Open Club  ·  136 members  ·  Free

Headstall's Paddock

CoTT 2 House of Cards

Kitt

3 hours ago, clochette said:

Dear native english speaking friends (sorry Nicky though you can answer too, it'll still be interesting to know the answer for Spanish speaking people), 

Around what age do english speaking kids start to read? Not necessarily full words fluently or even sentences but starting to decode words?

In France kids start to decode syllabes around 5 and to decode words amd then reading fluently words around 6 years old but lately I've been reading the work of Celine Alvarez about a new, more intuitive method and it's blowing my mind! Kids start decoding words around 3!

Now I'm also wondering how Gary, Albert and Terry did to learn to read when books didn't exist yet when they were that age... 🤔 :gikkle:

Okay... wasn't going to say anything, but I was actually writing, as in actually writing, not printing, before I started school. I remember my mother talking about my aunt(who babysat us during the day) who told her I was reading as a young child, not just looking at pictures. I don't know how young I was, but it was shocking to both of them. 

I started writing on my own, and that was another shock to them. My first year at school... I was five... in a little one room schoolhouse, the teacher saw my writing in a scribbler (what we called a little book of pages) and asked me to print something on the blackboard, which was actually on the side wall of the school. I don't think she believed it was my writing. Anyway, I wrote a sentence or something on the board, but I wrote it upside down... I didn't print it... and she later told my mother something was wrong with me. Of course my mom set her straight. I taught myself to write, and being left-handed, I had my hand turned so the page was upside down... and that's what I did on the blackboard. 

I'm not saying I'm exceptional, but I was an incredibly bright child according to all my relatives. Unfortunately, an unstable family life made any smarts I had take a backseat to surviving. When we moved up to Ontario, I used to visit a bookmobile and take out four books in the morning and read them, and then take them back by four when it closed, and take out four more so I'd have something to read until the following Saturday. I was probably seven or eight then. A mean librarian lady who took over stopped me from doing that. She said it was four a week... imagine discouraging a kid from reading... evil witch. So... I think I was reading as early as three... four at the latest.

• Love 5

2 minutes ago, bignick said:

:hug:

Oh, so you're a critic now. <_< Wait until you read my next piece: Drewmpelstiltskin. -_-

Don't worry. He's going to betray me soon enough. :gikkle:

Who me😁 So fun watching you losers!

8FekIrNGpbeKH4X07XhpU=

Edited by Albert1434
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, Drew Espinosa said:

The rebel alliance is breaking apart! :D

Season 3 Netflix GIF by Stranger Things

Hey Drewster,

Did you have another scary nightmare?  Your comment is a very common first reaction to a nightmare when waking up.  

• Haha 4

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..