25th Anniversary of Babylon 5

No matter how many times I've attempted to get into this show (and I've tried multiple times since it first screened) I just can't get into it. Firefly (Nathan Fillion does nothing for me) is just like Babylon 5, in that neither show works for me, and people well like both.

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Ron said:

No matter how many times I've attempted to get into this show (and I've tried multiple times since it first screened) I just can't get into it. Firefly (Nathan Fillion does nothing for me) is just like Babylon 5, in that neither show works for me, and people well like both.

Have you ever tried Stargate Atlantis series? it sort of the middle ground between Star Trek episodic and Babylon 5 space opera epic.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, W_L said:

Have you ever tried Stargate Atlantis series? it sort of the middle ground between Star Trek episodic and Babylon 5 space opera epic.

I watched this series years ago when it was on the Sci-Fi channel back before it became the SyFy channel, I believe. Now I'm rewatching an episode or so through Amazon Prime video on my iPad during dinner each day. I liked the show then and I'm enjoying watching now, though that Rodney gets on my nerves every now and again because he just won't shut up. I laugh writing that but the character can become annoying at times.

Otherwise, I enjoyed watching the Stargate SG-1 series and its various spinoffs and the movies -- including the original movie starring Curt Russell and James Spader that inspired it all (of which I've watched many times).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ron said:

I watched this series years ago when it was on the Sci-Fi channel back before it became the SyFy channel, I believe. Now I'm rewatching an episode or so through Amazon Prime video on my iPad during dinner each day. I liked the show then and I'm enjoying watching now, though that Rodney gets on my nerves every now and again because he just won't shut up. I laugh writing that but the character can become annoying at times.

Otherwise, I enjoyed watching the Stargate SG-1 series and its various spinoffs and the movies -- including the original movie starring Curt Russell and James Spader that inspired it all (of which I've watched many times).

Rodney, and his actor David Hewlett, are Canadian with comic relief built-in characterization :D

Anyway, Stargate series to me has the military structure of the Babylon 5 with Star Trek like exploration and lingering arc plots that focus on "big-bad" each season like Buffy.

Babylon 5's appeal to me was that the opponent was OP, you knew from the get go that no matter how strong the characters get or how many ships go into battle, they can't beat back a Shadow armada (and Vorlon armada in climatic battle). These were younger races fighting against giants in the playground with slingshots, while the other guys had nukes.

The story was never about winning the war, but winning the ideology of what you were fighting for; Good and Evil were bias perspectives, the only way all the species could get out of fighting was to rise above it and seek a new reason to fight, a new reason to live and die. 

Babylon 5 defied dichotomy and sought to push the boundaries of new truths.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

I loved the knock on Star Trek in that episode (This was up against Star Trek Deep Space Nine).

• Love 1
  • 4 months later...
On 3/21/2019 at 1:44 PM, Myr said:

I loved the knock on Star Trek in that episode (This was up against Star Trek Deep Space Nine).

There is a rumor going around the interwebs, that JMS pitched Babylon 5 to CBS executives and they declined his story treatment. And then shortly afterwards, they launched a new Star Trek series that eerily mirrored Babylon 5 with a Star Trek twist.  Both were centered around a Space Station. Both had war at the core of their narrative, both had action oriented story arcs with take charge captains. Though, Babylon 5, in my opinion, beat out Deep Space Nine in terms of longer story arcs with universal stakes that overshadowed anything DS9 accomplished.  I also believe that JMS holds the record for writing the most episodes in a row, I believe he wrote half of season three and the entire season four. 

On 1/25/2019 at 8:36 PM, Ron said:

I understand how you can't seem to get inside the show, even as a huge fan of B5, the first season is really hard to get into. Though in the back half of the first season, they start hitting their stride, it really isn't until season two when the main story kicks off. Though JMS pays off the tediousness of the first season with amazing call-backs in season three that makes the first season pretty amazing. I have watched the show from start to finish six times.  Season three is pretty good but season four is one amazing episode after another. 

I would almost say if you ever try to watch it again, skip the majority of the first season and start with Episode 18 of Season one, A Voice in The Wilderness Part One & Part Two, and then the rest of season one. If that doesn't work, then Babylon 5 just isn't for you. The majority of the lore of Babylon 5 really starts with Episode 18. and move forward. 

J

• Like 1
  • Love 2