Jump to content

drpaladin

Site Moderator
  • Posts

    26,338
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by drpaladin

  1. There is an old saw which says everyone has a novel in them. If it came to fruition, all would be novelists.
  2. The Allies cracking of the German's Enigma coding machine was one of WWII's biggest secrets and remained secret long after the war as a number of countries used the machines for secret messages, unknowing they were perfectly clear to both MI6 and the CIA.
  3. drpaladin

    Chapter 3

    ...I was little more than a plant with feelings. This really struck me as a sad observation on River's view of himself. He has a delicate zone to set up in order to be able to function and work. There is no way he's going out. LOL I wonder where they'll go?
  4. drpaladin

    Calvert Escapes

    Granger has given his king the thrill of being in combat without risk. It's a priceless gift. George III's father, George II, was the last English monarch to lead an army on the battlefield. Calvert seems to have a talent for close calls. The story of his escape should be a good one.
  5. drpaladin

    HMS Endymion

    The Endymion is a lovely ship and the transfer has gone smoothly with some familiar faces on-board. It would be nice if this posting was more than temporary.
  6. Hard tack is basically a cracker and if the recipe is followed, it can be edible for 100+ years.
  7. drpaladin

    The Summons

    I know. I'll get to it.
  8. drpaladin

    The Summons

    I have been toying with the idea of reading this series for awhile and for better or worse I'm starting here. It's off to a great beginning.
  9. Xeric is a relatively new term, being coined in 1926 and in active use by scientists by 1940.
  10. It was obvious when I awoke this morning I would have difficulty in a xeric environment. I was parched.
  11. drpaladin

    Chapter 2 S2

    You know with their abilities, they could easily make someone believe they were losing their mind. Just a passing thought.
  12. drpaladin

    Chapter 2 S2

    Luella is a good name for the neighbor. It puts me in mind of Luella Parsons, the infamous gossip columnist.
  13. drpaladin

    Chapter 2 S2

    Karen. Ken is a male Karen. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_(slang)
  14. drpaladin

    Chapter 12

    The customs of this time are as alien to them as they are to us. Even though they grew up during a time of war, the world of their time was more civilized. We are seeing in these three stories this period is on the cusp of change. Perhaps our group will help it along.
  15. At GA, we are blessed with many poetic members.
  16. Poetic comes from the Greek word poiētikos, meaning pertaining to poetry, creative, or productive.
  17. drpaladin

    Chapter 12

    I wonder if the events at Cragcairn are what the chairs under Scorpion Falls are linked to. *** Malachi and the Mage spirit made spectacular weapons for Lew and Aegir. With his new God gifted sword and knighting, Lew is officially part of the group. I'm wondering if Kallian and Lew will face difficulties in town.
  18. According to Greek legend, whoever could untie the Gordian Knot, a complexly intertwined rope securing an oxcart, was destined to rule Asia. Alexander the Great untied it by cleaving it into with his sword.
  19. Who knew so many people would notice what an obscure forecaster on The Weather Channel said?
  20. drpaladin

    Chapter 20

    This is also where we get into the morass of the sovereignty of the native tribes and conflicts between their will and existing state laws.
  21. Landmass can be a matter of perspective. To the unaware, the entire world is their immediate surroundings.
  22. drpaladin

    Chapter 20

    I think if it had been made common knowledge, they might have been able to shame the tribe into providing Martina and the refuge support. We'll never know.
  23. Pediment is thought to come from periment, likely a garbled version of pyramid.
  24. drpaladin

    Chapter 20

    Now Martina's motive is revealed, but she is an unlikely murderer. I don't believe we are there yet.
  25. Pediment and impediment come from different origins and are not connected in meaning.
×
×
  • Create New...