National Novel Writing Month 2016

• Site Administrator

Is anyone going to tackle NaNoWriMo this year?  I'm considering it, since I have a student intern till mid December, so I'll have time during the day to work on it.  Any suggestions from those who have participated in the past?  

• Like 3

I signed up for an account last night.  Not sure I'll be an official participant but the idea is for me to use it to get back in the practice of writing daily.  I'm going to be working on a story I started a while back and want to finish up - at least get a completed first draft.  My user name there is PercyWIBL.

• Like 2

No .. don't have the time. I mean it this time .. the poetry I can deal with but not this. What is it? Like 50,000 words?  That is soooo not gonna happen. 

Best of luck to those of you who do however!!

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

It's a huge undertaking, that's for sure.  I have an idea that's been sitting around for a while now, so this may be the push I need to get it done.  

Hey Val!  I just signed up because I saw your post! 

I've never done it before and considering how long it took me to write FA, I'm not sure how successful I'll be :)

But I'm hoping it will motivate me to stay on task and write!  

Oh, my user name is Oh2Bwriting

• Like 1

NaNoWriMo can be a great tool, or it can be a really good way to procrastinate - it sort of depends how you treat it. I have "won" NaNoWriMo 5 times, but quit partially due to the fact my local group was run by people who didn't like it when other people succeeded - it was that type of group.

I find the challenge very useful, but much of the community is a bit useless.

If you're going to attempt Nano this year, Good luck! And have fun!

• Like 1

NaNoWriMo is what got me my first completed story back in 04 or something.  It was great, because it showed me how to tackle a project and complete it to the end, and I did another 2 after that, but then it started to lose it's appeal.  I didn't like the pace of it.  But I think it's a great tool for a lot of people, otherwise it wouldn't be so popular!

Edited by CassieQ
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I think I'm going to try my own version.  I have so many projects that need finishing, this seems like a perfect opportunity to do so.  So instead of writing a complete novel in November, my challenge to myself is to write every day.  I'd like to write my Fairy Tale story for the Special Anthology and possibly another story for it, finish a special holiday project, and write at least one chapter of "The Hollow Hills".  Today I wrote a short story and started my Fairy Tale antho story, so I'm off to a good start. :)