Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

For The Love

Jack, do not antagonize the goat! :o

Here is how it's gonna end (as from the report of the PI I paid to hack into CJames' computer):

Chapter 47 - The Showdown

(...)

Thaddeus stepped out of the shadow and into the bleak whitish spot the streetlight shed onto the ill-maintained Piedmont street.

"So, you made it, Mr Legivre? No hassling by the nosey Lonesome Valley Sheriff?"

"No, everything's all right, not to worry..."

Jacques Legivre was quite a match to Thaddeus. These two were quite the yin and yang of crime in this part of Arizona. Legivre had been raised in Pennsylvania, but having opted for a life of easy money and hence of crime, he had gotten in touch with his Canadian background. As smuggling maple syrup to Buffalo had proved rather tiring and not the cash-maker he thought it would be, he had turned to bringing caribou antlers illegally into the USA. It was a much more lucrative business, and it had gotten him connected with the seediest underworld. That's how he had met Thaddeus; if it all worked out well, he'd be a rich man before the week was over.

"Have you got what I'm willing to buy?"

"Yes, it was a piece of cake to get from these kids. They were about to make out," Thaddeus frowned with both disgust and envy, "when this guy Steve's mom came in and asked them to run some errand.The coast was clear, and I just had to grab the data stick from the desk."

He handed the grey rectangle to Thaddeus.

"You, moronic piece of crap! This is not a data stick! This is a lighter!"

(...)

lmao

You just tricked my mind for a second there..

Small things are easy to trick? :P0:)

PS - I'm watching you...

Nothing interesting to see here... Just a lurker... :ph34r:

Jack, do not antagonize the goat! :o

Here is how it's gonna end (as from the report of the PI I paid to hack into CJames' computer):

Chapter 47 - The Showdown

(...)

Thaddeus stepped out of the shadow and into the bleak whitish spot the streetlight shed onto the ill-maintained Piedmont street.

"So, you made it, Mr Legivre? No hassling by the nosey Lonesome Valley Sheriff?"

"No, everything's all right, not to worry..."

Jacques Legivre was quite a match to Thaddeus. These two were quite the yin and yang of crime in this part of Arizona. Legivre had been raised in Pennsylvania, but having opted for a life of easy money and hence of crime, he had gotten in touch with his Canadian background. As smuggling maple syrup to Buffalo had proved rather tiring and not the cash-maker he thought it would be, he had turned to bringing caribou antlers illegally into the USA. It was a much more lucrative business, and it had gotten him connected with the seediest underworld. That's how he had met Thaddeus; if it all worked out well, he'd be a rich man before the week was over.

"Have you got what I'm willing to buy?"

"Yes, it was a piece of cake to get from these kids. They were about to make out," Thaddeus frowned with both disgust and envy, "when this guy Steve's mom came in and asked them to run some errand.The coast was clear, and I just had to grab the data stick from the desk."

He handed the grey rectangle to Thaddeus.

"You, moronic piece of crap! This is not a data stick! This is a lighter!"

(...)

BUAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jacques Legivre... Maple syrup smuggler extrordinare! :2thumbs:

A lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hmmmm, I'm getting evil ideas.. :devil:

Oh my god...Jacques Legivre?

You're going to get it Frenchie boy. :blink:

Ya know.. I'm liking that name... Has a nice ring to it... :devil:

You don't even want to know how much it cost me to get this extra confidential information. :)

Shhhh, no fair leaking the plot! ;)

It's amazing...for the first time in ages, someone has managed to get me good.

This is unacceptable...usually *I* get people good, not vice versa. :blink:

I haven't given up. Wait till you see... 0:)

Chapter 28

Ben led me into the house where he greeted a man who seems to be in his mid-30s.

"Steph, meet Fran

It's amazing...for the first time in ages, someone has managed to get me good.

This is unacceptable...usually *I* get people good, not vice versa. :blink:

I haven't given up. Wait till you see... 0:)

I gotta admit, sometimes this is what your nickname reminds me of...bondage stories. :devil:

OMG, Jacques Legivre, maple syrup smuggler extraordinaire, has displayed a stunning grasp of the obvious! :P

Gee, give him a few more months, and he might even be able to tie his own shoes! :lmao::P

The Mount could refer to the place... Could be some sexual innuendo... Could be an increase... Polysemia, watch out, here comes the goat!

What? Me, mix sexual innuendo with a sermon? :o;)

I gotta admit, sometimes this is what your nickname reminds me of...bondage stories. :devil:

Obviously you never clicked on my signature's first line. *turns around and cries* Well I'll go write my cameo in your thread... Back on topic: Yeah CJames, it's highly likely you might mix religion and sinful sex (like Thaddeus adopting the practices of the Foreign Legion, but you wouldn't do that, would you?)

One small detail: being pretty much a sucker for ant dumb TV cop show with forensics in it, in which they find a hair and are able to have a DNA analysis within a half-hour - it didn't strike me at first. But then I wondered - since you seem to be intent on having a fiction that could happen in reality - do they really fingerprint people on the spot in Arizona?

Yeah CJames, it's highly likely you might mix religion and sinful sex (like Thaddeus adopting the practices of the Foreign Legion, but you wouldn't do that, would you?)

Who? Me? 0:)

And, umm, what were the practices of the forign legion that you are refering to? (Seriously, I've never heard anytyhing about anything sexual there?)

One small detail: being pretty much a sucker for ant dumb TV cop show with forensics in it, in which they find a hair and are able to have a DNA analysis within a half-hour - it didn't strike me at first. But then I wondered - since you seem to be intent on having a fiction that could happen in reality - do they really fingerprint people on the spot in Arizona?

I was hoping someone would ask that!!

In a word, yes and no! :lmao:

In this case, it is specific to Maricopa County, Arizona.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/07/722.asp

The text is copied below.

Arizona: Fingerprinting for Speeding Tickets

Maricopa County, Arizona's Sheriff will demand fingerprinting for anyone suspected of a routine criminal traffic violation.

Sheriff Joe ArpaioMaricopa County, Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio will now demand fingerprints from any motorist stopped for a routine traffic violation in his 9000 square mile territory. The fingerprints will be entered into the Automated Fingerprint Identification System. During an eight month voluntary test of the program, two-thirds of motorists refused to provide thumbprints, but as of Wednesday, Arpaio is no longer accepting "no" for an answer.

"This will be mandatory. No exceptions," Arpaio said, as reported in the Arizona Republic. "If they don't want to give the print, they're going directly to jail. Period."

Arpaio claims the fingerprinting is necessary to cut down on identity theft. The requirement applies to all criminal traffic violations such as speeding more than 20 MPH over the limit and DUI. Of 10,500 stopped during the pilot program, 3000 were listed as criminal violations. Over 99.5 percent of those stopped produced legitimate identification.

The colorful sheriff has made headlines for a number of initiatives. According to his own website, "Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and Sheriff Joe Arpaio are well known for a lot of things -- Tent City, pink underwear, green bologna, and chain gangs are just a few."

Source: Traffic violators face ID theft check (Arizona Republic, 10/20/2005)

BTW, take note of that last line: Tent City, pink underwear, green bologna, and chain gangs. Yep, That's Sheriff Joe. We now have the only chain gangs (prisoners chained together for work (usually road work) outside of the prison) outside of the deep south, and the only female chain gangs in the country. The Tent City is Sheriff Joe's answer to prison overcrowding: Put prisoners in tents, out in the hot, hot desert. (there is a big compound with armed guards, they aren't just camping). Pink underwear is one of his many measures designed to humiliate the prisoners and make jail less pleasant (Being in tents in 120 degree heat is yet another). The Green Bologna (for Green Bologna sandwiches, which go well with the green eggs) is another.

This is all real, guys. Sheriffs are very powerful here. If ya'll want any further proof, just google on "sheriff Joe" sometime.

• Site Administrator
If they get my fingerprints in the Arizona...it's kinda pointless. I live in Canada...so it won't follow me for the rest of my life once I cross the border to the Great White North as the fingerprints will only stay in the USA. :P

Not quite true. Homeland security records fingerprints for people arriving in the USA, and if they have your details they may be able to link the two sets of prints. After all, you don't have to travel to the USA to find yourself in the country -- a flight from Europe (for example) that is diverted to the USA because of bad weather will be enough to find yourself in the country....

However, if you stay in Canada (which is not really a hardship) then you'll be fine :D

Not quite true. Homeland security records fingerprints for people arriving in the USA, and if they have your details they may be able to link the two sets of prints. After all, you don't have to travel to the USA to find yourself in the country -- a flight from Europe (for example) that is diverted to the USA because of bad weather will be enough to find yourself in the country....

However, if you stay in Canada (which is not really a hardship) then you'll be fine :D

You missed one slight detail...Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans citizens do not have to submit their fingerprints when entering the USA. I crossed the border so many times within the last one and half years now (about ten times with my last crossing on December 9th) and I never got fingerprinted. Neither the Canadians that came from the same bus as me got fingerprinted. I'm American citizen...so I'm safe from the Homeland Security requirement. ;)

• Site Administrator
You missed one slight detail...Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans citizens do not have to submit their fingerprints when entering the USA. I crossed the border so many times within the last one and half years now (about ten times with my last crossing on December 9th) and I never got fingerprinted. Neither the Canadians that came from the same bus as me got fingerprinted. I'm American citizen...so I'm safe from the Homeland Security requirement. ;)

I stand, or sit, corrected.

However, in the interest of fairness, I'll donate my fingerprints (again) to Homeland Security later this month when I visit the land of the free....

I stand, or sit, corrected.

However, in the interest of fairness, I'll donate my fingerprints (again) to Homeland Security later this month when I visit the land of the free....

Be fortunate enough that you're not required to have a visa, or you would've ended up going through a painsaking and sometimes humilating and long process to get it (which I'm ashamed to say...).

Just curious...going where in the country and for what?

• Site Administrator
Be fortunate enough that you're not required to have a visa, or you would've ended up going through a painsaking and sometimes humilating and long process to get it (which I'm ashamed to say...).

Just curious...going where in the country and for what?

Los Angeles for work -- a week of internal company training.

I used to have a visa for the USA but they changed the rules a long time ago and I haven't needed one for ages.

True, but Mexicans and Canadians now do need passports, as do Americans for visits to return from those (or any forign) nations (It used to be just a driver's liscence).

Obviously, CJames, you're not working for the Arizona Board of Tourism!

ROFL! Arizona is a little weird, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Ummm, I think they will ask for more than that... I think you will need to go into Quarantine for a few months? (Animal import regulations, and all) :P

Try to have fun there when you don't have to work. :D

Now I'm writing Chapter Seven for my story...which I do hope to finish by the time the night ends. 0:)

So get writing! LoL! I've got to go get Ch 14 of FTL finished.

True, but Mexicans and Canadians now do need passports, as do Americans for visits to return from those (or any forign) nations (It used to be just a driver's liscence).

Again, you missed a small detail (funny, too many laws have small details...)

That is for entries by plane or boat. Land crossing is still passport-free, though they might require it from between Jan. 2008 to July 2009. Who knows, they're looking for a better way, like a better driver's license. We'll see.

Hey, I travel between two countries a lot...I pay a lot of attentions to the news concerning entries into Canada and the USA. :P

And you have seven posts to go. I'm watching you...

moblog_38496ca1a22ab.jpg

Again, you missed a small detail (funny, too many laws have small details...)

That is for entries by plane or boat. Land crossing is still passport-free, though they might require it from between Jan. 2008 to July 2009. Who knows, they're looking for a better way, like a better driver's license. We'll see.

Hey, I travel between two countries a lot...I pay a lot of attentions to the news concerning entries into Canada and the USA. :P

And you have seven posts to go. I'm watching you...

moblog_38496ca1a22ab.jpg

Hey, thanks, I didin't know that! That is strange. In other words, if I fly from Detroit to Toronto, I need a passport. If I drive, I don't. :wacko: That's the government I guess.

BTW, that brings up a scary point; Realisim in stories. It is sooo easy to make a goof like that in a story, but then how do you fix it?

Oh, and nice self-pic! :2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

• Site Administrator
BTW, that brings up a scary point; Realisim in stories. It is sooo easy to make a goof like that in a story, but then how do you fix it?

Option 1: Don't bother. There are stories out there that don't correspond to reality but are still good stories. I remember a short story by Isaac Asimov that relied on the fact that Mercury kept one face always to the Sun. Then the scientists revised that so Mercury isn't tide-locked. Isaac Asimov stated that he refused to change the story and said the scientists should've gotten their facts right in the first place. :P

Option 2: Unless it's a major plot point, just fix it and send a revised chapter out. This can be a problem with a site like Nifty, but most hosting sites will accept updates from their authors (I've done it twice to the sites that host my stories).

Option 3: Issue a press statement that, contrary to what people thought, the story does NOT exist in the real world, but in an imaginary place where any passing resemblence to reality is purely coincidental.

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..