Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Good morning all! :hug:

I took delivery of a new cooker this morning that I had ordered well before I went to England, but had actually been out of stock at the time. When the delivery man rang to say he was on his way he explained that, due to the covid-19 scare, he would only place it just inside my front door. The same guy had delivered a fridge freezer and a washing machine about a month ago, and had wheeled them both into place for me. I could understand the fact that he wasn't willing to fully enter my house on this occasion. Indeed I wasn't even sure he would deliver at all until after the present Government restrictions have been lifted.

As I had received a text message on Tuesday to confirm the delivery would be made today, I had disconnected the old cooker yesterday. The delivery guy told me this morning on the phone that he could still take it away for me for recycling, but that I would need to move it close to the front door. That was no problem, so the new cooker duly arrived, and the old one was taken away.

So far, so good...

I managed to move the new unit into the kitchen, and proceeded to remove all the packaging. That was when I found out that there was no power cable with it. I then proceeded to metaphorically kicked myself, as I had disconnected the cable from the old cooker at the wall outlet rather than from the back of the cooker itself. And, of course, that old cooker with the length of essential cable still attached, was now in the back of the delivery van on its way to be recycled.

So I'm not able to actually connect the new cooker until I manage to find a shop where I can purchase a length of the correct sized power cable.

The Government announced on Tuesday that all non-essential retail outlets were to close from yesterday morning until further notice. Fortunately Item 12 of the list of 14 essential retail outlets that are allowed stay open (subject to them putting proper social distancing policies in place to ensure adequate distancing between customers and retail assistants) states: "Hardware stores, builders' merchants and stores that provide hardware products necessary for home and business maintenance, sanitation and farm equipment, supplies and tools essential for gardening / farming / agriculture."

Looks like I'm going to have to Google for hardware stores and then ring around to find out which ones are open before I'll be able to get the new cooker up and running. Hopefully I'll find one that accepts contactless payment. I worry about the exchange of notes and coins, or having to type my PIN number into a card reader. (Mental note to self: Gloves! Bring gloves, just in case.)

Fortunately this cooker is for the new house, and I have another working one in the house I'm currently renting. 

Morning, Marty. :hug:  Just a minor setback. I love hearing about your progress with the new place. :) 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

:facepalm:  But at least you'll get a new power cable, so no need to worry about any defects. But how did you manage to move the cookers ?

Morning, Tim. :hug: 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Albert1434 said:

Oh my God egg prices have risen 180% Bastards:pissed:

And I'm sure the little farmer and his chickens won't see a dime of this rise :no:

• Wow 1
  • Sad 3

18 hours ago, Headstall said:

Love this song! 

I have a version of the music performed by a ensemble that plays on the renfaire curcuit. They use a variety of middle eastern and folk instruments. As a result it very much sounds like a renaissance period piece.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Headstall said:

Morning, Marty. :hug:  Just a minor setback. I love hearing about your progress with the new place. :) 

What he loves most is that by packing off the power cable with the old cooker you did something very like what he (or I) might. There's comfort in that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dughlas said:

What he loves most is that by packing off the power cable with the old cooker you did something very like what he (or I) might. There's comfort in that.

Hey, Dugh, Mum, and Thistle.   :hug:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Just now, Marty said:

curry.jpg

The final results. The unlabelled one at the front will be part of tonight's dinner. :) 

I see by reading the labels on your herbs that you're a devotee of Simon and Garfunkel.  

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme ...

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..