Writing a Non-Fantasy/Sci-Fi Story

Hello, fellow writers! I recently posted the first chapter of a story that does not include any elements of fantasy or science fiction. I found this endeavor initially very challenging since I've only been writing stories that included these elements for several years. I think the reason is my stories have always been plot-based with the fantasy/sci-fi elements contributing to the continuation of the plot. So, without those elements, I found it very difficult to create a story that was a slice of life with the characters moving the story along rather than the plot. However, I think I'm getting a handle on it and hopefully this story will be just as exciting to write as the other stories I've posted on this site.

So, here's my question: Are you an avid fantasy or sci-fi writer who has attempted to write a story without the need for those elements? And if so, did you find it challenging? I'd really like to read other people's responses to this topic since one could assume that writing a story without the complexity of witches, ghosts, or aliens would make it easier to complete. I think that is untrue in my case, but I'd like to hear what you all have to say. 🙂

• Like 4

Of the three stories I have posted on GA, only one is sci-fi and it was by far a much bigger endeavor involving a lot of research and work.  The other two were work but a lot less. World building was a massive project.

• Like 3

I have written lots of things both fantasy and i guess you'd call it 'real life' fiction.  But i just write whatever the story is ... wherever it is.  My last was a fantasy, but it just flowed beautifully. In a way it was easier than real world stuff. I think i find real harder because it has to be right. I am big on lots of research, so that's part of why it is more difficult i guess.

• Like 3
On 10/16/2019 at 11:22 PM, Superpride said:

Are you an avid fantasy or sci-fi writer who has attempted to write a story without the need for those elements? And if so, did you find it challenging?

I published for the first time a story which received quite a negative response, I'm still writing it, and it's understandable that it isn't a fantastic masterpiece. I like it though, and enjoy writing it. What it does not have is a plot, it's entirely character driven, with a portrait of incidents in the lives of a group of twenty something's.

In contrast, I completed my first short book, Milo, which has a plot and storylines, a beginning, a middle, and an end. So the story is driven forward by a mixture of events and the unravelling or revealing of the plot.

Writing a story with a plot, for myself, is being an author and writing a book. It's difficult, but to answer your question, is it challenging, or more difficult outside the the world of Sci-fi and fantasy? No, I don't think it is. Whether you are creating a story set in a future world, or another alternative reality, or a real life drama, the challenge is to have a good plot and characters that your readers become immersed in and find believable. 

The best stories are those where we love the characters, adore the unexpected plot twists, and savour the language used to create the story, the images and descriptions. After all you're not just telling a story, you're painting a picture in your readers mind!

• Like 3

I love reading Science Fiction and Fantasy stories. A lot of my personal work that is not published are in those genres, and generally it's something I default to when I do practice pieces. The bulk of my non-GA reading is in these genres as well. On GA I've been reading a diverse collection of stories, and poetry, and its been affecting how I write. 

I have a series of contemporary dramas set in my hometown. Something I never thought I would do. I like it and love the characters and storyline. Just really different from what I normally do.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I adore fantasy and sci-fi, but I'm terrible at writing it. Out of my forty-seven stories on this site, nine have SSF elements, and all but two of those are fanfic. I want to write fantasy, sci-fi and speculative fiction, and I've had several ideas with tentative beginnings, but so far none have come to fruition. Maybe one day.

EDIT: Well, one has come to fruition recently, and will appear in the upcoming anthology, lol!

Edited by Thorn Wilde
  • Like 2