[Jack Scribe] Life's a Grind

He really needs the chedder, but at the same time, he might have a moral dilema with dancing and possibly stripping. He just strikes me as someone with a lot of morals

I try :)

The dancing and stripping is presented as a pretty classy deal and he trusts the man in charge not to be a sleezoid. It's not a moral issue with Jeremy - and he definitely knows right from wrong. But you are correct...he "really needs the cheddar".

Terry, good to have a lurker on board. I purposely made the protagonist's background "ordinary" and had him take on a mature outlook on life. He was forced to grow up faster due to his family responsibilities. But Jeremy's also a bright guy and living in Chicago has given him a certain amount of street smarts.

Jack B)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I purposely made the protagonist's background "ordinary" and had him take on a mature outlook on life. He was forced to grow up faster due to his family responsibilities. But Jeremy's also a bright guy and living in Chicago has given him a certain amount of street smarts.

The combination of the two is great; there are so many people like that. They have their own special gifts, yet don't find their way into fiction and stories often enough. :D

T

This gets even better and better.

I know people like his Mum, who don't stop watching the TV when you talk to them; my 7yr old son in fact :lol:

Zach is a good guy, I really think he deserves someone better, on the other hand he's right about working at things.

Await the next part with great anticipation :D

I really enjoy the gym/ male strippers universe. It's quite exotic for me. Jeremy is still a very likeable character who seems willing to make the good choices. He's a good man, and makes us want to see good things happening in his life.

For the coffee thing: did you people notice he left "enough brewed coffee" for his mom and sister. At the same time, Gavin did speak the title phrase in offering the job over the cheese fondue, so what is it really about?

This gets even better and better.

I know people like his Mum, who don't stop watching the TV when you talk to them; my 7yr old son in fact :lol:

Zach is a good guy, I really think he deserves someone better, on the other hand he's right about working at things.

Zack wants the relationship with Gio to work. And Gio does, too. However, on whose terms?

There are several very single guys at this point in the story. And, as CJ points out, a "Charlie" in the wings. Hmmm.

TV watching and carrying on a converstion at the same time is an art form all its own. It's just an annoying part of life.

The point of Garin speaking the title phrase in the dialogue was merely an attempt to officially ackowledge the meaning of the title...although one could argue that Jeremy has a busy, full life. However, his life is certainly not a grind. (With apologies to baristas everywhere).

Jack B)

I really enjoy the gym/ male strippers universe. It's quite exotic for me. Jeremy is still a very likeable character who seems willing to make the good choices. He's a good man, and makes us want to see good things happening in his life.

For the coffee thing: did you people notice he left "enough brewed coffee" for his mom and sister. At the same time, Gavin did speak the title phrase in offering the job over the cheese fondue, so what is it really about?

I think you have it right about Jeremy and his appeal. Well, that, and the fact that he sounds decidedly hot. :devil:

My theory with the story Title is that if it relates to stripping, there is a kind of stripper dance called the grind (or bump-and-grind)

But, the coffee theory may well prove to be the case: I notice many references to coffee in this chapter (four, I think) yet there were none in prior chapters. But here they are, four, in the same chapter that the story title is mentioned. And as you mention, the story title is spoken in this chapter... Hmmm, I think we are onto something; a Coffee-klatch-connection! 0:)

Zack wants the relationship with Gio to work. And Gio does, too. However, on whose terms?

There are several very single guys at this point in the story. And, as CJ points out, a "Charlie" in the wings. Hmmm.

TV watching and carrying on a conversation at the same time is an art form all its own. It's just an annoying part of life.

The point of Garin speaking the title phrase in the dialogue was merely an attempt to officially ackowledge the meaning of the title...although one could argue that Jeremy has a busy, full life. However, his life is certainly not a grind. (With apologies to baristas everywhere).

Jack B)

I'm wondering what will happen at Bobby's while Jeremy stays over and Bobby's parents are away? :devil: I'm very much wondering who "Charlie" is, as it has been mentioned that Jeremy may already know him.

One thing I do recall from Jeremy's "encounter" with Bobby: Jeremy made the point of saying that he felt "like a brother" to Bobby.

That could be either denial, or, real. Hmmm, perplexing!

But, the coffee theory may well prove to be the case: I notice many references to coffee in this chapter (four, I think) yet there were none in prior chapters. But here they are, four, in the same chapter that the story title is mentioned. And as you mention, the story title is spoken in this chapter... Hmmm, I think we are onto something; a Coffee-klatch-connection! 0:)

I'm wondering what will happen at Bobby's while Jeremy stays over and Bobby's parents are away? :devil: I'm very much wondering who "Charlie" is, as it has been mentioned that Jeremy may already know him.

Did you notice that Charlie and coffee both start with a C and that coffee is just one letter less? There might be a Charlie & the Coffee Factory subplot.

Did you notice that Charlie and coffee both start with a C and that coffee is just one letter less? There might be a Charlie & the Coffee Factory subplot.

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that. I will say - shhh, don't tell anyone - that a major character in the story is introduced in the next chapter. 0:)

BTW, cappucino also starts with a C.

Jack B)

Hmmm. Hadn't thought about that. I will say - shhh, don't tell anyone - that a major character in the story is introduced in the next chapter. 0:)

Oh, my Gosh! Revelations! The Cappucino stuff really puzzles me. I'll have to research more!

First things first;

CHAPTER 7 IS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I think you are onto something there... And also, there is a restaurant (EatZi's, which is a hilarious name for a restuaunt, kudos, Jack!) downstairs from the gym. And, what is one of the tings served is said eatery? Yes, Coffee!

Jack B)

I'm reading chapter 7 now, commenting as I go.

I found the "you're so cheap" line to be side-splittingly funny!!! That made me laugh out loud. :2thumbs:

And yes, I did note cappucinos... But no Charlie, yet.

Unusual relationship between Robert and Jeremy; No emotional attachment on either part, as they both apparently went out with other guys the next day. I guess my theory of a relationship happening there was wrong, but, I've still got my coffee theory to hold onto. I'm glad they apparently BOTH feel the same way though; otherwise it could be a Zach and Gio situation.

Great chapter!! :2thumbs:

awww...I'm so glad that Jeremy's finally figured out what he likes and that he has Zach around to guide him through....another thing I'd like to mention about this story that I really like is the emphasis on SAFE sex. It's not very often someone see's that in a story. Way to go, Jack :worship::great: :king:

....another thing I'd like to mention about this story that I really like is the emphasis on SAFE sex. It's not very often someone see's that in a story.

All of my characters will always be SAFE. I'm glad, Nick, that you picked up on that. Promoting otherwise or ignoring protection in a story is very reckless. :nuke:

Okay, end of preaching.

Jack B)

All of my characters will always be SAFE. I'm glad, Nick, that you picked up on that. Promoting otherwise or ignoring protection in a story is very reckless. :nuke:

Okay, end of preaching.

Jack B)

I completely agree (and I admit that I'm guilty of that very thing in my stories).

One thing I would like to mention here is that "Eatzi's" rang a bell with me, and guess what? It's real!

http://www.eatzis.com/Default.aspx

Wow, that place looks good!!!

Jack, in my opinion that adds a great deal of realism. :2thumbs::2thumbs:

Hmmm, I do notice, tho0guh, that they sell coffee... :devil:

What?? Coffee at Eatzi's?? :music::music::music:

Ya drinks da coffee while ya eatzi chow. Here's another link. Never been there but it looks neat...and it is in the same building as the gym. Ah, Google is a wonder! Here's another link to check out:

http://www.eatzischicago.com/.

BTW, you won't find the Studs Barecats. It's merely a midnight fantasy. :devil: But you can check out the phonetic inspiration here: http://www.stutzbearcat.com/.

Jack B)

Hmmm, I do notice, though, that they sell coffee... :devil:

But not in this chapter! They eat at the International House of Pancakes! No mention of what they order for breakfast. So do they have coffee? And no coffee at the party. A punch "with a high octane rate", though.

Another word starting with C, and with the same number of letters than java: condom. Secret subliminal message?

Otherwise, the story's nicely moving on. Nice small episodes to illustrate what's going on in Jeremy's life. Zack is cool.

espressobar.jpg

What?? Coffee at Eatzi's?? :music::music::music:

Yes, I was shocked, too. :o

Ya drinks da coffee while ya eatzi chow. Here's another link. Never been there but it looks neat...and it is in the same building as the gym. Ah, Google is a wonder! Here's another link to check out:

http://www.eatzischicago.com/.

BTW, you won't find the Studs Barecats. It's merely a midnight fantasy. :devil: But you can check out the phonetic inspiration here: http://www.stutzbearcat.com/.

Hmmmm, Coffee, and now cars. Both begin with C.

BTW, "Studs Barecats" is a great name :2thumbs:

But not in this chapter! They eat at the International House of Pancakes! No mention of what they order for breakfast. So do they have coffee? And no coffee at the party. A punch "with a high octane rate", though.

Another word starting with C, and with the same number of letters than java: condom. Secret subliminal message?

Otherwise, the story's nicely moving on. Nice small episodes to illustrate what's going on in Jeremy's life. Zack is cool.

I have eaten at an IHOP, and they DO serve coffee, and lots of it, so I think we are onto something here.

I'm very curious regarding "Charlie", and also to see how Jeremy reacts to his first time on stage.

Hmmmm, Coffee, and now cars. Both begin with C.

I have eaten at an IHOP, and they DO serve coffee, and lots of it, so I think we are onto something here.

So why no mention of a nice cup of this black brewed wonder? Or of anything else? It couldn't be that the author just wants to focus on the conversation that's going on? He mentioned before they were willing to have an Egg McMuffin at McDonald's, and then the breakfast vanishes into thin air? Is barely alluded to?

Car (a cab!).

Charlie.

Condom.

COFFEE.

(Anybody good in cryptology to help out?)

warning....spoiler ahead

All I'm going to say is that it's time for Zach to give Gio the boot before he winds up with a raging case of AIDS. This guy can't keep his peter in his pants to save his own life..... literally!!

warning....spoiler ahead

All I'm going to say is that it's time for Zach to give Gio the boot before he winds up with a raging case of AIDS. This guy can't keep his peter in his pants to save his own life..... literally!!

You got to read chapter 8?

Yes ....you didn't??

Alas, not yet! On my reading list for later on this week. Your spoiler warning should have given me a hint. It must have been posted at awesomedude before. That's OK, I'll have forgotten by the time I read it! :)

warning....spoiler ahead

Unless there is some totally innocent explanation (and I doubt it) Then I think the boot is long overdue.

Charlie was great! A believable connection.

Charlie, though, is darn lucky that their little, um, "problem deflation" occurred in Illinois, because some states that would get him put behind bars (Jeremy is still a few weeks from his 18th, right?).

Oh, and dare I point out: I saw more references to coffee. :devil:

You got to read chapter 8?

Yes, it was up here, there just hadn't been an announcment yet. :)