter. There are sometimes rumors about them being gay. I don't know why. Maybe it's more difficult for a woman to earn enough, but for a man it shouldn't be a problem. Not wanting to be alone should not be the sole reason to be with someone else.

• Like 2

I can relate to this so much. I've spent most of my adult life single. I'm not out to my family at all and I'm the only one unmarried with no kids, so I guess I'm probably the "funny uncle." I do sometimes feel like life is passing me by a bit, like maybe I'm missing out. I always thought one day I'd have kids one way or another, but who knows now.

Anyway, I guess it helps to realize my situation isn't so unusual after all. I am dating someone right now, but we haven't ever really defined us as a couple. We're casual/serious at this point, if that makes any kind of a sense. Point being, it can still feel like I'm single a lot of the time. But I'm much the same, where I generally have become comfortable only answering to myself.

• Like 1