[Jack Scribe] Life's a Grind

Ch 14 is up!

Wow, that was a lulu, a real roller-coaster. I had no idea anything was wrong until the "shattering shivers".

Jack, that scene gave me goosbumps. Very well done, and a real heart-breaker.

Loved the bit with Rachel's birthday! That was great!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee golly, we goats are going to post back-to-back. We certainly know how to eat-up a story! :2thumbs:

Another great chapter, Jack. I was happy that Jer got to come out to his mom before she passed. It might have been a big regret for him.

I liked the way Rachel called out to Jer that he had some explaining to do. :lol:

I sure hope the homophobes behave back at school.

Yeah, it's almost boys only night again. :music::2thumbs::wub::great:

Conner

I was happy that Jer got to come out to his mom before she passed. It might have been a big regret for him.

You may have noticed a dedication at the end of this chapter. My mother passed away in February and I decided to tip my hat to her in a literary sense. I was the caregiver for the past her two years. She had just turned 94 but the quality of life was rapidly heading south. It was time to go. I reluctantly add that I never came out to her. When I figured things out, I felt she was too old and from a too-distant generation to understand. Perhaps it was cowardly on my part but it is a decision I stand by.

There are still a few twists and turns ahead for Jer. Stay tuned.

Jack B)

You may have noticed a dedication at the end of this chapter. My mother passed away in February and I decided to tip my hat to her in a literary sense. I was the caregiver for the past her two years. She had just turned 94 but the quality of life was rapidly heading south. It was time to go. I reluctantly add that I never came out to her. When I figured things out, I felt she was too old and from a too-distant generation to understand. Perhaps it was cowardly on my part but it is a decision I stand by.

There are still a few twists and turns ahead for Jer. Stay tuned.

Jack B)

Condolences. I couldn't help but feel a bit sad for Jeremy and Naomi, and their mom, that they don't have a ceremony/ memorial service with their friends, hers, a special time during which everybody gathers just to remember her, even in a non-religious setting. I thought it wasn't very important until last summer and the untimely death of my dad (he had a great funeral, quite fun actually). The whole "in the next room but dead" thing did bring a few weird feelings I had at the time.

At the same time, everybody's quite supportive, and the siblings have to go with the flow, which avoids too much pathos.

Great birthday for Rachael. I wish we'd known her more so we'd have more of her point of view. Are we gonna be given some homophobic linebackers bashing somewhere down the road? That would be fun, but don't get Jeremy wounded or bruised in the process, we're watching you! ;)

Condolences.

I couldn't help but feel a bit sad for Jeremy and Naomi, and their mom, that they don't have a ceremony/ memorial service with their friends, hers, a special time during which everybody gathers just to remember her, even in a non-religious setting. Are we gonna be given some homophobic linebackers bashing somewhere down the road? That would be fun, but don't get Jeremy wounded or bruised in the process, we're watching you! ;)

Thanks, F, for your thoughts. Of the 94 years, my mother had a pretty terrific 90.

The reason I took the approach with Jer's mom was that she didn't have any relatives and very few friends. Plus, no extra "cheddar" (I love Nick's expression) for a funeral.

Chapter 15 will see a confrontation with a few of the jocks that Jeremy doesn't like.

Jack B)

Two would-be rapists in the slammer! Yeah! They may be thankful Robert and pals used legal ways to get even, because they could have fallen on nastier people who'd have beaten the crap out of them in this shed. At the same time, such low-lives would have gone complaining and whined. Great chapter, once again. The shower scene at the beginning was really funny too.

Don't do that too often, Jack. :angry: Talk about gut-wrenching. I kept thinking, no no no no, don't let this happen. I wanted to stop reading, but I couldn't.

So, you were trying to teach us what 'just in the nick of times' means??? :sheep:

There's no question that you achieved your objectives with this chapter.

Jack's objectives: Put my readers at ease, let them feel calm at first; cause them some alarm; move them into extreme anxiety; let them tread water in bottomless pools of fear; then, the coup-de-grace, shower them with sheer terror; finally, as they try to extricate themselves from the mess they have just made on the floor, tell them that everything's ok.

Don't feel so smug! :P Great chapter, Jack! :worship:

Conner

Don't do that too often, Jack. :angry: Talk about gut-wrenching. I kept thinking, no no no no, don't let this happen. I wanted to stop reading, but I couldn't.

I couldn't believe for a moment that the rape would go all the way through, though I thought it would be Billy who'd talk his thug of a friend out of it, in the nick of times maybe . At the same time, they were told over and over they were committing a heinous crime, so them getting caught without any doubt gets them out of the way, and unable to pursue any further any criminal behavior for a while.

...they were told over and over they were committing a heinous crime, so them getting caught without any doubt gets them out of the way, and unable to pursue any further any criminal behavior for a while.

Hate comes in strange packages for the damnedest reasons. Someone in an email was puzzled how a male homophobe could contemplate a sexual attack on another male. I've read is not uncommon for a confused, deeply-closeted (or someone in complete denial) person who has homosexual feelings to lash out at GLBT persons. I chose for the leader of this confused and troubled duo, Max, to have no problem justifying attacking Jer in a sexual way. It was acceptable in his twisted mind. Billy is weak follower and reluctantly was carrying out his leader's wishes. In his mind, he rationalized this as a "hole is a hole" situation. There is also a possibility that latent homosexual feelings were stirred up.

Like roller coasters at theme parks, this was the final big dip in the story. Glad you stayed along for the ride. There are a few surprises ahead but you can unbuckle your seat restraint.

Jack B)

Hate comes in strange packages for the damnedest reasons. Someone in an email was puzzled how a male homophobe could contemplate a sexual attack on another male. I've read is not uncommon for a confused, deeply-closeted (or someone in complete denial) person who has homosexual feelings to lash out at GLBT persons. I chose for the leader of this confused and troubled duo, Max, to have no problem justifying attacking Jer in a sexual way. It was acceptable in his twisted mind. Billy is weak follower and reluctantly was carrying out his leader's wishes. In his mind, he rationalized this as a "hole is a hole" situation. There is also a possibility that latent homosexual feelings were stirred up.

Like roller coasters at theme parks, this was the final big dip in the story. Glad you stayed along for the ride. There are a few surprises ahead but you can unbuckle your seat restraint.

Jack B)

I'm looking forward to seeing the new chapters when I return from my trip. :2thumbs:

However, I will point out that the caffeine has been flowing in some recent chapters... Coincidence? I think not... :devil:

However, I will point out that the caffeine has been flowing in some recent chapters... Coincidence? I think not... :devil:

I wouldn't be surprised the underlying message of this whole story is that coffee is evil. In the investigation of this rape attempt, I'm confident Max and Billy will turn out to be heavy coffee drinkers. And then, the wine drinkers will turn out to be the good guys. Like old 40s drama sponsored by Napa Valley grape growers...

I wouldn't be surprised the underlying message of this whole story is that coffee is evil...

ROFLMAO and drinking my morning coffee is difficult. Actually, I am curious what all this coffee is about in my story other than just a convenient way for the characters to get together. Probably just mirrors the wild success of Starbuck's.

Speaking of that Seattle caffeine behemoth; in Chapter 16, Garin and Jer get together for a chat at a Starbuck's! Yikes...the beans strike again.

Jack B)

Speaking of that Seattle caffeine behemoth; in Chapter 16, Garin and Jer get together for a chat at a Starbuck's! Yikes...the beans strike again.

How much did you get for your product placement deal? I don't know about others, but I feel an irresistible urge to have some coffee every time I read a chapter of Life's a Grind. We've suspected subliminal messages for a while, but why don't I start exercising or go-go dancing, but go straight to my (very old-fashioned) coffee-maker?

How much did you get for your product placement deal? I don't know about others, but I feel an irresistible urge to have some coffee every time I read a chapter of Life's a Grind. We've suspected subliminal messages for a while, but why don't I start exercising or go-go dancing, but go straight to my (very old-fashioned) coffee-maker?

You've found me out. I have cases of Starbucks beans delivered to my home each time I mention their merchandise...not. :lol: I will now admit that all the coffee drinking was a little running author's joke in a spoof on the title. F, you can do both. However, certain physical attributes are necessary to become a really popular dancer. 0:)

Jack B)

However, certain physical attributes are necessary to become a really popular dancer. 0:)

Jack B)

Yeah, I guess you mean shaving, this is something that can be done. I already shave my chest before live performances, otherwise the black hair shows through the white linen of my shirt once it's wet.

A disturbing trend has caused me to give this personal dilemma much thought.

I really appreciate the support from the few loyal readers (Bondwriter, CJames, Connor) who post comments. However, from the low amount of "hits' on my chapters, I've come to the conclusion that this story doesn't resonate for whatever reason with many of the GA readers.

I guess I'll just 'hang in there' and hope the story is read later in its completed form.

Thanks again.

Jack :(

I understand how you feel about this, Jack. I feel so lame, though. I have no idea how to help. :(

I love the story. :2thumbs:

Conner

Your support is important. Don't feel lame...it's a problem with which I need to adjust. I think my style of writing appeals to a more mature reader. That's it in a nutshell. Weekly postings wrap up with the final Chapter 19 on June 30th. I'll be taking some vacation trips this summer and plan on rolling out Desert Fantasies - a sequel to the Vegas story - just after Labor Day.

I also have an entry for the Summer Anthology - 2007. If the BDSM theme is considered too raunchy, :wacko: , I'll have it slipped, very quietly, into my Short Story listings. Look for (somewhere) It Doesn't Rain in Hell. :devil:

Jack B)

Yes, watching a bunch of crazy women (age isn't important) go nuts over some male strippers is a real hoot. :lol:

That was an entertaining chapter, Jack. :2thumbs: 'Jim' was certainly a surprise. The look that must have been on Jer's face...it's one of those 'priceless' moments. Jim handled it with poise as always.

When Charlie made the following comment

In Chapter 16: "He savored the aroma from the cappuccino and brought the cup to his lips. He was careful not to get his nose in the froth of the steamed milk. He had learned that lesson already."

"Naw. It's all paid for by a per diem allowance I have. How about a little more coffee?" "If you've got time, I'd love one more cup.(...)"

And, even more revealing yet: "They finished their coffee and decided that working on a friendship would indeed be worthwhile."

In chapter 17, coffee disappears. Wine (Australian & Californian) are mentioned, and bottled water is prominently featured.

Otherwise, the story goes on rather nicely. Jeremy's NY trip and the various private parties are really nice episodes. Are we reaching the end of Life's a Grind?

'Bondwriter' writes on an obvious caffeine high:

"Otherwise, the story goes on rather nicely. Jeremy's NY trip and the various private parties are really nice episodes. Are we reaching the end of Life's a Grind?"

The train is slowly coming into the station. The next two chapters will tidy things up...a few lose ends to handle. Thanks, F, for your creative comments.

Jack B)