Jump to content
Bot Attack ×

Headstall

Signature Author
  • Posts

    52,285
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Headstall

  1. I'm happy for you that he has rallied. Wishing him all the best.
  2. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    And another entry to come. Guess I was on a roll. #5 and #6 are of course very personal, but I like the form as expression. The 'dance of the hares' is that bit of secret magic I need to believe in. We seldom think about what is at our feet. We are a world within worlds, and there is wonder all around us. Haiku is perfect for explorations of nature. "Secret" is truly about so many things... and though I can simplify it, it still has dimensions others can find. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment, northie. Cheers!
  3. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    It's the only way "Secret" could have ended, my dear friend. Life is nothing without the rain. Welcome back! I've been missing you, and quite frankly, I was a little worried about you. Haiku allows so much freedom despite the confines of the syllables. I'm so pleased they are appreciated. Hope you are doing well. Stay in touch, sweet lady. Cheers!
  4. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    You picked my favorite Haiku, buddy. Happy to hear you liked the longer poems as well. I hope you see the connection between the two. You support is much appreciated, sir. Cheers!
  5. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    Haiku has always been one of my favorite forms of poetry, especially when it comes to nature. "Secret" and "Wisdom" belong together. Happy you liked them. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, kbois. I appreciate it. Cheers!
  6. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    Yes, Bill, those two are related. My horse passed after almost 31 years. I had her since birth, and her loss has been monumental. The elves might have been my imagination. "Secret" seems to have gotten people thinking. For me, it is about putting ourselves first. I was raised to look after others, or rather, I put that pressure on myself, to take care of everyone in my orbit. The thing is, there comes a time when people are fine on their own, and I think I've been guilty of not realizing that... or maybe accepting that as a truth. The thing is, it's okay to be selfish... to put myself first sometimes. I have learned to love myself, but that by itself is not enough. There was wistfulness in this one for me, and my perspective has changed... it's been forced to. "Wisdom" you have exactly right as well. It is connected to "Secret" and how I was feeling after I wrote it. Thanks and cheers, my friend!
  7. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    Through our many interactions, I expect you would excel at poetry. In saying that, I believe what is most important is what poetry gives you. If it is a vehicle to impress, I find it often loses its integrity. It must be honest and vulnerable, and you most certainly are those things. I meant for "Wisdom" to be amusing, but that doesn't diminish the truth of it.
  8. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    So true that it is a hard lesson to learn. Before we know it, large chunks of our lives have passed, and we've missed the point. It's taken a lifetime to feel centered, and to love myself at least equally to those I always considered more important than me. You are very wise, and I'm pleased you felt this poem as you did. I can't say I don't have regrets, but I'm still satisfied with most of my choices. There is one, though, I wear like a millstone around my neck. I lacked courage and wisdom, and let something slip away with only myself to blame. Cheers!
  9. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    #5 and #6 are both about Sky. #7 is also about the birdsong I heard while sitting at her grave, the joy of it lifting my mood. Yes, your comment makes me realize there is some comfort in my grief now. It is a comfort to have her here on the property instead of being carted away on a dirty truck. I love Haiku, and write them constantly in my head. Most of them are forgotten before I have a chance to write them down, but that's okay. It is a form that almost feels like meditation as I count my thoughts out in syllables on my fingers as I walk around the farm. They really are snapshots of a fleeting moment in time, allowed to drift away on the breeze. Cheers and thanks, my dear friend.
  10. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    Thanks, Parker. The 'dance of the hares' was written on an evening walk after a snowfall. Fortunately, I remembered to write it down when I got back inside. So many have been lost because I forget to do that. I'm pleased "Secret" elicited a response. I know what I felt that caused me to write it, and that process led me straight to "Wisdom". Glad that one could make you smile. I think many can understand that one. Cheers!
  11. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    Thanks, tim. I appreciate hearing your thoughts. Yeah, "Secret" is my convoluted way of looking back and seeing some truths. My circle is so much smaller now, through passings/deaths I didn't see coming, and just the natural process of drifting away. If there is a message, it is that it is okay to choose ourselves first, to be selfish sometimes, blocking out all the noise and doing what we truly want with an eye towards our own future. It kind of ties into "Wisdom". Cheers!
  12. Headstall

    Chapter 1 Wisdom

    I guess it's true that my poetry reveals me, nuanced by my past, present, inner voice, and my hopes and experiences. I think I benefit from the sharing more than anyone, for the release it provides me will often give new clarity. Thanks, Craig. I appreciate the support.
  13. This is a poem for everybody, but especially for those who have entered their winter. It brings reflection, but it brings peace too. I recommend the few minutes it takes to experience this work. Cheers!
      • 3
      • Love
  14. Here's hoping we both get long winters, Bill. I'm glad your seasons were fulfilling... thank you for sharing. Mine have been fulfilling too... challenging at times, but worth the trek through all the pitfalls. My kids are my world, and I'm good with that. Your poem made me quite reflective, and you can't ask for more than that from a reader. Well done, sir. Cheers!
  15. A very beautiful poem here. If you have a heart, you will feel this one. Cheers!
      • 2
      • Love
  16. Headstall

    You Were a Gift

    Got me in the feels, Krista. I remember missing the sound of tapping nails on my wood floors, and the emptiness that surrounded me each time an end came. You got this just right. A journey that is a testament to what they mean to us. Just excellent! Sad, but very beautiful. Cheers and thank you!
  17. A wonderful array of poetry here. Well worth the read! Cheers!
  18. Headstall

    ... and more....

    Spicy and naughty. I like this seasoning, Adi. An 'extensive' menu can be overwhelming. Your skyscraper made me chuckle. Superb poetry. Salt and Pepper? Absolutely it evolves. Love it!
  19. Headstall

    Classics

    There was such a parade here, Adi, from crimson dahlias bopping heads, to a planet aching, to pink hair, to a blemished baseball bat and a cemetery. I felt joy, darkness, renewal, and love... and braveness in your seasons. I read this four times, getting more each time. Well done, my friend. Your wonderful way with words shines through as always. Cheers!
  20. Haiku #1 Wind stretches its wings and weak branches fall to earth, carving new sun paths #2 Cataclysmic change, often unavoidable, could well have purpose #3 Leaves fall gracefully as so many things can do, but I am not one #4 Rain drenches granite, revealing depth of color until the sun comes #5 Mud blankets her grave, and she’d wear it with great glee, were she
  21. Haiku are well suited for observations in nature, but their meanings, for me, can be much deeper in their connection to the human spirit. All these poems are observations and outlets for what lays within.
  22. Aw shucks. Thanks, Bill!
  23. My DIL's cancer has spread. They will be removing the other half of her thyroid and her lymph node... and she will have radiation... possible chemo... not sure because it was hard for her to talk about. I know you all care... sharing this so you understand why I'm not talking much right now. My concern is for her, my son, and their beautiful children.
  24. Hi, drown. I'm still old.
  25. Hi, Tink. Really bad news today, but I can't talk about it right now. Signing off.
×
×
  • Create New...