Explanation sought (English Language)

Any English teachers, editors, or other persons who could explain (clearly) the difference between envision and vision?

I do not understand the explanation found online:

Envision is a synonym of vision.

As verbs the difference between envision and vision

is that envision is to conceive or see something within one's mind to imagine while vision is to imagine something as if it were to be true.

The two words seem to me to have no difference in meaning, to conceive or see something within one's mind is to imagine something (as if it were true)?

• Like 1

A person can envision something even if they know it is simply a construct, not something that is actually true.  A vision is usually of something that actually or can exist in nature or the physical world.  Sci-fi writers have to envision their world and build it for others to envision it even though it is all speculation, albeit it might be based somewhat on science. 

• Like 4
10 hours ago, drpaladin said:

You can envision walking your dog when you get home. In contrast, the invisible dog only you can see would be the use of vision.

Wouldn't this be the other way around. Envision is the imaginary dog, vision is the real world?

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator
8 hours ago, Talo Segura said:

Wouldn't this be the other way around. Envision is the imaginary dog, vision is the real world?

No. With envision you would be dealing with ideas or concepts which are or at least may be possible. With vision you you are only dealing with belief. A magician can envision a new illusion and create it, what the audience sees is the vision part. Mere belief doesn't make something concrete.

When you are creating characters, scenes, and plots for a story, this is envisioning. When you have it on the page, it is concrete. However, if you start thinking what you have written actually exists in the real world, it is vision. Go back and read the definition again. The key difference hinges on belief.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Love 1

I am only really talking here about the way that I envision the two words in my own mind...

In my mind envision is a verb whilst vision is a noun. 

Admittedly, dictionary.com does say that vision could be used as a verb, but (a) they define it as having the meaning to envision (or to picture mentally), and (b) the example they give only uses it in its infinitive form: "She tried to vision herself in a past century." Any attempt to conjugate that verb (I vision, you vision, he visions, etc) just wouldn't sound right to me. I would either have used envision, or possibly something much simpler (such as see), if I were to have used that dictionary.com example.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/vision

(Just my 2 cents)

Edited by Marty
  • Like 1

The two words are closely related.  To my mind, ENVISION indicates more imagination than VISION, which indicates something more concrete.  Although VISION can also indicate imagination.

Harry talked in terms so concrete that his audience clearly understood his vision.

Harry envisioned the concept so clearly he had no trouble describing it to those who would need to share that vision.

Clear as mud?

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 5:36 PM, Hstrychsr said:

The two words are closely related.  To my mind, ENVISION indicates more imagination than VISION, which indicates something more concrete.  Although VISION can also indicate imagination.

Harry talked in terms so concrete that his audience clearly understood his vision.

Harry envisioned the concept so clearly he had no trouble describing it to those who would need to share that vision.

Clear as mud?

Not sure whether it's clear as mud... ;) 

But I do notice that in your italicised examples above you use the word envision as a verb and the word vision (twice) as a noun.

Which is exactly what I said I understood to be the difference between them in my previous reply.

• Like 1