19 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Interesting. I think the tempo they chose does them a disservice.... a little breakneck rushing through most of the nuances in the fugue, imo. 

(btw, if you scroll back, I've posted quite a few saxophone quartet vids - it's a form I generally like :) ) 

Here's a performance I think is stellar https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41927-dead-composers-society/?do=findComment&comment=642715

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Lux Apollo said:

Some fun piano miniatures from Niels Gade for a lovely Sunday afternoon/evening.

Very lively. Is the composer himself playing here? There are some particularly skillful renderings in the up-tempo numbers :) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

Very lively. Is the composer himself playing here? There are some particularly skillful renderings in the up-tempo numbers :) 

No, Gade passed away in 1890. I am unaware of the reputation and broader  work of the pianist in the recording.

• Like 1

Carl Ditters has an almost totally unique distinction: as a major composer, the oboe was his instrument. I've read that at least a dozen oboe concerti are known to have been written and performed by him. The attached vid records the six surviving.

The solo instrument shines in virtuosity and subtlety too. Ditters was great influence on how Mozart's concerti advanced to truly 'concert' levels. I hope you enjoy 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, AC Benus said:

C.P.E. Bach, wq 168, slow movement 

How I love it when you post something I have never heard. This is a particularly moving piece. I had an almost Beethovenesque sense for a moment, but the plaintive flute line reminded me of both year and yearning. Thank you for sharing this.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lux Apollo said:

Why is C.P.E. Bach so awesome? :)

He's very modern, I think. Without him, the state of the art would not have progressed to the degree it did. Mozart would never have been Mozart, that much is sure. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Parker Owens said:

How I love it when you post something I have never heard. This is a particularly moving piece. I had an almost Beethovenesque sense for a moment, but the plaintive flute line reminded me of both year and yearning. Thank you for sharing this.

I love to explore new music; always an adventure. Interesting you mention Beethoven - I hear great influence in this piece on Beethoven's liebermeister, Antonio Salieri. There's one aria I can think of that might be illustrative....if I can find it on youbute :) 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

I love to explore new music; always an adventure. Interesting you mention Beethoven - I hear great influence in this piece on Beethoven's liebermeister, Antonio Salieri. There's one aria I can think of that might be illustrative....if I can find it on youbute :) 

The aria starts about min 12:33 (although I think this performance is lackluster as best.....). Here are strong Beethoven elements before Beethoven was Beethoven. :) 

1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

He's very modern, I think. Without him, the state of the art would not have progressed to the degree it did. Mozart would never have been Mozart, that much is sure. 

For those who frequent this forum, it's probably not news, but in his time, C.P.E. Bach was better known than his father, who was considered old-fashioned. 

--George

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, George Richard said:

For those who frequent this forum, it's probably not news, but in his time, C.P.E. Bach was better known than his father, who was considered old-fashioned. 

--George

Looking forward and not back was very much a feature of C18 musical life. Novelty (as in newness) was everything. 

32 minutes ago, George Richard said:

--George

Yes, the elder Bach's style was lambasted in his time as too eccentric and far far from mainstream currents (which it was!). It's ironic that folks nowadays think of him as the leading composer of his time. It was only with the near-accidental posting of the Baron von Sweeten to Berlin that he encountered J.S.'s music and brought it back to Vienna where composers like Mozart encountered a forgotten master.

I love the story that on his way to Berlin himself, Mozart stopped in Leipzig and had to see Bach's organ. As he was playing J.S.'s music, an old man - who had been one of Bach's students - clambered into the church thinking it was doomsday; that his master had risen from the dead.  

13 minutes ago, northie said:

Looking forward and not back was very much a feature of C18 musical life. Novelty (as in newness) was everything. 

...nice to see you back here... ;)

• Like 1

Music for a quiet evening.... 

Haydn Piano Trio No. 39. I'm particularly feeling the slow movement today...melancholy in sway, although bright in the face it shows the world...

• Like 1

It's been a while since I posted here. :) I have no idea if this was already posted, so I apologize in advance.

This is a channel on Youtube dedicated to traditional music from around the world- everything from Armenian to Zulu music. I hope you all like it!

• Like 3