[LittleBuddhaTW] When I See You Again (New Story)

This was supposed to be my entry for the Summer Anthology, but I suddenly had an entirely different idea the other night, so this has been relegated to the back burner, for now. However, I'm posting what I have written so far here (please keep in mind that Kitty has not edited this yet!), and see if anyone thinks I should continue on with this one, or just trash it.

The two new short stories I'm working on are my first attempts at writing third-person narrative, one of which will be the entry for the Summer Anthology, and another one is a potentionally controversial piece that I may or may not post ... I'll have to wait until I've finished and see what Kitty things, and maybe a couple of beta readers as well.

Anyway, here is what I've written so far of "When I See You Again." Let me know what you think, and if you think it's worth continuing at some point (although it would be after I've finished SOOTB and my other two short stories, and perhaps even after I've started my new serial novel, "My Elusive Drug.)

----------------------------------------

WHEN I SEE YOU AGAIN

by Little BuddhaTW

Copyright 2006. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by LittleBuddhaTW

I've been thinking, and I just mentioned in my blog that I may change this concept from a short story to a serial, and make it sort of like my "writer's block story," to work on every now and then when other projects are frustrating me. The only problem with doing that, though, is that I wouldn't have a regular posting schedule, and there are other things that I'm working on (and would like to work on) that take precedence in my mind. BUT ... I've come up with a lot of other ideas as far as this story goes that could make it into a 10-15 chapter novel as opposed to just a short story. We'll have to see where the creative wind takes me ... :P

I like it so far - though it is a bit... short to really tell yet. Well, that - and I really wonder how sound Corey is if he likes that dkstories guy's writings...

Oh well...

I like it so far - though it is a bit... short to really tell yet. Well, that - and I really wonder how sound Corey is if he likes that dkstories guy's writings...

Oh well...

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Yeah, I found that part of the story very hard to believe.. 0:)

Perhaps it could have been written so that Corey is reading something online, then does the whole crazed internet stalker routine by asking the writer out for coffee, then a movie, and next thing you know, they have been together as a couple for a year.. Nah, that's way too far-fetched... 0:)0:)0:)0:)0:)

(J/k!!)

This looks promising. The characters are interesting and I can tell I'm going to like them.

Only do me a favor, okay: don't do that thing where the urban protagonist discovers that the Heart of America Is In Its Rural Small Towns -- just let the story be about the specific people involved?

Actually, I trust you to do that, based on what I've read so far. Just wanted to blow off steam about what I've been running into elsewhere.

Only do me a favor, okay: don't do that thing where the urban protagonist discovers that the Heart of America Is In Its Rural Small Towns -- just let the story be about the specific people involved?

Actually, I trust you to do that, based on what I've read so far. Just wanted to blow off steam about what I've been running into elsewhere.

Could you elaborate, please? I'm curious ...

This looks promising. The characters are interesting and I can tell I'm going to like them.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I for one rather like a rural setting.

I live, by choice, 30 miles from the nearest town (unless you count ghost towns). I like a rural setting for a story as there is so much more to do, such as interesting places for the characters to visit (swimming holes, forests, hiking, etc, etc). It's also nice seeing normal things such neighbors you actually know and not having to lock your doors instead of the city equivalent of pervasive crime and anonymity.

I may be a bit biased here because what you describe regarding the urban protagonist is part of my own history. I spent most of my life in cities, until I finally discovered that life really is better (for me) even though it certainly does have some drawbacks. In my case, I'm gay, mainly out, and living in a very homophobic area, but like everything in life, it's a trade-off, and I highly doubt I'll ever want to live in a city again.

As for the location of the "heart of America", I'd certainly say it's more apt to be found in small towns than in big cities. But to each, their own.

I'm going to elaborate, but first, I want to emphasize I'm not looking for a fight. It's a sort of cultural and sort of political and sort of esthetic thing I've been noticing. Oh another thing I want to say before I start is that I live in a place which itself is neither urban nor rural nor suburban or maybe it's all three: a fairly sophisticated college town in a region which is largely agricultural, with chunks of wilderness, very close to a major urban center. So I don't have a position about what's better, urban or rural. I have affection for city, town, country, and wilderness, all of them.

But when you look at the more reactionary news and culture venues they'll frequently do this thing where they "get back to the breal America" and it's some old white guys, my age or older, sitting around a small-town coffee shop with a view of fields out the window. And they're expressing some completely bizarre nostalgic point of view that doesn't reflect anything but the most right-wing propaganda about what the country supposedly was all about at some time or another. But why are they the "real" America? (at this point I cut a long disquisition on the demographics of America).

They are real people, that's true. But they're not realer than anyone else. We're all real.

Another place I notice this is in mass market print romances, which I've been delving into lately for various reasons. There's frequently this woman who's fleeing a false and unsatisfying life in the city and she ends up ina perfectly awful-sounding "perfect" small town and all her problems are solved by meeting the right man with an extended rural family.

Now, I have to repeat: I don't expect this to be a problem here. I expect this story to be, like the other "Little Buddha" stories I have come to love, a story about specific people in a specific situation -- real, true people, for all that they're fiction. I just accidentally tripped my own trigger, and in public.

I don't think it's even a problem if our little goth guy decides he likes the country and wants to stay there forever, because that's something that some real people really do.

(here's a story that expresses how I truly feel about the country and the city:city-mouse-country-mouse)

And to repeat, I really like the story so far: I think that our little goth guy and his cousin and his aunt ar e all interesting people, so far.

I'm going to elaborate, but first, I want to emphasize I'm not looking for a fight. It's a sort of cultural and sort of political and sort of esthetic thing I've been noticing. Oh another thing I want to say before I start is that I live in a place which itself is neither urban nor rural nor suburban or maybe it's all three: a fairly sophisticated college town in a region which is largely agricultural, with chunks of wilderness, very close to a major urban center. So I don't have a position about what's better, urban or rural. I have affection for city, town, country, and wilderness, all of them.

But when you look at the more reactionary news and culture venues they'll frequently do this thing where they "get back to the breal America" and it's some old white guys, my age or older, sitting around a small-town coffee shop with a view of fields out the window. And they're expressing some completely bizarre nostalgic point of view that doesn't reflect anything but the most right-wing propaganda about what the country supposedly was all about at some time or another. But why are they the "real" America? (at this point I cut a long disquisition on the demographics of America).

They are real people, that's true. But they're not realer than anyone else. We're all real.

Another place I notice this is in mass market print romances, which I've been delving into lately for various reasons. There's frequently this woman who's fleeing a false and unsatisfying life in the city and she ends up ina perfectly awful-sounding "perfect" small town and all her problems are solved by meeting the right man with an extended rural family.

Now, I have to repeat: I don't expect this to be a problem here. I expect this story to be, like the other "Little Buddha" stories I have come to love, a story about specific people in a specific situation -- real, true people, for all that they're fiction. I just accidentally tripped my own trigger, and in public.

I don't think it's even a problem if our little goth guy decides he likes the country and wants to stay there forever, because that's something that some real people really do.

(here's a story that expresses how I truly feel about the country and the city:city-mouse-country-mouse)

And to repeat, I really like the story so far: I think that our little goth guy and his cousin and his aunt ar e all interesting people, so far.

I really liked your thoughts on this, Lucy. I guess I'd have to say I favour the city in the long run, but actually a summer in the country sounds nice. I grew up in a medium sized town and went out to some of our property in the country on an almost daily basis. It was fun, the country does contain quite a few charms. Eventually though I'd probably need the city life.

I really like this story so far, David, in fact I'm sorry to hear that even if you do continue it, it's going to be on the backburner. Still you know best, and I like your other work as well. One thing which no one has commented on yet that I thought was a little disturbing. Isn't Jackson Corey's second cousin? I guess that's not that closely related, but there's still a little "ick" factor there (just for me) if there's going to be a relationship.

Anyway I looke forward to seeing what happens with this story! Take care and have a great day everyone!

Kevin

One thing which no one has commented on yet that I thought was a little disturbing. Isn't Jackson Corey's second cousin? I guess that's not that closely related, but there's still a little "ick" factor there (just for me) if there's going to be a relationship.

I believe I mentioned that they were "something like fourth cousins," although I may have left out that part. I'll have to go back and check, because that's something I wanted to stress ... I'm not into the whole incest thing, either ... well, unless they're as hot as Edison Chen (a popular Mando-pop singer), then all bets are off! :P

I've been working hard on getting the next few chapters of SOOTB written and off to Kitty so that I'll have a little extra time to knock out my entry for the Summer Anthology, but you can expect the first full chapter of "When I See You Again" to be posted somewhere around the time SOOTB is ending. Depending on the response, and my "creative inspiration," it could be a regular serial like SOOTB, or I may just write chapters from time to time in between chapters of the other serial I'm planning. I haven't decided yet, but will keep everyone posted. :D

*Hugz*

Buddha

LBTW,

I loved what I've read so far and I hope you make this a serial novel. If you really want to make this your writers block storyline, (and I can't believe that I'm saying this....) maybe you should do exactly that and just start releasing the chapters when you're done with it... either way, I hope you continue with this story.

Steve (who's hiding behind a tree to avoid the things being thrown at him) :P

I'm not looking for a fight either, I just find this idea interesting.

I do see your point, but personally I consider the stereotypical small town to be just as much "real America" as any urban location.

Sounds to me like we see things the same way in that aspect. :boy:

Well, I can certainly see your point there! I have no knowlede of that literary genre, but I certainly often see firsthand that rural life is often inclined to be very sexist and bigoted, with women treated as second-class citizens. This isn't always true by any means, but I see it often enough to keep my disgust fresh regarding that aspect.

I just accidentally tripped my own trigger, and in public.

I can empathize.. Being someone who loves rural life, in spite of it's faults, my own trigger is the media and cultural perception that I often see: that basically everything is city-oriented.

Thanks for the link to the story! I liked it!

:great: The snipit you've provided is interesting - and I would like to see this developed into a short story. I've come to enjoy your writing style, the care with which you develop a story and your presentation of characters. Please keep writing :2thumbs: