[Jack Frost] Moving On

:lol: That sock comment cracked me up, glad mom never went thru my stuff, Yes Steph must shave :P

On last chapter (4), finally they kissed :D

Sorry I haven't reviewed in awhile.

Edited by Drewbie
  • Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just gave me an idea. I needed that. :devil:

I dunno who could tutor him...I know it's not you!!! ;)

And thanks CJ...I'll catch up with your story later. :D

hmm, Steph may be getting "tutored" in French AND biology if he plays his cards right. :P

I liked the dialogue with Mom too. Mom's can be such nosy creatures. I'll never forget the time mine found my dil--. (oops!) :*)

Hugs,

Rick

Well done, oh frosty one! :2thumbs:

That french lesson was superb! That was a very unique and endearing way of leading into what they did! :2thumbs:

The interruption was hilarious!! :2thumbs:

However, that noise in the bathroom seems decidedly ominous! :devil: My bet is that someone overheard them.

I really enjoyed Ben's backstory. It fits very well, and certainly plays into the title.

Great chapter! :2thumbs:

That French lesson was superb! That was a very unique and endearing way of leading into what they did! :2thumbs:

As a language teacher, I'm interested in the validity of these teaching methods.

Pros: for acquiring vocabulary, having words used in context is positive. They're used in a meaningful environment for the learner, hence it should help him to memorize the vocab.

The vocabulary is also presented in a playful manner, in a learner-friendly environment. The only possible problem could arise if the class is interrupted too often, or if the learner is too worried by the possible coming of Ben's mom. So a place with insured intimacy would be better for further lessons.

The phonetics training is done relatively well, as learning to say "u" is difficult. Based on Ben's previous remarks in other chapters, I have no doubt he will use yet another body part to help out with this difficult sound. My favorite sentence for practicing is "Le bus est dans la rue, Luc!" (The bus is in the sreet, Luc), but I'd bet Beno

Kknew you would enjoy it C James, as usual. :devil:

As a French major student who may be a French teacher...I dealt with any ways of learning a language...I agree with you well with the pro's and con's.

However, one must take into consideration about foreign languages teaching in US high schools. Based on my experience there when I took three years of French and a year of German...the books are rather...messy...they depend a lot on set up phrases for a set situation for each chapter (like, traveling to France for Ch 1, going to a market for Ch 2, going to a cafe for Ch 3)

Now that's my way of learning a language :devil: Cj might be correct, chicks always go to the bathroom to freshen up :P

My great grandmother wanted to teach mom how to speak Italian, but wouldn't let her, she leanred as a little kid, but didn't let her advanced. some just believe in one lang, Most two lang that is spoken near me is Spanish and English, there used to be Italian and French near me at one, still teach German. I agree Jack, Alot of the books aren't the best, best is to speak with a french speaker or whatever the lang is. I think it's important to learn a couple of lang, One day I would like to learn more, although I have a hard time picking things up sighs, anyways another great chapter.

anyways another great chapter.

I think that's very important, since the above posts might give the potential reader the wrong idea. Language learning is a clever narrative trick used to have the two heroes spend a little fun time together. It is not the focus of the chapter.

(Other drawbacks of this teaching method:

Cannot be extended into a classroom.

Requires compatibility (similar age, same sexual orientation, mutual attraction) of the teacher/ learner pair.)

More seriously, language learning in a classroom is a difficult task. It works with small groups, short and repeated periods of time and meaningful content. I taught as a TA in a US college, so I don't think the US are that deficient. You should hear some French students speaking English after seven years of middle and high school: I'm not quite sure we fare this much better. I remember U.S. college students who were at a level of proficiency allowing them to undertake gratifying and intelligent conversation.

I discovered the story this afternoon, insofar as it's been written, and fell in love with it. Nuangola has always been an exit off of I-81, a place to buy gas right by the exit, and a rest area on the Interstate both north and southbound for me. Nice to see a story set in the regions so close to the highway, yet so different from the faceless forests visible from the four-lane. But I can attest to the beautiful mountains thereabouts.

And the language lesson can't help but make me think of Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, Scene 4 (http://www-tech.mit.edu/Shakespeare/henryv/henryv.3.4.html). Okay, Shakespeare doesn't combine the lesson with gay sex, but Katherine IS hoping to learn enough to talk with her future husband, Henry, and the lesson IS about body parts.

I was never very good with standard foreign language classes. I can't think in anything except English, which makes conversation very halting, since each thing must be conceived in English and then laboriously translated. It wasn't until post-college that I discovered the idea of learning a foreign language through reading, without the speaking component, which works for me. Oh well, some of us are wired differently.

--Rigel, eagerly awaiting further chapters

Hmp...location revealed...I can't believe it. :P

The rest area and gas station are technically in Rice Township, not Nuangola. Well...if you go a little further uphill on that road next to the gas station for 250 feet, then you'll be in Nuangola officially. The lake does exist in the heart of the small community...but if you're thinking of that lake you can see near the mountain cut off the highway to the little north of the gas station...wrong one...it's further away from it hidden quite well in the woods from the highway view.

Congrats for solving the location puzzle with ease. :D

I didn't really think of it as a puzzle to be solved. It's just one of those place names on a highway sign that stays in your memory.

(Well, given the frequency with which I drive I-81 at certain times of the year, it doesn't actually take too much memory.)

The question that's always bothered me is: How do locals pronounce "Nuangola" anyway?

New Aing go' la ?

Nwang' o la ?

--Rigel

I didn't really think of it as a puzzle to be solved. It's just one of those place names on a highway sign that stays in your memory.

(Well, given the frequency with which I drive I-81 at certain times of the year, it doesn't actually take too much memory.)

The question that's always bothered me is: How do locals pronounce "Nuangola" anyway?

New Aing go' la ?

Nwang' o la ?

--Rigel

More like...

Noon-go-la

loving your story...

I found it really cool that the setting of you story is actually real. At first, I thought it was just some made up idyllic place somewhere in the northeast but when you started talking about I309, I looked it up and found that everything actually exists, the Nuangola lake and everything. I don't think you mention it but I'm guessing the high school that Steph goes to is Crestwood. From your descriptions in the story, Nuangola seems like a really beautiful place. Anyways, I hope you keep referencing real place names in your story because it just seems to make it more vivid and alive...

Nope, not Crestwood. Crestwood is newer (built in the 60s) compared to the actual school in the story. But...yea, the school I described would be in the same spot where Crestwood is now...can't deny it since I mentioned Ben and Steph walking down 309 to a caf

There is only one high school in that area, that'd be Crestwood. Fairview is an elementary school. Same for Rice.

The story is in the present...at least in this decade. I'm still too young to remember each decade very well beyond the 90s (the 80s are a blur in my mind... :P )

I did mention computer, internet, DVD, and cellphone. ;)

There is only one high school in that area, that'd be Crestwood. Fairview is an elementary school. Same for Rice.

The story is in the present...at least in this decade. I'm still too young to remember each decade very well beyond the 90s (the 80s are a blur in my mind... :P )

I did mention computer, internet, DVD, and cellphone. ;)

I think it's great that you used an actual location!

And Jack, aren't the 2000's a blur in your mind, too? :P

BTW, this is the 100th post in this thread! Congratulations on reaching the Centennial mark! :2thumbs:

Yes yes yes, I must thank you...your postwhoring has helped my thread to reach the 100th mark. :devil:

And 2000s aren't really a blur to me. I didn't even get drunk for the first five years of 2000s. After that...where am I? What year is it? :P