[dkstories] Doing it Right 12

:2thumbs::2thumbs:

So this has to be the end. This story (as I see it) is complete. Every good story has an end and I don't see any need for more chapters.

This whole third part has given me the feeling of the aftermath of a wild weekend in bed whith your love. After the tempest comes the calm when the sky clears and the sun shine its warm rays on you while you just lie there and remember everything and all is just so right.

Thanks Dan for this great tale. You are a true master.

:worship::worship:

A good chapter Dan. Not a lot os substance, but it showed everything settled and in place. Things are as we might hope they would be. Great work.

Richard

ORN

Hey wait... this can't be the end! There's so much more that could be done here!

Actually you are right :2thumbs: and I am wrong :sheep: . There seems to be some more chapters as I just found out. :great:

... Another two are the DIR chapters 12 & 13 (I think...he might have already gotten 12 back to me...I need to finish up DIR 14 which is about 3/4 done and send that to him as well). Any way you cut it, though, the next few chapters of the stories are all done and will be posted on the regular schedule...One on Frday, One on Tuesday, until all the chapters I have canned are all posted. Then there were will be delays until after the campaign season as I struggle to find time to write. ...

However I wouldn't mind an ending of this story as how this chapter ended. But notice that DIR is written in an other way than DO and DOR. There are no cliffhangers and there is a ambition to get the life of Davey and his friends as normal :blink: as possible - because it is the best for the world.

Edited by Ratatosk

This chapter had me really waiting for disaster! ESPECIALLY when Davey took off his seat belt! I was very much waiting for the fiery crash.. Everything was going so well that I just knew that disaster loomed! I was astounded that it didn't!

I liked Davey's explanation to Sean regarding Reagan... I think some of it might have been tongue-in-cheek, though, as Reagan didn't dislike Democrats: He was one for many years, including most of his political life. (take a look at his speeches in the 40's in support of

FDR, the New Deal, and Harry Truman, and he was a Democrat until the 1960's). He was also was friends with quite a few Democrats, including his sometimes nemesis, Tip O'Neil (Democratic speaker of the house.)

On the other hand, including anything like the above in the chapter would have made it sound like a political history lesson, so IMHO it's better off without it.

I'm still VERY curious as to what Davey will end up doing for a career.

I imagine we've all been well trained to expect the worst! My money was on a sniper for most of the chapter, with a brief span where I expected a tragic car crash.

This would be a nice ending though. Very nice indeed. I am, however, glad it's not. ;)

This chapter had me really waiting for disaster! ESPECIALLY when Davey took off his seat belt! I was very much waiting for the fiery crash.. Everything was going so well that I just knew that disaster loomed! I was astounded that it didn't!

I liked Davey's explanation to Sean regarding Reagan... I think some of it might have been tongue-in-cheek, though, as Reagan didn't dislike Democrats: He was one for many years, including most of his political life. (take a look at his speeches in the 40's in support of

FDR, the New Deal, and Harry Truman, and he was a Democrat until the 1960's). He was also was friends with quite a few Democrats, including his sometimes nemesis, Tip O'Neil (Democratic speaker of the house.)

On the other hand, including anything like the above in the chapter would have made it sound like a political history lesson, so IMHO it's better off without it.

I know exactly what you mean, Cathy Ryan and Patriot Games ring any bells?

That was my first thought when that happened and when Dan spoke of the passing and such it seemed almost exactly what happened with CR in her sports car, I could see the scene replaying in my mind as she zipped in and out of traffic before being attacked. When that didn't materialize I was waiting for the activity to cause a crash. I think he does it on purpose, things have been going so good that I keep expecting the other shoe to drop. This definitely makes two chapters in a row for me.

As to Reagan you are right. I very much liked the man, even if I didn't agree with all of his stances on certain things you at least knew where he stood on matters and he wasn't afraid to tell you. And Dan was right he truly cared for people and thought things could be better tomorrow. I was turning 18 a few weeks after the 80 election and couldn't vote but I remember being very cynical about all politicians not liking any of them feeling that none of them would ever speak the truth about anything. Carter was a complete disaster and I didn't like any of them. I remember the first time that Reagan really stood out for me. I was watching the news one night and he had held a campaign stop in NYC in the slums with all these blacks screaming at him demanding to know what HE was going to do for THEM and he couldn't get a word in for nothing and I wasn't paying much attention to the story when all of a sudden I heard "If you'll shut up for a minute you might find out" and that brought me sitting upright in complete shock. Here was a man running for Pres and he just went off on these beligerent people. I was hooked forever more. Love him or hate him at least you knew his beliefs and where he stood on things.

Anyway thats my two cents :D

Hey.. I dont understand ! Its the end of the story DIR or not ?

Does it mean that if everybody asks it, Dan will write another chapter?

I would support it.

Hey.. I dont understand ! Its the end of the story DIR or not ?

Does it mean that if everybody asks it, Dan will write another chapter?

I would support it.

Don't think so. Dan has said previously that it was going to be around 20 chapters long and that he has already written 13 and part of 14.

Now the question is can we all bug him to write chapters 21-100 0:)

I was so scared this was going to happen as well... im glad it didnt and would be very happy if this were the last chapter... i get uneasy every time somthing "dangerous" happens... cause i just know dan is gona kill our two most favorite characters in the world.... :/

The thing that worries me the most though is.... what if Davey dies... and BRIAN goes back in time this time to be with his lover!? DUN DUN DUN!

So this has to be the end.
A good chapter Dan. Not a lot os substance, but it showed everything settled and in place. Things are as we might hope they would be. Great work.

Oh ye of little faith. Know ye not that is when Dan is most likely to strike? Fasten your seat belts 'cause this ride ain't over yet! The excrement is about to meet the air mover.

Now the question is can we all bug him to write chapters 21-100

I have seen one version of the future beyond Davey and Do Over and I am praying for furition. Besides, Dan has promised to get back to my favorite story, Dawn of Tears once DIR is in the can - not that I have any more sway over him :wizard:

The thing that worries me the most though is.... what if Davey dies... and BRIAN goes back in time this time to be with his lover!? DUN DUN DUN!

Now that WOULD be a new twist

I imagine we've all been well trained to expect the worst! My money was on a sniper for most of the chapter, with a brief span where I expected a tragic car crash.

This would be a nice ending though. Very nice indeed. I am, however, glad it's not. ;)

Hello Bitstream! Welcome to the forums! I'm the unofficial, self-appointed welcomer and I noticed that this was your first post. So, Welcome!

I was expecting everything from snipers and car crashes, to Davey falling through the stage! What, me, paranoid? Nah... :P

I agree that chapter 12 would have been a great ending. I'm also delighted that it wasn't! :D

I know exactly what you mean, Cathy Ryan and Patriot Games ring any bells?

That was my first thought when that happened and when Dan spoke of the passing and such it seemed almost exactly what happened with CR in her sports car, I could see the scene replaying in my mind as she zipped in and out of traffic before being attacked. When that didn't materialize I was waiting for the activity to cause a crash. I think he does it on purpose, things have been going so good that I keep expecting the other shoe to drop. This definitely makes two chapters in a row for me.

As to Reagan you are right. I very much liked the man, even if I didn't agree with all of his stances on certain things you at least knew where he stood on matters and he wasn't afraid to tell you. And Dan was right he truly cared for people and thought things could be better tomorrow. I was turning 18 a few weeks after the 80 election and couldn't vote but I remember being very cynical about all politicians not liking any of them feeling that none of them would ever speak the truth about anything. Carter was a complete disaster and I didn't like any of them. I remember the first time that Reagan really stood out for me. I was watching the news one night and he had held a campaign stop in NYC in the slums with all these blacks screaming at him demanding to know what HE was going to do for THEM and he couldn't get a word in for nothing and I wasn't paying much attention to the story when all of a sudden I heard "If you'll shut up for a minute you might find out" and that brought me sitting upright in complete shock. Here was a man running for Pres and he just went off on these belligerent people. I was hooked forever more. Love him or hate him at least you knew his beliefs and where he stood on things.

Anyway thats my two cents :D

Ahhh, a fellow TC reader! He's one of my favorite authors!

I never voted for Reagan, as I was too young. I was a campaign volunteer, though.

What impressed me the most about him was his personal intervention in so many cases, everything from helping people with a personal gift of money, to personally ordering up air force transports when someone was in need of emergency help. He also (which impressed me even more) never made an issue or took credit for these very numerous acts of good-hearted humanity.

Don't think so. Dan has said previously that it was going to be around 20 chapters long and that he has already written 13 and part of 14.

Now the question is can we all bug him to write chapters 21-100 0:)

My strategy is to take the incremental approach. First, make Dan aware of the literary standard that demands that a sequel be at least as long as the prior stories. That means 40 chapters for DIR. Once he gets close to that, then we can worry about 40-100. :D

Oh ye of little faith. Know ye not that is when Dan is most likely to strike? Fasten your seat belts 'cause this ride ain't over yet! The excrement is about to meet the air mover.

I have seen one version of the future beyond Davey and Do Over and I am praying for furition. Besides, Dan has promised to get back to my favorite story, Dawn of Tears once DIR is in the can - not that I have any more sway over him :wizard:

Now that WOULD be a new twist

Hello Bitstream! Welcome to the forums! I'm the unofficial, self-appointed welcomer and I noticed that this was your first post. So, Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! Very warm indeed. ^_^

I'm afraid when Reagan was President, I was a good bit too young, generally speaking, to have developed any interest whatsoever in politics. I really haven't developed much of one by this point really. However, if the real man was anything like the picture Dan paints of him, he definitely sounds like the sort of person I'd want to see in the top seat in terms of character.

You know, I've not read much fiction set in "the real world". Especially not with so much of a political bent before. At least once I saw the name of one of the real people pop up in a news headline, Shevrenadze I think, and felt a weird momentary disconnect with reality. Of course, it doesn't happen with names I see every day.

It makes me wonder how close to reality his portrayals are, not being a student of political figures. Obviously some are more fictionalized than others. I was a good bit too young, generally speaking, to have developed any interest whatsoever in politics at the time, so I really have no idea what Reagan was like as a President, for instance. Certainly the picture Dan paints of him sounds like the sort of person I'd want to see in the top spot, as far as character and intent are concerned.

I'm afraid when Reagan was President, I was a good bit too young, generally speaking, to have developed any interest whatsoever in politics. I really haven't developed much of one by this point really. However, if the real man was anything like the picture Dan paints of him, he definitely sounds like the sort of person I'd want to see in the top seat in terms of character.

The discussion about the qualities of Reagan and the way you see it

Ahhh, a fellow TC reader! He's one of my favorite authors!

I never voted for Reagan, as I was too young. I was a campaign volunteer, though.

What impressed me the most about him was his personal intervention in so many cases, everything from helping people with a personal gift of money, to personally ordering up air force transports when someone was in need of emergency help. He also (which impressed me even more) never made an issue or took credit for these very numerous acts of good-hearted humanity.

My strategy is to take the incremental approach. First, make Dan aware of the literary standard that demands that a sequel be at least as long as the prior stories. That means 40 chapters for DIR. Once he gets close to that, then we can worry about 40-100. :D

I'd be happy with whatever he chooses to write, so I can't lose! :D

I do push for more chapters (or a sequel) for DIR, as my way of saying how much I love it. However, I'd love to see whatever Dan feels like giving us. Well, maybe not time-traveling Aardvarks, and there is a rumor that DK's next story is about exactly that.. 0:)

Yes love Clancy. In my alternate ending to 11 you may notice that the term "Sandstorm" is same as the SS code word that was used when Jack's children are attacked in the novel.

It used to be called class and he definitely had it.

Good plans now lets see if we can get them to work although I don't know about aardvarks though. :P

How many people in the States support the Klan Bush and his foreign policy ?

A lot fewer than two years ago. Iraq was his chance, he's blown it, and people aren't happy about it.

Thanks for the welcome! Very warm indeed. ^_^

You know, I've not read much fiction set in "the real world". Especially not with so much of a political bent before. At least once I saw the name of one of the real people pop up in a news headline, Shevrenadze I think, and felt a weird momentary disconnect with reality. Of course, it doesn't happen with names I see every day.

It makes me wonder how close to reality his portrayals are, not being a student of political figures. Obviously some are more fictionalized than others. I was a good bit too young, generally speaking, to have developed any interest whatsoever in politics at the time, so I really have no idea what Reagan was like as a President, for instance. Certainly the picture Dan paints of him sounds like the sort of person I'd want to see in the top spot, as far as character and intent are concerned.

Just my opinion, but the only part that I suspect Dan takes real liberties with is Reagan's acceptance of gays. I flat out don't know what Reagan's opinions were on this matter, so this is the one area where artistic licence might be being used.

The politics in Dan's stories are very interesting. I love politics, so that was one of the aspects that originally attracted me to them. Obviously, as the timelines progress and get further and further from the original "real world", more and more extrapolation and supposition must be used. Perhaps for that reason, I found the politics in the first DO the most accurate.

The discussion about the qualities of Reagan and the way you see it
Executive Orders (where that scene occurred) was my favorite of the Ryan series. I remembered "Sandstorm" very well indeed, as well as that attack on "Sandbox".

Yes I thought you would remember it. Thinking about DIR 12 and the freeway thing got me going on remembering Clancy and his scene about it and then when I wrote that alternate ending at the same time it just seemed to fit. The whole thing got Clancy on my mind that day. :D

I was kind of sorry to see him jump into the future and not continue to chronicle the Ryan years as Pres. I think it would have been quite interesting.

Yes I thought you would remember it. Thinking about DIR 12 and the freeway thing got me going on remembering Clancy and his scene about it and then when I wrote that alternate ending at the same time it just seemed to fit. The whole thing got Clancy on my mind that day. :D

I was kind of sorry to see him jump into the future and not continue to chronicle the Ryan years as Pres. I think it would have been quite interesting.

I'd have liked that, too. I wasn't all that fond of "Teeth of the Tiger", and so far I've heard nothing about any new TC books. The Op center series that bear his name aren't written by him, but I do hold out hope for a new TC book at some point.

This reminds me of when I first found the DO series, and started reading DO (which was complete by then). Once the Naval war began, and I got the the chapter with all the pictures and battle scenes, I literally said out loud "Oh my god, I've found the gay Tom Clancy!".

I've been hooked ever since...

I'd have liked that, too. I wasn't all that fond of "Teeth of the Tiger", and so far I've heard nothing about any new TC books. The Op center series that bear his name aren't written by him, but I do hold out hope for a new TC book at some point.

This reminds me of when I first found the DO series, and started reading DO (which was complete by then). Once the Naval war began, and I got the the chapter with all the pictures and battle scenes, I literally said out loud "Oh my god, I've found the gay Tom Clancy!".

I've been hooked ever since...

Supposedly after a quick search there is going to be a new novel of some kind released on 5/31/06. Amazon lists it as "New Clancy 1" and thats it. Wikipedia says it is going to be going back to Jack Ryan while numerous other sources say it is going to be a continuation of Teeth of the Tiger. So basically no one knows anything. Other rumors say there might be a second new novel released in June or July of this year as well although there is no information on it at all while one place says same month only in 2007. Supposedly they are making Without Remorse and Rainbow Six into movies for release in 2007 according to IMDB.

You're right about Dan his detail for the military stuff is very reminescent of TC's work.

1. Bob, you ask some great questions. You are also asking from the perspective of a foreigner who is legitimately curious regarding the American domestic situation.

2. BTW, one key difference between America and Switzerland is that you don't get to vote for your president. He's chosen for you by your Federal assembly (I forgot the correct term to use, sorry).

Hey James

THX a lot for your detailed answer.

2 points :

to 1. I'm not only curious, but what happens in USA today will come to us soon. I believe that the "American domestic situation" has a big influence on the "World domestic situation". For instance the problems of today with the "latinos" are just the US expression of the problems we have in Europa with the african people trying to get to our countries just to survive. We are in the same boat !

to 2 . not only the President but the whole government (7 people) is elected by the Federal assembly (the name is right). Another big difference : each member can be reelected many times. Now we have 2 minister left, 2 right and 3 centre. The elderst was elected for 12 years und he is still active !!!The decisions are made by mutual agreement, and if 100'000 citizen dont agree with the decisions of the Federal assembly, it will be a vote and the People decides.

BTW, there is no more gay bashing here. The catholic "cantons" are less gay-friendly than the others, but the PACS (civil form of gay mariage) is valid everywhere in Switzerland (we won, but the battle was hard).

Hey James

THX a lot for your detailed answer.

You are very welcome.. Just please bear in mind that many of the things I wrote are subjective: Like the blind men with the elephant, others may perceive the same things quite differently, and other people may have perceptions far different from mine.

to 1. I'm not only curious, but what happens in USA today will come to us soon. I believe that the "American domestic situation" has a big influence on the "World domestic situation". For instance the problems of today with the "latinos" are just the US expression of the problems we have in Europa with the african people trying to get to our countries just to survive. We are in the same boat !

There are a great many similarities in the various issues facing the US and Europe, and also the fact that what one does, often affects the other. I wish more Americans had an equivalent interest in what goes on in Europe, as in general Americans are far less informed about Europe than Europeans are about the US. My family is from the UK, so all my life I've visited Europe at least once a year. Often just the UK, but in many cases I include a few weeks in various regions of mainland Europe.

It's sadly true that the misperceptions on both sides of the Atlantic are numerous.

to 2 . not only the President but the whole government (7 people) is elected by the Federal assembly (the name is right). Another big difference : each member can be reelected many times. Now we have 2 minister left, 2 right and 3 centre. The elderst was elected for 12 years und he is still active !!!The decisions are made by mutual agreement, and if 100'000 citizen dont agree with the decisions of the Federal assembly, it will be a vote and the People decides. BTW, there is no more gay bashing here. The catholic "cantons" are less gay-friendly than the others, but the PACS (civil form of gay mariage) is valid everywhere in Switzerland (we won, but the battle was hard).

I like that provision to force a referendum on a national level! Here, most states have similar referendum (called ballot measure or initiative) systems, but there is nothing like it at the national level.

You say that is in every Canton, even in the Romanish ones??? I'm very impressed! The US is far behind in that area as we only have civil marriage in some areas.