-
Posts
52,264 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by Headstall
-
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this journey you just took me on. I started out at nineteen, buying my own first 'green' horse, one who bucked me off plenty till I realized my reins were way too long. I had no one to help me--kept him at an old farm/boarding stable for those first years. He was a 2 year old Appaloosa gelding, but really a long yearling, very bulldoggy type, and was pretty much the best thing that ever happened to me. We learned together, and I had him till he was over thirty. Showed him for years, even after he fractured a coffin bone. I was told to put him down by two different vets, but I wouldn't give up on him. After two years of care (much of it stall rest and hand walking), he trotted out sound one day, and we never looked back. We were almost always high point performance horse at every show we went to. Miss him still, but he got me started. Losing a horse is something I never truly get over. I think Jubal is someone most of us who went through the wars can understand. Being cautious at the right time could save your life in my day, and I had quite the journey to self acceptance. It was hard, but if it hadn't been, I wouldn't have my kids, and they are my whole world now. Bearpaw is actually part of a trilogy. The first two books are "Sidewinder", and "Larkspur: A Sidewinder Tale". Bearpaw is connected to those two books, although the characters are different. I hope you will check the first two out. I like used book stores, and I will be searching out my own copies of "The Awakening Land". Since my first western ("Finding Refuge"), I've been kind of cautious of reading other westerns because I don't want any influence, but I think I am comfortable enough with my style that it won't happen. Loved the conversation, my friend. You've had an interesting life, one I can relate to. Be well, and enjoy what's coming. Cheers... Gary....
-
Some excellent poetry here, but it left me a little raw. Some imagery was dark, and that's not a bad thing. Your writing is effective, and Columbine is astonishing so. Giving Tree wields power for sure. Thanks for sharing these. Cheers! G
-
Some fantastic imagery throughout this wonderful journey. Made me remember things... and feel them. Once again, well done, kbois. Cheers! I would say you are, without a doubt, a poet.
-
Hey, all.
-
Happy Birthday, Steve! Hey, Albert!
-
I've made a note of "The Awakening Land". Thanks. I've raised and shown Appaloosas most of my life, and just lost my last one in October. She was almost 31. We traveled a lot to, or at least moved a lot, but that was because my Mom was a single mother for many years. My bio dad worked for the railroad his whole life as an engineer/machinist. I'm with your dad on church. I've seen and read too many things to believe in organized religion. Faith, though, is often a theme in my stories. Faith is real... and personal. Yeah... poor Jubal. I hope you are understanding him. I found him fascinating to write. Thanks, friend. Cheers!
-
I was reminded of how tough this chapter was to write as I reread it just now. It was hard for Jubal to feel hope, but he's a man who has learned to cope with loss. Your great aunt sounds a hoot. My mom would go months without cussing, and then something would set her off. It was funny to us kids. My mom, an important member of the Church of the Nazerene, went through some tough times too in the fifties and sixties... and seventies and eighties. She learned the church wasn't there for her when she needed it, and walked away. She was a tiger when it came to us kids, so I think our moms had a lot in common. Happy that line struck a cord with you and made you think of Francis. Cheers and thanks for leaving this wonderful comment, friend.
-
You're hairier than I thought, spikeman.
-
Hey, all! They replaced 580+ meters of cable for my internet yesterday. No problems since. Hope y'all are well.
-
-
You probably have no idea how good this makes me feel, but it truly does. I love hearing about your history, and that you could hear your roots in the dialect. I have worked hard at attempting to get it feeling authentic, and now I often think in it. I don't have to do near as much editing as I did with my first western, but I do have to be vigilant of something slipping through... and also of overdoing it. I'm also happy to hear you are finding it a great story. There's still a lot of this tale left so keep sharing your thoughts if you can. I love these characters, and I hope you do too. Thanks, mdm! You've made my evening. Cheers! Gary.
-
A relatable, poetic way to cycle us through the seasons. As @centexhairysub said, it is delightful. The smell of lilac... sigh.... Thanks, guys. Cheers.
-
#5 might be about another person, but your words took me to that place where I am missing myself... and that serenity and peace of mind when my world feels in balance. At any rate, a superb poem. I've traveled in canoes and on rafts during my time on earth. I think I needed both, but I'll always choose the canoe now. Another great poem. I felt the fear and darkness of #1, but it works so well with the last word being 'hope'. Thanks for these. Cheers.
-
Wow. Some great poetry here. I absolutely got lost in the old tree. It was wonderful. 'Shame on my tongue' was beautiful, yet sad too. I understood. This is a collection to be proud of, Parker. I hadn't heard of or seen a golden russet in many years. I swear I can smell and taste on just from memory. The ones I remember weren't as smooth skinned as others. 'The apple of my eye' was charming, and ended with the best of lines. Well done!
-
The third and final installment of my poetry in the poetry anthology is up now... if anyone is interested...
-
I can't believe it! The Bell road crew is actually replacing the lines on my road in the pouring rain. Al said he wanted to make sure I was looked after. They're building a new tower just down from my driveway that will never get submerged no matter how deep the ditches get. Having a wonky internet every spring or when it rains heavily is frustrating.
-
Hey, all! My internet is very slow, but working. It's pouring rain here. Sad about Comsie.
-
RIP - Comicality - May 1975 -- April 2024
Headstall commented on Myr's blog entry in Gay Authors News
What shocking news. Comsie was a legend I found sweet to deal with. Our interactions were few, but you'd have to be a fool not to see the profound impact he had on online writing. His readers were absolutely devoted to him, and one thing I am sure of... he was way too young to leave us. Still, he left one hell of a mark all the same. RIP, Comsie, and my condolences to those who were close to him.- 169 comments
-
- 43
-
-
-
Goy my internet back for now, but they have to run a new line past a tower that has fallen and is submerged in water. The Bell tech says he is asking permission to bypass it, and they may be working on it as soon as tomorrow. Says it's the best solution because the ground is to soft in that spot for digging equipment. Fingers crossed he gets the all clear. He gave me his phone # so I can deal with him directly.
-
Breathless I hunger for that which renders me breathless, erupting my skin in pebbled bliss and inducing a salty sheen of sweat, the taste on the tongue an explosion of carnal delight Slick moisture adorning scalps, sleek, taut flanks, and pooling along furrowed muscle as my skin absorbs the scent of another, changing my own to a heady mixture telling me I’m part of a whole Ravenous fingers slide, glide, grip and explor
- 14 comments
-
- 13
-
-
-
A poetic exploration of this glorious thing called life.
-
No internet and cell reception data is sketchy. Hope all are well
-
Hello, sweet thing!
-
April Signature Author Feature: Incy Wincy Spider by northie
Headstall commented on Cia's blog entry in Gay Authors News
I hate spiders, but I read it anyway. Apparently, you have this thing for spiders... ugh... I admire them, but from a distance. Another good one, northie. -
Yikes! Read it and you'll understand. Creepy creepy creepy... but good. Cheers!
-
- 4
-
-
