The Drop in Centre

16 hours ago, chris191070 said:

@kbois thanks for an amazing story in the Secret Author.

The only one I guessed correctly.

It was brilliant, wasn't it.. i had hoped it would win.  Lots of great stories and ideas came out of this. i'm glad for everyone.

• Love 2

If you get the chance to watch The Sixth Commandment, don't miss it.  Rachel Cooke from The Guardian said this about it:

It’s hard to imagine better television – more dignified, more noticing – than The Sixth Commandment, which began last week on BBC1.

Mostly, I loathe true crime. To make entertainment of the horrifying acts of a Dennis Nilsen or a Jeffrey Dahmer isn’t just gratuitously exploitative; it can only bring more pain to those who loved the men they killed.

But this drama about Peter Farquhar, a retired schoolteacher who was murdered in 2015 by Benjamin Field, a man about 40 years his junior, is of a different order altogether. More interested in Field’s victims than in his crimes – he also preyed on Farquhar’s elderly neighbour, Ann Moore-Martin – its screenwriter, Sarah Phelps, attends fully to the loneliness of old age, and by doing so, asks difficult questions of us all.

But there’s something else. In a series replete with brilliant actors – Anne Reid and Éanna Hardwicke are astonishing as Moore-Martin and Field – Timothy Spall’s turn as Farquhar, a closeted gay man, stands out, not so much a performance as an inhabitation. It is extraordinary: beautiful, and moving. Here, you think, is an actor who can do just about anything, his empathy a kind of skeleton key, there to unlock even the most complicated human being.

Will this role, for which he’s surely destined to win awards, drive a decisive nail into the coffin of the fashionable conviction that actors should only be cast as characters whose sexuality matches their own? I hope fervently that it will.

Every line Spall speaks stands as a reminder that finding an affinity with another person, however different they may be from yourself, is what both acting, and leading a decent life, are all about.

It took me awhile to get over this one.. it was incredibly well done and acted. i don't know how you cannot be moved by it.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

If you get the chance to watch The Sixth Commandment, don't miss it

This was brilliant. Best portrayal of police I've seen for a very long time. A sad story but it does not glorify the perpetrator of these crimes instead we learn about the people who were his victims. It's a moving story and one I recommend watching.  

• Love 3

Ok, tim, I have a banking question for you.

Why do I need to show my ID to make a CASH deposit with a pre printed deposit slip?  Do people really go around making deposits into strangers accounts, using the slips that come with the checks. Then the twit teller wanted my debit card besides!

If I wanted to make a deposit thru an ATM, I would have used the drive up!

• Like 2
  • Wow 3
5 hours ago, Kitt said:

Ok, tim, I have a banking question for you.

Why do I need to show my ID to make a CASH deposit with a pre printed deposit slip?  Do people really go around making deposits into strangers accounts, using the slips that come with the checks. Then the twit teller wanted my debit card besides!

If I wanted to make a deposit thru an ATM, I would have used the drive up!

Oh, now you're talking. No banks here use deposit slips any longer as far as i know, maybe for business accounts. Here you have a banking card and if you want to deposit you stick that in the reader next to the teller and click on the account you want to deposit to and hand over the money.  Sort of like an ABM but with a person.

Normally, they do not need more ID unless something's happening that's a bit off. 

If you wanted to deposit to your son's account for example, you would have to provide the bank with his account number and address as they will not look that info up. They may ask for some ID at that point.

But your situation sounds a bit like over kill. Again, unless there's been some kind of weird fraud happening. Then banks tend to get a little crazy.

• Like 1

Hope everyone is well.

I think I've finally gone crazy.

I get to work 10 days of 10hr, all because 2 staff resigned.

Mark's (hubby) reaction was I'm not aloud to mention with a few other choice words about work.

I'll still be around. 

Take care all and see you soon.

• Wow 2
On 7/27/2023 at 10:55 PM, Mikiesboy said:

If you get the chance to watch The Sixth Commandment, don't miss it.  Rachel Cooke from The Guardian said this about it:

It’s hard to imagine better television – more dignified, more noticing – than The Sixth Commandment, which began last week on BBC1.

Mostly, I loathe true crime. To make entertainment of the horrifying acts of a Dennis Nilsen or a Jeffrey Dahmer isn’t just gratuitously exploitative; it can only bring more pain to those who loved the men they killed.

tim, i have been unable to find it here in the USA.  Streaming Services do not have this yet might have tried the BBC web site to watch this. i have placed this on my Watch list when it does come out. i have tried all the Major Services Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV 
Has anyone had any luck finding it? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, rickproehl said:

tim, i have been unable to find it here in the USA.  Streaming Services do not have this yet might have tried the BBC web site to watch this. i have placed this on my Watch list when it does come out. i have tried all the Major Services Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV 

If you have the britBox service it seems like you can.  

• Like 3
8 hours ago, rickproehl said:

you can always do what we do and pinch it from somewhere.. lol

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, chris191070 said:

Hope everyone is well.

I think I've finally gone crazy.

I get to work 10 days of 10hr, all because 2 staff resigned.

Mark's (hubby) reaction was I'm not aloud to mention with a few other choice words about work.

I'll still be around. 

Take care all and see you soon.

Geez, i'm with Mark!  you take care too

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

thanks for this tim today I needed this

oddly, so did i .. badly. And there it was.  hope you are doing okay, rick.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

oddly, so did i .. badly. And there it was.  hope you are doing okay, rick.

tim, thanks ,

this illness i have been dealing with has me struggling. the doc and wound care says all looks good.  it’s been 2 years and still have the same issues. taking it one day at a time. 

take care and thanks again.

• Sad 3
1 hour ago, rickproehl said:

tim, thanks ,

this illness i have been dealing with has me struggling. the doc and wound care says all looks good.  it’s been 2 years and still have the same issues. taking it one day at a time. 

i know as we age things don't heal as quickly. i'm glad your doc and support team are saying it's looking good. keep on looking after yourself! 

i'm gonna be 40 (how i don't know) this december and i notice a difference. Michael does too, He's a couple of years older than me and well, He's diabetic too, so that causes issues with healing.

you keep on doing what you can, eat well and sleep well as possible. We are all routing for you!!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, rickproehl said:

tim, thanks ,

One day at a time is the best way to approach it. Take the wins where you can and know that the not-so-good days will get better. We're all sending lots of good, healing thoughts your way!

56 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

i know as we age things don't heal as quickly. i'm glad your doc and support team are saying it's looking good. keep on looking after yourself! 

i'm gonna be 40 (how i don't know) this december and i notice a difference. Michael does too, He's a couple of years older than me and well, He's diabetic too, so that causes issues with healing.

you keep on doing what you can, eat well and sleep well as possible. We are all routing for you!!

I miss 40. Lol

I swear, I take better care of my car when it breaks down. It's easier to find parts too. Which reminds me... I need to call the imaging center and make an appointment for an MRI for my hip. It's not screaming at me anymore, but it does whimper pathetically. 

I hope everyone has a good day!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mikiesboy said:

ii'm gonna be 40 (how i don't know) this december and i notice a difference. Michael does too, He's a couple of years older than me and well, He's diabetic too, so that causes issues with healing.

heck I miss 60 ….. i know it takes a while to heal. thanks for the well wishes and good thoughts. it feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back. taking the wins and the good days. 

• Love 3
  • Site Moderator
5 hours ago, rickproehl said:

tim, thanks ,

:hug: take care, rick.

• Love 3

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..